Re: [ CRN-MABC] Flap coding

  • teamsjc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
      Laureen,

      Before I could answer, I need more information...

      Was the donor site (behind the ear) repaired (closed) with a skin graft or
      was only a dressing applied?

      In your subject area you mentioned flap coding---was flap grafting actually
      done ?

      If so, then you would need the following:

      173xx - Moh's surgery

      A code for repair of the recipient site (area surrounding tear duct). The
      code selected would depend upon what the surgeon dictated as the type of
      repair.

      A code for the repair of the donor site (area behind ear) if op note
      specifies that a flap graft was done. Again if direct closure (or dressing
      application) was performed to repair the donor site, then no additional code
      would be utilized for repair of donor site.

      I would list the procedure with the higher reimbursement 1st, and the second,
      etc. with modifier 51...

      Without having the op note, it is difficult for me to provide exact coding,
      etc.

      Sheila

      In a message dated 4/1/00 1:31:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, Laureen@...
      writes:

      << Hello everyone! Can anyone offer a good way to explain CPT flap coding. I
      thought I had it down pat then one of my CPC students asked my about a
      procedure her mother had. The surgeon did the Moh’s procedure around the
      tear duct of one eye, then cut a graft out from behind her ear and grafted
      it onto the eye area.

      We understand how to code for the Moh’s surgery but how would the rest of
      the coding shake out? Including modifiers?

      Thanks for any help! >>
    • Laureen Jandroep, OTR, CPC, CCS-P
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
        No graft to the donor site - just a dressing. I thinks this answers our question. I'm not really sure why I put "flap coding" as the subject line except to elicit any general tips on using that section and then I remembered the example we were trying to code in class. I really shouldn't post after 1 am anymore :) Thanks Sheila - I appreciate your comments.

        --Laureen

        Laureen Jandroep, OTR, CPC, CCS-P
        President, A+ Medical Management & Education
        www.apmed.com
        Administrator, Coding & Reimbursement Network
        www.codingandreimbursement.net
        Phone 609-965-9585 ~ Fax 609-965-6547