RE: [ccth] Toronto Classic

  • John Barnes
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 31, 2007
      Mark,

      I'll be there...guaranteed.

      My suggestion is that since you always have it at the same venue, why not
      try to entice people who live on the campus? Allow one residence to send 1
      person each for free, and every other person for $10...

      It might spark some fire between dorms, and if you can get a board out to
      each common room and speak with the dons about it, they might be able to
      make it a part of their Challenge Cup. Have a pre-tourney before the
      tourney, so that they're not quite beginners when the tourney rolls around.

      Let me know if you like the idea - and if you want me to do the leg work
      I'll be happy to give it a go.

      Youth might be what we need.

      JB

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
        Is Duane Rendle still at SMC? I know he is very familiar with the event, so
        I could work that angle through him. If you think you can do the 'leg work'
        ... thats's great! I can never make calls during the day and I am never in
        Toronto personally to do anything. I love the idea... shoulda done
        something like that sooner. I always advertised on campus when I was there,
        but not too many responses came from that . Maybe if you do it as a more
        organized thing as part of the Cup it would be a cool idea with the boys.
        MArk

        >From: "John Barnes" <johnbarnes98@...>
        >To: ccth@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: RE: [ccth] Toronto Classic
        >Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 23:13:16 -0500
        >
        >Mark,
        >
        >I'll be there...guaranteed.
        >
        >My suggestion is that since you always have it at the same venue, why not
        >try to entice people who live on the campus? Allow one residence to send 1
        >person each for free, and every other person for $10...
        >
        >It might spark some fire between dorms, and if you can get a board out to
        >each common room and speak with the dons about it, they might be able to
        >make it a part of their Challenge Cup. Have a pre-tourney before the
        >tourney, so that they're not quite beginners when the tourney rolls around.
        >
        >Let me know if you like the idea - and if you want me to do the leg work
        >I'll be happy to give it a go.
        >
        >Youth might be what we need.
        >
        >JB
        >

        > >From: "mark" <torontotablehockey@...>
        > >To: ccth@yahoogroups.com
        > >Subject: [ccth] Toronto Classic
        > >Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 02:26:05 -0000
        > >
        > >Any suggestions from the people out there for making the tourney more
        > >enjoyable in any way, shape, or form?
        > >
        > >I am opening the doors to new players an hour early and serving coffee
        > >and donuts... give rookies a chance to meet experienced players and
        > >learn a few basic tips from the pros. (I think Greg Scoma suggested
        > >this a while back)
        > >
        > >Any ideas for timing? format? scheduling? etc??? anything that
        > >returning players would like to see any different?
        > >
        > >Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
        > >
        > >MARK
        > >
        > >TORONTO -- Sat. March 17th... will you be there???

        Buy what you want when you want it on Sympatico / MSN Shopping
        http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=081805
      • sabre_in_virginia
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hi guys! Seems both Carlo and I are working on getting back to 100%
          healthy.

          As for suggestions, you might want to do a "search" or "find"
          whatever it is called, of the messages I've posted. Awhile back I
          put some thought into this to help ensure rookies/new players
          returned and that they had not only an enjoyable experience but took
          something away from the tournament to build upon. Same for the
          tournament organizer.

          As I recall that was to:
          1) conduct a training/education session before the tournament by the
          best players at that tournament for any player who wants to learn.
          As a tournament organizer you may want to "strongly" encourage new
          players / rookies to participate.

          2) You could do this on one sheet of paper. Send out before and
          after tournaments a quality improvement and expectations survey.
          Designing questions, that's a topic unto itself. However, most of
          your questions should involve yes/no and scaleable responses to
          gauge strength of their opinion, circling on a scale of 1-5. You
          should include at least two open ended questions (e.g. "what did you
          like about the tournament?"--so you get feedback on things you did
          right and you'd want to ensure you continued. And questions
          like, "what did you not like about the tournament?") and one "Any
          other comments?"

          I think this would help players, tournament organizers, the CCTHF
          and table hockey in general. I'd expect that over time this quality
          improvement process would help you along on the path toward
          perfection, creating or improving policies, processes, standards,
          technology, etc. Don't let this sound overwhelming, you can do this
          at a relaxed pace, as much or as little as you like. How do you eat
          an elephant? (one bite at a time).

          Sabre_in_Virginia
          Greg

          --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "mark" <torontotablehockey@...> wrote:

          > Any suggestions from the people out there for making the tourney
          more
          > enjoyable in any way, shape, or form?
          >
          > I am opening the doors to new players an hour early and serving
          coffee
          > and donuts... give rookies a chance to meet experienced players
          and
          > learn a few basic tips from the pros. (I think Greg Scoma
          suggested
          > this a while back)
          >
          > Any ideas for timing? format? scheduling? etc??? anything that
          > returning players would like to see any different?
          >
          > Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
          >
          > MARK
          >
          > TORONTO -- Sat. March 17th... will you be there???

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2007
            Hey Mark: thanks for asking. Raise the games up a few inches for us
            old guys, if you can. In Peterpatch we're spoiled by Sid's many
            inventions, especially the legs that raise the game about 4" - 5"
            above the standard tables, and really save our backs. I'm sure Sid
            would share his design with you.

            See you on St. Patty's Day.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 5, 2007
              Welll..... the winner of the first to register for the Toronto Classic
              is.....

              BERNIE KUNZLER!!!

              (scattered applause)

              Well Bernie, as a prize for your tremendous achievement, Sokolski will buy
              you one FREE BEER!!!
              Yes, BEEEE-----EEEER!!!

              (standing ovation)

              Who will be the next to drop the gloves and enter the T-dot???

              mark

              Free Alerts�: Be smart - let your information find you�!
              http://alerts.live.com/Alerts/Default.aspx
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 5, 2007
                Was I right yet once again!!!! King Carlo does it yet again. :-)

                You want to know who is next. My money is on Sid. Lets wait and see.

                m c <torontotablehockey@...> wrote:
                Welll..... the winner of the first to register for the Toronto Classic
                is.....

                BERNIE KUNZLER!!!

                (scattered applause)

                Well Bernie, as a prize for your tremendous achievement, Sokolski will buy
                you one FREE BEER!!!
                Yes, BEEEE-----EEEER!!!

                (standing ovation)

                Who will be the next to drop the gloves and enter the T-dot???

                mark

                <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                mailto:ccth-digest@yahoogroups.com
                mailto:ccth-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • dakhorse2005
                Message 7 of 22 , Feb 5, 2007
                  --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "m c" <torontotablehockey@...> wrote:
                  I finally won something! LOL :o) Actually I can`t believe I won that
                  DVD player in Peterbourgh! I am still in shock! Shit I thought I
                  mailed that late and maybe Sid would beat me! Anyways a free beer
                  would be great! My favorate brand! LOL :o) Free beer tastes the best!
                  LOL You know what us German Canadians like! LOL :o)

                  Bernie :o)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Feb 16, 2010
                    whew...
                    The Toronto Classic was moved up from its usual March break slot, as the Sokolski house is expecting its third child any day now (so in retrospect the weekend was very successful as I did not have to rush out to the hospital).  Last year, we played with 68 participants, this year it was 33.  Many thanks to the faithful table hockey followers that attended... I realize that many people had to make sacrifices in order to be there on the Valentine's day of a long weekend!
                    On Saturday, we stopped by in Peterborough to get the game stands from Sid... thanks Special K! We also did a mini road-trip to Whitby to see if we could duct tape Justin Hawthorne and kidnap him for the weekend, but the young man was admant that his studies were a priority this weekend!  Damn responsible kid... sheesh!
                    Sunday started with loyal helpers such as Burt Brassard, Rick Dunlop, as well as William Poirier and Mitchel Schroeder doing a massive helper job in setting up the event.  Danny Saliani was clutch in helping to get the prizes from the sponsors, as well as the t-shirts.  There were 50 prizes, each listed on a prize tag, and then inserted into an I-Toys balloon.  Lunchtime saw a catered buffet, and the stand up comedy of "Dred Lee", table hockey player Curtis Wilson, who entertained the crowd after they ate.
                    Miro C took care of the stats and separated the A and B division playoffs.  The playoffs were a spirited affair, with many tight series going the distance.  Sal Lima ended up claiming his second B-division championship... well done!
                    The A-division saw the emergence of a few young table hockey superstars... William Poirier, Dylan O'Hagan and Brian O'Hagan each had a great day at the rods.  Welcome to the A-div boys!  Dylan had a great series versus Dave Kraehling, and looked poised for the upset, but Dave showed his experience by coming back to win.
                    Sid Kloosterman was hot all day long, beating Greg Peden in the quarter finals, Danny Saliani in the semis, and then claiming his first Toronto Championship over Mark Sokolski in the finals!  Sid has claimed the first Ontario Hat Trick by winning each of Ontario's 3 Powerplay2 events!!!  Well done, Special K!
                    Mark Sokolski took series wins against Bernie Kunzler, former champ Dennis Doherty, and #1 ranked Dave Kraehling, before finally taking a beating at the hands of Kloosterman.  Mark was scoring... but Sid was scoring a LOT... from EVERYWHERE!  It's like fighting for a pot of honey with a swarm of bees when you play Kloosterman.  He is fast and can score goals with a wide variety of attacks.  Great player...
                    The boys, Mitch and William - they were sick... really sick in Mitch's case.  A world of thanks to Maggie Kloosterman and others who helped the boys keep it together while the tourney was coming to a close.  Burt Brassard, Dennis Doherty, Josh Kloosterman and the O'hagans were also very helpful in helping to put everything away while the semi-finals were being played.  We needed to get those boys to a doctor and Mitch was sick for over 20 hours (he threw up over 40 times in that span of time).  We got him taken care of and had to leave from Toronto back to Petawawa much later than expected, as he could not handle the 5-hour ride back.  (In any case, despite the massive sickness, they swear the weekend was worth it, so we know the tourney and the fun along the way was a unique experience...)
                    Hopefully, I have not forgotten to thank anyone in all that.  I am in slow recovery from it all,as I was up all night on Sunday taking care of my "Petawawa patients"... Burt had to go stay at Dave's, so I missed out on my beer buddy time (let's do that soon though, Burt!)  It was a great day, and the series I played against Dave and then Sid were the most fun and most memorable table hockey experinces I have had in a loong while!  A special thanks to you two for the fun and sportsmanship that was involved... can't wait to see the youtube footage, Dave!
                    Mark