INDUSTRY STANDARD for A.R. and medical records

  • kirstie@wabash.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1 3:03 AM
      Can anyone tell me what the industry standard is for days in accounts
      receivables? we are a small rural hopital in southern Illinois with
      a Million dollar a day in revenue generation. Also, how about
      medical reords? It takes our medical records department literally
      months to code inpatient claims. Sometimes almost a year!
    • Mbbhlthcr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1 7:57 PM
        May i know the national source of the response from this statement please:
        "As for the coding of Inpatient visits/accounts, the coding department of
        Health Information Management/Medical Records should not have a backlog of
        more than 7 to 10 days for medicare, medicaid, champus, etc., and not more
        than 15 days for
        commercial charts/accounts."
        Is this a government regulation from CMS (ex HCFA)? Please state the source
        of that rule - HCFA hospital manual, Fed Register publication, PM or
        whatever...
        As for the commercial rule - what national standard has issued that? Who is
        regulating commercial accounts nationally? For this group to use that as a
        true statement - we need to know the validity of this so that everyone can
        truly educate themselves. Thanks.

        MB
      • LeeFordRHITCCSP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 6:00 AM
          MB,

          The industry standard for the coding time of Inpatient Charts/Accounts after
          discharge should be found in the HCFA hospital manual. It was also published
          as part of the OIG work plan a couple years ago. I will try and find the
          specifics for you and pass them along. As for the commercial carriers, it is
          not written in stone anywhere. The 15 day turnaround after discharge is
          USUALLY the median average......I will look for more information for you. My
          information has come from experience and advice from AHIMA (American Health
          Information Management Association.) As a consultant for acute care
          facilites with coding, and a former Medical Records Director, you will find
          that most facilities have fairly much the same standard........or to be more
          realistic......it is probably written in their policy and procedure manual
          for the coding department.....found in the Medical Record Policy and
          Procedure Manual. You may ask your Director or Manager of Patient Accounts
          to discuss this matter with the Director of Medical Records. They may also
          be valid reasons for the backlog in the coding department of Med. Records.
          Anyway, I will look for the standards for Medicare, etc. when I get a chance
          and pass them along. I hope this helps you more in your quest to clear your
          AR days via eliminating the coding backlog.
          Lee Ford, RHIT, CCS-P, CPC
          LeeFordRHITCCSP@...