Re: [CRN-L] office visit and hospital admit

  • KhanMaria@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
      We had a patient who was seen in our office for asthma. She received
      treatment and was discharged home in good health. However later that day she was
      sent to the ED and was admitted to the hospital. This is a medicare patient and
      my question is, how do we bill for both a office visit and hospital visit on
      the same day?

      Thank You
      Mari

    • Sherry Wilkerson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
        The office E&M service provided to that patient by your physician is
        considered part of the initial hospital care when performed on the same
        day as the admission. The inpatient care level of service reported by
        your physician should include the services he/she provided in the office
        as well as in the hospital.

        Sherry Wilkerson, RHIT, CCS, CCS-P
        Manager of Coding and Compliance
        Esse Health
        520 South Elm
        St. Louis, MO 63119
        Phone (314) 919-1042
        Fax (314) 919-1015
        swilkers@...

        We had a patient who was seen in our office for asthma. She received
        treatment and was discharged home in good health. However later that
        day she was
        sent to the ED and was admitted to the hospital. This is a medicare
        patient and
        my question is, how do we bill for both a office visit and hospital
        visit on
        the same day?

        Thank You
        Mari

        CLICK ME LINKS:
        CodeCorrect 10% off for CRN Members when you sign up at
        http://crn.codecorrect.com 15% off for Gold Members - contact
        Laureen@... for details.

        Optimize physician service reimbursement compliantly:
        http://www.cfs-billing.com

        CEU TeleCourseTM Training & Videos
        http://www.crn-institute.com

        Unsubscribe from this list
        CRN-L-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        _____

        This electronic transmission and any documents accompanying this
        electronic transmission contain confidential information belonging to
        the sender. This information may contain confidential health
        information that is legally privileged. The information is intended
        only for the use of the individual or entity named above. The authorized
        recipient of this transmission is prohibited from disclosing this
        information to any other party unless required to do so by law or
        regulation and is required to delete or destroy the information after
        its stated need has been fulfilled. If you are not the intended
        distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on or regarding the
        contents of this electronically transmitted information is strictly
        prohibited. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify
        the sender and delete this message immediately
      • Don Self, CSS, BFMA
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2004
          The answer depends on why she was admitted to the hospital. If it was due
          to an injury or something not related to asthma - bill for both with a 25
          modifier. Expect the office visit to be denied but then appeal it.

          Don Self, CSS, BFMA
          305 Senter Ave Whitehouse, TX 75791
          mailto:donself@...
          website: http://www.donself.com
          Ph. 903 839-7045 fax 903 839-7069

          Texas Confidentiality Notice: Ya'll are advised that this here message is
          posted. Ya'll ain't allowed to trespass on the feller that wrote it. Ifn
          you use legal tricks to get the writer into a passel of trouble, just be
          warned that we have our own way of taking care of things. That goes for
          O'Sammy Been Logging or Sodamn Insane too. Be aware that we use Texas tools
          made by folks like Colt, Remington, S&W and more and we know how to use
          those tools. So, we're "confident" that we got our message across. Don't
          mess with Texas and Don't mess with America. You have been warned. End of
          Confidentiality Statement