Re: List Postings

  • Mary Engstrom
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 9, 1999
      Refer to the CPT Assistant, May 1999 page 6. I believe you will find what you are looking for.

      Mary Engstrom
      Fee Management/Compliance Manager
      Elmhurst Clinic
      Elmhurst, IL
      630-834-1120, ext 79350

      Come to the edge, he said.......
      mailto:mengstr@...

      From: "Elizabeth Heath" <efellows@...>

      I posted a question, but apparently I did something wrong the first time, so
      here goes:

      I am looking for a definition of the "Bethesda System" of reporting for Pap
      smears versus the non-Bethesda System. I can find CPT codes for each, but
      nothing to tell me how they differ.

      I am the editor of the Ob/Gyn Coding Alert newsletter and am attempting to
      write a story on the above topic. I checked with Barbara and she is OK with
      me being on this list serve.

      Thanks -

      Elizabeth Heath
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 9, 1999
        Shelley,

        I'm still on the other list as well, but I think you're right in that many
        of those folks will come over to this one as well. As i said before, I
        think this will end up biting UCG in the butt cuz some folks will get mad
        enough to cancel their Part B News subscription. Heck - with these lists -
        I don't subscribe to their pubs anyway since most of what they have in them
        is what they get from the good folks on the listserv.

        OK - I'm here - someone pass out the drinks and let's party.

        Don

        At 04:31 PM 12/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
        >From: "Perron, Shelley" <SPerron@...>
        >
        >Mary,
        >
        > I think we are all shell shot! I am still reeling from the blow
        >that was given to Barbara, Laureen and Don. I think it will take a little
        >time and tell all your friends and this chat room will become just as active
        >as the other one. Until then we will just have to rely on one-another.
        >Shell :-)
        >
        >Shelley Perron, CPC
        >MPMC
        >sperron@...

        Don Self, CSS, BFMA

        Check out the new courses at: <http://www.med2learn.com>
        I make $$ when I surf the web:<http://www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=ERO118>
        Don Self & Associates, Inc.
        P.O. Box 1510 Whitehouse, TX 75791-1510
        (903) 839-7045 Fax (903) 839-7069
        mailto:donself@...
        web: http://www.donself.com
      • Lisa Schultz
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 9, 1999
          almost.... :-)

          Cathy Klein wrote:

          > From: Cathy Klein <cathyk@...>
          >
          > Is it time to go home yet????
          >
          > Cathy Klein LPN, CPC
          >
          > Mary Engstrom wrote:
          >
          > > From: "Mary Engstrom" <mengstr@...>
          > >
          > > Haven't seen much activity on this list so far. Anybody out there? (Or is everyone shell shocked?) We were always so chatty on "other" lists, it seems strange that no one has actually posted a question.
          > >
          > > Mary Engstrom
          > > Fee Management/Compliance Manager
          > > Elmhurst Clinic
          > > Elmhurst, IL
          > > 630-834-1120, ext 79350
          > >
          > > Come to the edge, he said.......
          > > mailto:mengstr@...
          > > Be sure to vist our website often as many pages update regularly - www.codingandreimbursement.com brought to you by www.apmed.com and www.cfs-billing.com.
          > Be sure to vist our website often as many pages update regularly - www.codingandreimbursement.com brought to you by www.apmed.com and www.cfs-billing.com.
        • Barbara Cobuzzi
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 9, 1999
            I have been so busy answering personal email that I haven't had a chance to
            do real work. I want to stay in touch with my valued colleagues. Lets do
            it! :)

            Barbara

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 9, 1999
              Where's my Virgin Strawberry Daquari.

              Now for the coding Question:

              Ever notice how some radiology procedures are described as "professional
              supervision and interpretation"? I always thought that meant that the
              procedure had no technical component. But now I am doing some work for a
              pain mgmt doctor and I notice that these codes have Medicare fees for total,
              TC and -26. This is very confusing and of concern to me.

              For example, look at 72240 for mylegraphy. Why does the medicare fee
              schedule have fees for TC and -26 as well as a global

              Comments?

              Barbara

              > > OK - I'm here - someone pass out the drinks and let's party.
              >
              > I'll take a glass of Merlot.
              >
              > <gulp!>
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Ok, bring on the coding questions!
              >
              > -jean
              >
              > Jean Stoner, CPC - Manager, Coding Operations
              > CodeRyte - Bethesda, MD (301) 951-5353 x403
              > mailto:jstoner@...
              > Be sure to vist our website often as many pages update regularly -
              www.codingandreimbursement.com brought to you by www.apmed.com and
              www.cfs-billing.com.
            • Jean Stoner
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 9, 1999

              • Marghm@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 9, 1999
                  Don,

                  I have to laugh that they DIDN'T dump you from the Part B List! But I think
                  that Rick realizes that he made a mistake now. How can you live in Texas and
                  be such a wonderful free spirit..no wonder your wife is from Northern Ca!!

                  So I see tonight they did not dump you for supporting Barbara. What caused
                  this anyhow? I can't imagine that they were that uptight about her list when
                  she contacted them and tried to link with them.. Why> Anyone know? Like I
                  told Rick (not this Barb) we need the other list to get the spillover posts
                  on the folks who want to say more than PartB listserve allows by rules. You
                  would think he would see that!
                  Let us keep the family together. Rick,, if you read this, please note. We are
                  paying the bills for your Part B communications!

                  Margie Loftus, CPC
                  Marghm@...
                • Mary Kaeding
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 10, 1999
                    Ok, I'll try to explain this. The radiology exam codes
                    (7xxxx) can be billed two ways.

                    If done in an office where the radiologist owns the
                    equipment, pays the technologist, buys the contrast material, buys the film
                    and interprets the image, he bills with no modifier - indicating that this
                    was a global service and he gets all of the payment (the Medicare "total"
                    RVU amount).

                    If the exam is done in a facility and the radiologist
                    practices in the hospital, but is not an employee of the hospital, he bills
                    the 7xxxx code with a modifier 26 to show that he is billing for the
                    professional interpretation; on some codes this includes supervision, for
                    example angiograms, meaning the radiologist can't just come into the
                    department hours later and look at film, he needs to be there for the
                    procedure ( the Medicare "26" RVU amount).

                    In the above case, the facility would bill the same 7xxxx
                    code, but use the TC modifier to indicate that their charge is for the room,
                    machine, film, tech, contrast, needles, etc (the Medicare "TC" RVU amount).

                    Hope this helps!

                    Mary Kaeding

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 10, 1999
                      One clarification..
                      When the office owns the equipment and is interpreting , the modifier "WJ"
                      needs to be appended for Medicare denoting that the equipment is owned by
                      the facility.
                      Anne
                      > Ok, I'll try to explain this. The radiology exam codes
                      >(7xxxx) can be billed two ways.
                      >
                      > If done in an office where the radiologist owns the
                      >equipment, pays the technologist, buys the contrast material, buys the film
                      >and interprets the image, he bills with no modifier - indicating that this
                      >was a global service and he gets all of the payment (the Medicare "total"
                      >RVU amount).
                      >
                      > If the exam is done in a facility and the radiologist
                      >practices in the hospital, but is not an employee of the hospital, he bills
                      >the 7xxxx code with a modifier 26 to show that he is billing for the
                      >professional interpretation; on some codes this includes supervision, for
                      >example angiograms, meaning the radiologist can't just come into the
                      >department hours later and look at film, he needs to be there for the
                      >procedure ( the Medicare "26" RVU amount).
                      >
                      > In the above case, the facility would bill the same 7xxxx
                      >code, but use the TC modifier to indicate that their charge is for the
                      room,
                      >machine, film, tech, contrast, needles, etc (the Medicare "TC" RVU amount).
                      >
                      > Hope this helps!
                      >
                      > Mary Kaeding

                      many update s occur daily - www.codingandreimbursement.net brought to you by
                      www.apmed.com and www.cfs-billing.com.
                    • Barbara J. Cobuzzi
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 10, 1999
                        Mary, Jean, Anne, others

                        The pain mgmt doctor is doing it in the hospital (therefore, they own the
                        equipment), but there is no radiologist or technologist in the OR. Just the
                        nurses scrubbed in. Still use -26?

                        Barbara
                        Barbara J. Cobuzzi, CPC, CHBME
                        President
                        Cash Flow Solutions, Inc.
                        Physician Reimbursement Specialists
                        1255 Route 70, Suite 21-N
                        Lakewood, NJ 08701
                        Voice: (732) 364-0123
                        Fax: (732) 364-9111

                        emailto:b.cobuzzi@...

                        http://www.cfs-billing.com/

                        > Ok, I'll try to explain this. The radiology exam codes
                        >(7xxxx) can be billed two ways.
                        >
                        > If done in an office where the radiologist owns the
                        >equipment, pays the technologist, buys the contrast material, buys the film
                        >and interprets the image, he bills with no modifier - indicating that this
                        >was a global service and he gets all of the payment (the Medicare "total"
                        >RVU amount).
                        >
                        > If the exam is done in a facility and the radiologist
                        >practices in the hospital, but is not an employee of the hospital, he bills
                        >the 7xxxx code with a modifier 26 to show that he is billing for the
                        >professional interpretation; on some codes this includes supervision, for
                        >example angiograms, meaning the radiologist can't just come into the
                        >department hours later and look at film, he needs to be there for the
                        >procedure ( the Medicare "26" RVU amount).
                        >
                        > In the above case, the facility would bill the same 7xxxx
                        >code, but use the TC modifier to indicate that their charge is for the
                        room,
                        >machine, film, tech, contrast, needles, etc (the Medicare "TC" RVU amount).
                        >
                        > Hope this helps!
                        >
                        > Mary Kaeding

                      • kabel
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 10, 1999
                          Isn't that for HPSA? (I think I got the initials right??)

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 10, 1999
                            Correction please - the WJ modifier is a local modifier assigned by your
                            state (all codes and modifiers starting with W, X, Y, or Z are local
                            modifiers. it's very probable and possible that your state is the only one
                            that requires the WJ.

                            Don

                          • GSchnitzer@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 12, 1999
                              Don, et al--

                              Just a reminder that although W, X, Y, and Z get all the attention, HCPCS
                              codes and modifiers which start with the letter "S" are *also* reserved for
                              use by the local Medicare Carriers for their local codes and modifiers.
                              There aren't too many of them anymore, so these poor, lonely S-Codes and
                              S-Modifiers often get overlooked. But let's give them their well-deserved
                              due!

                              Greg Schnitzer
                              RN, CPC, CPC-H, CCS-P
                              CodeRyte, Inc.