Re: Right hand centerman vs Left (Coleco)

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 11, 2006
      Right Centerman, left centerman, light puck, heavy puck..makes no
      difference as Carlo will win them all

      --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny" <mvthl@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > > You already can't just jump from one table to another without
      > some good pratice time before, so if you have to change from right
      > to left on top of that, its an added pain in the ass.
      > >
      > > Ask people who have done this.
      > >
      > > PS: I'v never played left hand center and I won in Quebec last
      > year so its not because I can't play left side that I am saying
      > this. It's just what I think personally. We all have are own
      > thoughts and thats O.K
      > >
      > > Kenny <mvthl@> wrote:
      > > It was'nt a mishap nor was it a problem. It just was what it
      was.
      > > A little different.
      > >
      > > Kenny
      > >

      > > --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "aj5380" <aj5380@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > AHA! My favorite subject....There is no question that the LH
      > > > centerman is better. For 2 reasons.
      > > > 1) You can play Center and Goalie with the same hand by
      flicking
      > > the
      > > > goalie rod with your thumb.
      > > > 2) The Center slot is curved so that using LH center, both
      > centers
      > > > can get in the faceoff circle easily.
      > > > This applies less at faceoffs (since both players are outside
      > the
      > > > circle) than duing the game where one center can prevent the
      > other
      > > > center from getting the puck by pulling the center all the
      > back.
      > > >
      > > > We will put this issue to bed once and for all by allowing
      > players
      > > > to choose the style of game they prefer at LAS VEGAS, JAN 14,
      > 2006
      > > > in association with the stigalasvegas 2007 tournament. Please
      > make
      > > > your reservations for the Coleco Classic in Las Vegas.
      > > >
      > > > If enough Canucks say yes to Lemont, IL July 27 this year, I
      > will
      > > > would like to run a tournament there giving people the choice
      of
      > > > Coleco S-slot game type that they want to use. POLLS are open
      on
      > > > CCTHF, Table Hockey Tavern, and USTHA and close on March 12.
      > > >
      > > > FINALLY, if I can get a Stiga player to try my game, I'll will
      > > > gladly accomodate them with an RH center. Kenny sorry about
      your
      > > > mishaps in LV on my games. At least some of us Coleco
      > > > guys are Flexible for the love of TH. Personally, I can't wait
      > > until
      > > > Stiga makes a game where the Right Wing goes behind the net or
      > > where
      > > > the Centerman can push his stick into the goalie's pads for the
      > > > rebound a la Coleco S-Slot!
      > > >
      > > > P.S. I have several games with the plastic flashing on the RH
      > > > slot still there, proving that those games came out the box
      with
      > > > a LH center. In my adventures, I also picked up a game with the
      > > > center slot curving to the left at center ice to accomodate the

      Release
      > > > Date:

      > > Table hockey game Table hockey Games

      > Service.
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Make Yahoo! Canada your Homepage Yahoo! Canada Homepage

    • aj5380
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 11, 2006
        OK so now we debate the puck. There are 6 types of pucks that can be
        used on Classic Coleco:

        In the beginning, there were wooden pucks and ball bearing pucks

        then came
        1. Coleco Solid Puck (1960-1979)
        2. Coleco Hollow straight sides (1980-9)
        3. Irwin PP2 Hollow Puck with bevelled (rounded
        2. Coleco Hollow Puck with ) edges (1990s)
        4. Chicago (CTHL)pucks (Puck #2 above filled with clear epoxy)
        5. ATHL puck? (Puck #4 filled) from Montreal and Sherbrooke leagues
        6. Two Labatt Blue bottle caps stuck together (for really desperate
        TH Players)

        My preferred puck is a Puck #2 (in good used condition). Why?
        Because it can be lifted by any player to score a goal above
        goalie's left or right shoulder. Since SCTHL uses 5.25" wrap around
        glass, we rarely have pucks that go out. New Puck #2 are useless as
        they will roll on edge. They also catch on the slots sometimes. If
        the puck hasn't been beat up from earlier play, we sandpaper the
        sharp edges on new pucks before using them.

        2nd choice is Puck #1 with Tin Players as originally designed. Makes
        it a very, very different game. Very enjoyable especially with the
        tinny sound that make it sound like a swordfight.

        Lastly, Puck #6 cuts up the board pretty bad, scratches the players,
        and the glass, but hey, if you're desperate to play TH and have no
        puck, it does the trick.

        Let the debate begin, regards

        ..aj5380

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 11, 2006
          If I remember corectly Light PP2 pucks = 3.1 ounces vs Heavy = 3.3 ounces.

          Not much difference one might say but the Light pucks create much more lively rebounds from the boards thus creating a much more rapid game.

          Also the pucks roll alot so you can lift the puck easily if you whip a shot while it is standing up.

          Even if it is flat, with some good presure you can make it lift.

          I guess the groves on both sides create air pockets which makes this puck fly all over the place.

          Like Burt said, alot of fluky goals and some what of a lesser control, but I still enjoy it greatly.

          The reason why I personally don't use it in MTL is because more people prefere the Heavy Puck. I enjoy both equally, so its no big deal for me. Right & left Centerman bother me more but I woun't get an ulser over it :-) What's your take on it? How about everyone else?

          Kenny <mvthl@...> wrote:
          I think we're pretty much in agreement on this.

          Now what I wouldnt mind hearing is both sides of the "light puck vs
          heavy puck" on coleco debate. Of coarse I have my own theories on
          this but I would first like to hear from those who know.

          Kenny

          --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, carlo bossio <bossiocarlo@...> wrote:

          > Hey Kenny, I seriously think at an event like Vegas is were most
          Stiga players are more relucktant ( I probably spelled it wrong!) to

        • Martin Labelle
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 13, 2006
            Light puck PP2 = about  2.0 grams
            Heavy Puck PP2 filled = about 3.5 grams depending on filling used
            Orignal solid coleco = about 3.8 grams
            Stiga = 4.5 grams

            This is measured using 10 pucks
            May also vary depending on wear.

            I played the light puck this week in our local league and the heavy puck this week-end in Quebec and it didn't make a significant difference. Same for right vs left centerman.

            Martin

            Kenny <mvthl@...> wrote:
> [...]

            > > the Centerman can push his stick into the goalie's pads for the
            > > rebound a la Coleco S-Slot!
            > >
            > > P.S. I have several games with the plastic flashing on the RH
            > > slot still there, proving that those games came out the box with
            > > a LH center. In my adventures, I also picked up a game with the
            > > center slot curving to the left at center ice to accomodate the
            RH
            > > center.
            > >

            > > --- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "Kenny" <mvthl@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Mr. Lindahl and I played the left center coleco game in Vegas
            > for
            > > > about a half our(AJ's game). Who knows how many times we
            grabbed
            > > the
            > > > goalie on a center reaction play.   :)
            > > >    On any game, I guess my preference would be a right slotted
            > > > center but it's just another adjustment that has to be dealt

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • andrewbazan2000
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 15, 2006
              -The 1st TH pucks (Glavin 1927/Munro 1932) were steel balls.
              The 1st "disc" pucks (Aristospel 1938) were made of wood.
              I posted (tavern) that Eagle's 1st discs were made of rubber.
              Correction, those early green and redish brown pucks were made of
              wood. The next disc included a magnetic property (the magnetic puck)
              Munro 1956-later patented. At least 7 variations of the magnetic puck
              have been produced.
              The 1st roller puck (disc with a ball in the middle) I am aware of
              were made by Eagle in the mid to late 1950s for their curling games.
              Stiga included a TH roller puck in 1959 (the ball was much smaller in
              relation to later pucks by Munro. Tudor's 1962 model included a wood
              puck with a removeable brass cylinder (I've only seen 1). Eagle's
              1963 "hollow" or "diamond" puck (designed for "lift" shots with the
              tan stick players-later patented) were the 1st plastic pucks I'm
              aware of. Munro's 1st roller pucks came out in 1965 with the 1st
              Bobby Hull endorsed games (yellow pucks known for their unique roll
              when on end). Gotham/MOSH roller pucks were larger, while BOS pucks
              were smaller than Munro's, though similar.
              "Stiga Bords Hockey Bibeln" discusses 14 (pictures of 13) different
              Swedish pucks (not just Stiga) and more were produced around Europe
              and in Asia.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 15, 2006
                Hi Andrew,
                You could write a book about table hockey pucks !
                Thanks for this detailed chronology

                MArtin
> [...]
                > > vs
                > > > heavy puck" on coleco debate. Of coarse I have my own theories on
                > > > this but I would first like to hear from those who know.
                > > >
                > > > Kenny

                > most
                > > > Stiga players are more relucktant ( I probably spelled it wrong!)
                > > > play a Coleco tournament right before. Imagine if centerman is at
                > > > left!!!! That will scare the shit out of them and with reason as
                > > > think that will add another fuck up to their game no?

                > > time
                > > > than people think.
                > > > some good pratice time before, so if you have to change from
                > right
                > > > to left on top of that, its an added pain in the ass.

                > last
                > > > year so its not because I can't play left side that I am saying
                > > > this. It's just what I think personally. We all have are own

                17/02/2006

              • andrewbazan2000
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 16, 2006
                  1 more thing:
                  "Hockey ETT" had the 1st known "disc" puck (wood). The game was paten-
                  ted (1923) under the name "Game of Table Hockey"-The 1st recorded use
                  of the term TH, though it was a self propelled game, whereas modern TH
                  is mechanical.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 16, 2006
                    My pleasure! Sorry I still have not written the BOS info I promised
                    you long ago- that will come some time in the future. Andrew

                    -- In ccth@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Labelle" <mlabelle@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Andrew,
                    > You could write a book about table hockey pucks !
                    > Thanks for this detailed chronology
                    >
                    > MArtin
                    PUCKS