Roots of Table Hockey

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10, 2006
      Interesting piece you wrote, Bernie, about your roots being the
      Bobby Orr Munro game. And Dave, I too have looked in on your pics of
      your league in Alberta with great interest. The first time I played
      Bobby Orr Munro was 3 weeks ago! It's a favorite of Bill Holdcroft's
      here in Peterborough and he introduced it to a few of us Powerplay2
      league players here and we had a blast with it. Like Bernie, I love
      all table hockey games and everything to do with them.

      My roots began with (are you reading this, Lemont, Ill. guys? I'm
      gonna get to the Shark Tank one day, maybe next year)the Coleco 5340
      game, though I learned the actual name of it only in the past year
      from seeing pics of it on various table hockey websites. In fact,
      the best one I saw was being sold out of Kitchener on e-bay
      recently. It had the metal players -Bruins and Rangers - and was in
      mint condition. The Rangers goalie had rust all over him, though,
      but man, he was gorgeous anyway!

      The game that my friend, John, and I played as adolescents had the
      metal Flyers and Penguins. What we liked best about it was the
      straight-slot defenceman who could take what John dubbed the "big
      gun" shot. If the defenceman failed to score directly then the
      centerman would often deflect the shot in.

      I know I've told this story before but I love telling it and
      retelling it. When John and I wore this game out we found it to
      be "just-not-the-same" playing my Coleco 5380. Then, one hot summer
      day John discovered along the roadside where we grew up an abandoned
      Coleco 5340 game in perfect playing condition. What a stroke of
      luck! And the 16 plastic NHL teams from my 5380 game fit perfectly!

      John and I played Stiga for about 3 years in the early 90's.

      Today, it's the Powerplay2 game for me, though at our "Bobby Orr
      Munro and other games" evening 3 weeks ago, Jim Maker brought along
      his Labelle game and it was the one I chose to play on most. I'm
      getting to like it more and more. Like Bernie wrote, all table
      hockey games are great!
    • dakhorse2005
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2006
        --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "flyindutchman45" <flyindutchman45@...>
        wrote:
        Hello Sid! Only 3 weeks ago you played the classic of all Canadian
        classics! Good to hear! Munro was the very first table hockey game
        invented in the world in Burlington Ontario! Actually I think it was
        Toronto first and then a factory was set up in Burlington! But
        anyways a great history is attached to this game which I think we
        should never forget! It is truely "The Roots" of Table Hockey!

        Bernie :o) P.S. A few years ago I brought the game to Drummondville
        Quebec for Junior and Hugues to try! They loved it! Metal gears under
        the game! Recently Timo and his gang from Finland had a crack on the
        game and also enjoyed it! Not to mention Jacob Lindhal and the Swedes
        tried a BOS game in Los Angeles and totally loved it! :o)