Setting Benchmark for Billing services

  • Srijai VR
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
      Hi

      I have a new client who requires us to provide with the benchmark on the
      areas like Charge entry, coding, eob posting and AR follow up. Although we
      have stated to the client that setting up benchmark for AR follow up will
      depend upon the complexity of the specialty and on other factors like the
      age of AR and the payer mix, the client is still insisting on setting up the
      benchmarks.

      For instance, the agents will be able to address approximately 50 accounts
      on an 8 hour shift while working on a 60 day AR and at the same time while
      working on AR greater than 365 days, the agents will be able to achieve a
      target of only 20 to 30 accounts as there will be lot of issues on those
      claims.

      Can anyone from the group give us standard benchmarks that can be projected
      to the clients in areas like charge entry, eob posting and coding? You can
      reply to me directly at srijai.vr@... or srijai_r@.... Your help
      on this matter is highly appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Srijai.V.R, CPAT
      Healthcare Operations Manager
      Amtex Systems Inc.
      Phone: 212-269-6448 x 279
      www.amtexsystems.com/healthcare

    • DEBLEG@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2006
        Srijai

        I would not comply with those demands. The client will try to micro-manage
        your business. They need to understand that the only efficient way for you
        to run the billing service and make any money is to use your personnel and
        resources across different clients. This is just insane if you ask me. I found
        out about 12 years into running my own billing service that there are
        certain indications that you should not take on a client. For me, one of these
        indications is: the client wants to manage my personnel, hours, or flow of
        work. This client will just try to manage your business while you have all the
        overhead, personnel problems and risks.

        My advice is tell him to find someone else to do the work because you do not
        allow your business to be managed by the clients. He really needs to do it
        in-house and manage it however he wants!!!

        Debra

      • Ingrid
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
          Debra:

          I'm with you on this tone. Who even has software to keep track of all this
          stuff? This would also have to be a separate line item in the charge
          structure with a big fat "I-don't-wanna-do-it price" attached.

          This will undoubtedly turn out to be the client from HELL! Benchmarks are
          fine, but not in the A/R dept. The benchmark is $$$$$ & not much else.

          Ingrid Harrington
          The Billing Office
          ingrid@...
          (714) 241-6844 voice
          (714) 241-1319 fax
          (714) 329-0821 cell

[...]

          http://www.codingandreimbursement.net

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • DEBLEG@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2006
            Ingrid

            Thanks for the comments... I think we all get in trouble when we are willing
            to take on any account... at any price... just to have business. And this
            kind of client is never profitable, believe me, they make sure of that.

            Debra