Re: [CRN-L] one more endarterctomy question

  • JoAnn Kergides
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
      Yes, sometimes our surgeons place the lines in the OR but most of the
      time it's anesthesia who places the lines.

      Jo Ann F. Kergides, CPC-H
      Physician Services Coder
      UMDNJ-SOM Vascular Surgery
      42 E. Laurel Rd, Ste 2505
      Stratford, NJ 08084
      Phone: 856-566-6790
      Fax: 856-566-6122

      This email communication may contain private, confidential, or legally
      priviliged information intendend for the sole use of the designated
      and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the intended
      recipient or have received this email in error, please notify the sender
      immediately and permanently delete all copies of this email including
      all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended
      recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to all
      applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and
      confidentiality of such information.

      >>> carrie.caldewey@... 10/31/2007 6:50 PM >>>
      Is it common to place a central line and/or an femoral arterial line
      as part of the procedure? I'm trying to determine if I can charge
      separately for this with a carotid endarterectomy. Not sure of the
      medical necessity (and nothing in the dictation to clue me in).
      Thanks for any insight you can provide!
      Carrie
    • Carrie
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
        So then that brings me to the second part of my question: what's the
        medical necessity? Can I just use the 433.1x diagnosis and expect
        payment? The dictation clearly indicates that it was the vascular
        surgeon who placed the line(s), but no explanation as to why, and
        I'm inexperienced in this area.

        Thanks for your help, Jo Ann.

        Carrie Caldewey, CPC
        Coding Supervisor
        Northern California Medical Associates

        --- In CRN-L@yahoogroups.com, "JoAnn Kergides" <kergidjf@...> wrote:

        > Yes, sometimes our surgeons place the lines in the OR but most of
        the
        > time it's anesthesia who places the lines.
        >

        > Jo Ann F. Kergides, CPC-H
        > Physician Services Coder
        > UMDNJ-SOM Vascular Surgery
        > 42 E. Laurel Rd, Ste 2505
        > Stratford, NJ 08084
        > Phone: 856-566-6790
        > Fax: 856-566-6122
        >
        > This email communication may contain private, confidential, or
        legally
        > priviliged information intendend for the sole use of the designated
        > and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the intended
        > recipient or have received this email in error, please notify the
        sender
        > immediately and permanently delete all copies of this email
        including
        > all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended
        > recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to all
        > applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and
        > confidentiality of such information.

        > Is it common to place a central line and/or an femoral arterial
        line
        > as part of the procedure? I'm trying to determine if I can charge
        > separately for this with a carotid endarterectomy. Not sure of the
        > medical necessity (and nothing in the dictation to clue me in).
        > Thanks for any insight you can provide!
        > Carrie

      • JoAnn Kergides
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
          I use the same diagnosis that prompted the surgery.

          >>> carrie.caldewey@... 11/1/2007 12:54 PM >>>
          So then that brings me to the second part of my question: what's the
          medical necessity? Can I just use the 433.1x diagnosis and expect
          payment? The dictation clearly indicates that it was the vascular
          surgeon who placed the line(s), but no explanation as to why, and
          I'm inexperienced in this area.

          Thanks for your help, Jo Ann.

          Carrie Caldewey, CPC
          Coding Supervisor
          Northern California Medical Associates

          --- In CRN-L@yahoogroups.com, "JoAnn Kergides" <kergidjf@...> wrote:

          > Yes, sometimes our surgeons place the lines in the OR but most of
          the
          > time it's anesthesia who places the lines.
          >

          > Jo Ann F. Kergides, CPC-H
          > Physician Services Coder
          > UMDNJ-SOM Vascular Surgery
          > 42 E. Laurel Rd, Ste 2505
          > Stratford, NJ 08084
          > Phone: 856-566-6790
          > Fax: 856-566-6122
          >
          > This email communication may contain private, confidential, or
          legally
          > priviliged information intendend for the sole use of the designated
          > and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the intended
          > recipient or have received this email in error, please notify the
          sender
          > immediately and permanently delete all copies of this email
          including
          > all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended
          > recipient, secure the contents in a manner that conforms to all
          > applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and
          > confidentiality of such information.

          > Is it common to place a central line and/or an femoral arterial
          line
          > as part of the procedure? I'm trying to determine if I can charge
          > separately for this with a carotid endarterectomy. Not sure of the
          > medical necessity (and nothing in the dictation to clue me in).
          > Thanks for any insight you can provide!
          > Carrie

        • Carrie
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007