Update from someone living in New Orleans

  • Barbara J. Cobuzzi
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
      I thought you may find this of interest. The true spirit of New Orleans

      Barbara

      From Stacy Calvaruso
      Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 11:40 AM
      Update

      Hello Everyone -

      Thanks first of all to everyone for every thing - the prayers, offers for
      places to live, help with the business, encouraging words, etc. We are in a
      safe place that has power.

      When I posted my last email a few days ago, I did not know how bad it really
      was and truly did not understand what all had happened, we had no T.V. and
      very limited commuication. Well, now I know.

      As most of you can see, it is horrible. This is something that I never in
      my 38 years would have believed would happen in America. People are killing
      others over water, medicine, etc. At times we are all feeling desperate and
      completely hopeless, but at times we just sit up and say, thank you God for
      saving my life and my children, etc. Personally there are many that cannot
      say that. I live outside of New Orleans, in between there and Baton Rouge
      and I truly am very lucky. Although 85% of my client base was in the N.O.
      and Southern Ms. area, we realize that losing this business is not as bad as
      loosing our home and our children. We have so many family members, friends,
      etc. that are unaccounted for and with this in mind I just cannot allow
      myself to have selfish thoughts.

      With that said, I would just like to let everyone know that we believe that
      we will all survive, no - we wont have our business and that is o.k., we
      will have a home, car, truck and our children, something that thousands of
      my fellow Louisiana and Mississippi friends do not have. There will be
      other jobs and as that country song goes, "you have never seen a hearse with
      a luggage rack".

      We consider ourselves extremely fortunate, but there are many others who
      are not. Yes the aid is slow in coming in, yes the government does seem to
      be going too slow when it is a matter of life and death, and yes, there are
      those desperate idiots out there turning to violence to get what they can to
      live on (I dont even want to talk about the people stealing 40 pairs of
      shoes because they can!) but there are those who are saving the lives of
      their neighbors on floating doors, makeshift boats and rafts and there are
      those like you who are making such generous offers to allow total strangers
      to come and live in their homes, work in their offices and get back on their
      feet - that is what I want to remember at night when I finally find a quite
      spot to sleep. This is the lesson we need to take with us and this is what
      our news media and fellow americans need to see and remember.

      From the bottom of my heart, thank you so much, everyone!!! We will rebuild
      our businesses eventually, (mine included) we will rebuild our homes, and we
      will rebuild our "Big Easy".

      Stacy

    • Janice Danielson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2005
        That is an awesome letter.

        http://crn.codecorrect.com 15% off for Gold Members - contact
        Laureen@... for details.

        http://www.cfs-billing.com

        > CEU TeleCourseTM Training & Videos
        > http://www.crn-institute.com

        > CRN Homepage:
        > http://www.codingandreimbursement.net
        > Become a CRN Gold Member!
        > http://www.codingandreimbursement.net/GoGold.htm
        > Advertiser Options
        > http://www.codingandreimbursement.net/advertising.htm

      • Don Self, CSS, BFMA
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005
          Wow - I love Stacy 's spirit. Here is what I've put out today on PMOM
          listserv:

          People - it is worse than what you think it is. I've been talking to health
          professionals in that area and they need help - and I mean more than money.
          They need doctors, nurses, MAs, techs etc... willing to donate a few days to
          relieve them. Some of them are working 20 hours a day. Per HHS and CMS
          and the Feds - - - It does NOT matter where your license is. During this
          emergency, YOU can practice in TX, LA, MS and the surrounding areas to help
          out - and trust me when I say they NEED help.

          But - not just for the medical providers either. If YOU have a generator
          you're not using - catch a trucker heading over towards East Texas or any of
          these states. I'm driving a 5kw generator that I'm not using (it does no
          one any good sitting on my back deck) over to MS on Sunday in my pickup so a
          doc can use it to try to reopen his practice. No - it won't power an
          airconditioner - but it will take care of his refrigerator, lights, EKG,
          computer and phones as well as a couple of fans.

          If you have a trailer, camper, motorhome, 5th wheel, etc... that you're not
          using right now - let someone use it. I have a 33 foot motorhome that I'm
          donating for a family to live in for as long as they need it. A buddy is
          donating his lakehouse for as long as someone needs it. These people need
          help - but we don't have to sit back and feel helpless. We can help - so
          let's all do it. We have about 30,000 folks in NE Texas right now living
          in hotels, campsites, etc... - and I can't speak for the other states - but
          I know we sure need places for these folks now and the governor has said
          we're taking 75,000 folks and giving them places too.

          If you don't know who to call to donate any of these things - then call me.
          If you have a place you can let somone live in - call Texas Governor Rick
          Perry's office at 512 463-5746. If you have medical equipment that you're
          not using - take an inventory of it and let me know what it is. When some
          of these docs try to reopen a practice in lower MS or lower LA, they will
          need .....EVERYTHING! and they won't have money to get restarted either.

          Think about it folks - alot of people not only lost all of their
          posessions - but their bank account information, records, etc... as well as
          their job. Once this gets past the emergency stage - there will be
          thousands needing a job as nurses, MAs, techs - so if you know about jobs
          that will help these folks - let's start some kind of way to keep track of
          it.

          No - I'm not trying to replace the government as I believe they are doing
          everything they can (I don't believe any of the crap being broadcast by CNN
          and their accusations as they are scare mongers trying for ratings). I also
          cannot believe the filth coming out of the New Orleans mayor's mouth. If
          you want to see someone promoting racial hatred - just watch that bigoted
          moron - but he's sure not helping. How can you have a MANDATORY evacuation
          and then say that it's optional that people leave and why isn't HE driving a
          bus of people out of there himself? Sorry - but I hate this kind of
          garbage. Let's just help people and not expect miracles.

          So - if you have something you want to help with - share it.

          When you go to www.jcnationwide.com (company that the HHS hired to help),
          you'll see that they have a desperate need right now to help these folks -
          who could very easily be you, your son or daughter or one of your parents.
          What would YOU do if it was your sister or brother down in one of these
          states? Yep - you know it!

          Oh yeah - one more thing. The Feb. 26 cruise to Cozumel, Belize and
          Honduras we were going to do with the Mississippi Osteopathic Medical Assn
          and 200 physicians, insurance clerks, office managers and administrators....
          is cancelled. It was going out of the pier in New Orleans. We will try to
          put another one together for mid summer next year if we can - out of
          someplace else.

          And... Please go to _www.redcross.org_ (http://www.redcross.org) and place
          donation - they will accept as little as $5.00 from anyone willing to
          donate. You
          can specify the fund you want it to go to.

          Don Self, CSS, BFMA
          Don Self & Associates, Inc.
          305 Senter Avenue, Whitehouse, TX 75791
          www.donself.com mailto:donself@...
          903 839-7045 fax 903 839-7069
          see where I'll be visiting at http://www.donself.com/seminarsframe.html
          HIPPA requires that we notify you that the information contained in this
          email is considered to be confidential and should not be published in the
          Enquirer or Variety magazines, without express written permission of the
          author. HIPPA is the acronym for the Health Information Portly Presenting
          Association for overweight seminar speakers - which is not to be confused
          with HIPAA, which is mandated by the government. So - before you quote this
          author in any magazines, you are required to receive permission from the
          author and share any profits with the author.