RE: new forum site

  • efstrans@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
      regarding the new site codeingandreimbursment.net,I find this site to be
      against the small billing company.Note in the section questions a doctor should ask billing company's they state that a home based biller probably does not have the qualification to do billing,how many employees, how many sg. feet of office space do they have. I don't care how many tiltes these people put behind thier names, with statements such as these they are against the small bussiness owner. I for one would like to tell them what I think of there site and what they can do with it ,but being a gentleman I will refrain.
    • DottieH
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
        What section are you talking aobut?
        I looked the site over (quickly though) and can't find anything even about
        billing centers.
        Dottie
        DottieH5@...
        http://www.sixfigureincome.com/?141631

        > regarding the new site codeingandreimbursment.net,I find this site to be
        > against the small billing company.Note in the section questions a doctor
        should ask billing company's they state that a home based biller probably
        does not have the qualification to do billing,how many employees, how many
        sg. feet of office space do they have. I don't care how many tiltes these
        people put behind thier names, with statements such as these they are
        against the small bussiness owner. I for one would like to tell them what I
        think of there site and what they can do with it ,but being a gentleman I
        will refrain.
      • Mary Engstrom
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
          Dottie - I thought I was the only one. I didn't see anything offensive either.

          Mary Engstrom
          Fee Management/Compliance Manager
          Elmhurst Clinic
          Elmhurst, IL
          630-834-1120, ext 79350

          Come to the edge, he said.......
          mailto:mengstr@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 1999
            And I, like you, say at least it's not something I am missing. <G>

            DottieH5@...
            Member of the SFI Affiliate Program
            http://www.sixfigureincome.com/?141631

            > Dottie - I thought I was the only one. I didn't see anything offensive
            either.

            > Mary Engstrom
            > Fee Management/Compliance Manager
            > Elmhurst Clinic
            > Elmhurst, IL
            > 630-834-1120, ext 79350
            >
            > Come to the edge, he said.......
            > mailto:mengstr@...

            > From: "DottieH" <dottieh5@...>
            >
            > What section are you talking aobut?
            > I looked the site over (quickly though) and can't find anything even about
            > billing centers.
            > Dottie
            > DottieH5@...
            > http://www.sixfigureincome.com/?141631

            www.codingandreimbursement.com brought to you by www.apmed.com and
            www.cfs-billing.com.
          • Barbara J. Cobuzzi, CPC, CHBME
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 1999
              To: efstrans@...

              You are confusing the Coding & Reimbursement Network with my site (www.cfs-billing.com) as I am one of the creators with Laureen Jandroep. The CRN indicates nothing to be biased against home billers.

              However, my company has come across a great deal of people who do not have the training and education that you may have, and they are sold a "business from home" and I can tell you many of the home billers are not trained or qualified as companies such as mine. However, this has no specific derogatory comment to you particularly, as each company has to be evaluated on their own merits. You notice that asking if they are a home based biller is only one of MANY questions to ask. I am a small business too (12 employees) but not as small as I was 9 years ago, and I can tell you that I learned a great deal in that time, and our company is a much better biller and agent of compliance than we could have been 9 years ago, despite the fact that we did a pretty good job back then.

              You see, I started out as one of those home based billers, paying $5000 for the "Compass" billing package and buying a computer, thinking I could start my own business. This was before I formed Cash Flow Solutions. I soon learned that I could potentially do more harm than good, in my lack of experience and knowledge. I then shut down that company, went out working for a "real" billing company and truly learned the business. But that learning never stops, I learn every day. After working for the other billing company, I eventually formed Cash Flow Solutions, Inc over 6 years ago. I learned that there is so much more to medical billing and coding than owning a computer and buying software.

              My opinion is, that if you are one person, at home, how can you keep up with the changing landscape where we work to do the best job for your clients. I have learned, that it costs more to service and market a client properly than one can earn from home, as a home based biller. And as good a job as you may do, it is very difficult to do the jobs right. We need a diverse set of people, with different talents to bring the best to our doctors. There are targeted home based billers, usually with specific experience, who do a wonderful job in their arena.

              I have seen many home based billing operations, although sincere, who had no clue about what they are doing and the effect of their actions. However, that does not mean that you are one of them. However, the law of large numbers indicate that most home based billers, with their $500 software on their computer becoming "electronic billing centers" do not know what they are really doing and cannot provide the level of service that we do. However. I do not indicate that is any reflection on you or your abilities. You could be one of the super home billers and do a wonderful job for your clients. As I said above, it is one of many questions to ask a billing company.

              In many ways, I find it offensive that these "business opportunity" companies are out there trying to sell to anyone with he $500 for the software, whether they are trained or educated. These vendors harm our industry, hurt the people who purchase their "systems" and provide little value added to our industry. That is why I recommend that people who want to enter this business take courses and know what they are getting into before jumping. That is why I am associated with Laureen, as she is dedicated to the education of billers and coders, providing opportunities for people to learn their "trade" before jumping in. I also provide a great deal of education of physicians and billers. There is usually a lot more to being a billing company than an RN, billing or experience for a doctor, etc. These jobs may prepare you to do billing for multiple clients, but they may not, also. I sometimes find that I use my BS in Industrial Engineering and MBA in this business more than anything else.

              I am sorry that I offended you, but as you continue in our market and use your expertise, and see the damage that unknowledgable billers leave in their wake, you will see what I am referring to. I cannot tell you how many potential clients got burned by someone who did not know or could not service them properly, and subsequently lumped all billing companies into that category of "things not to do".

              Keep doing your great job and you will continue to succeed and take care of your clients. Just being a member of this network is a statement of your commitment to doing the right thing for your clients. And, BTW, the letters after my name do not determine who will do a better job. I did a great job for 4 years before I earned my "letters". But, they do tell a potential client that you care enough to try and stay informed, educated and on top of what is going on. But earning and maintaining certification is not a one way street. There are many many qualified coders and billers in our market that have not bothered to take the tests and the missing letters do not imply anything else.

              Again, I am sorry if you were offended. But know that the information on my company's web site is not that of the Coding and Reimbursement Network, but that of my company, and a result of our experience and years of our growth. Good luck to you and see you around the network.

              Barbara J. Cobuzzi
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 1999
                Barbara,

                I have jsut visited your site and I absolutely agree with this man.

                (see below)

                > You are confusing the Coding & Reimbursement Network with my site
                (www.cfs-billing.com) as I am one of the creators with Laureen Jandroep.
                The CRN indicates nothing to be biased against home billers.

                > However, my company has come across a great deal of people who do not have
                the training and education that you may have, and they are sold a "business
                from home" and I can tell you many of the home billers are not trained or
                qualified as companies such as mine. However, this has no specific
                derogatory comment to you particularly, as each company has to be evaluated
                on their own merits. You notice that asking if they are a home based biller
                is only one of MANY questions to ask. I am a small business too (12
                employees) but not as small as I was 9 years ago, and I can tell you that I
                learned a great deal in that time, and our company is a much better biller
                and agent of compliance than we could have been 9 years ago, despite the
                fact that we did a pretty good job back then.

                What you have done is phrase things so that all home based billers come off
                sounding stupid and inferior. It is a definite slam against the small
                billing company and I also find it offensive. It would even be less
                difficult to swallow if you included some part that not all home based
                billers are like what you have cited. You did not, so it is against all of
                us.

                > You see, I started out as one of those home based billers, paying $5000
                for the "Compass" billing package and buying a computer, thinking I could
                start my own business. This was before I formed Cash Flow Solutions. I
                soon learned that I could potentially do more harm than good, in my lack of
                experience and knowledge. I then shut

                Just because you started with no knowledge does not mean that all of us
                have. Nor does the fact that small billers have less cash to do what you do
                mean they are inferior. there are other ways to get the continuing ed if you
                try.

                Nor does the fact that not all small billers belong to AAPC make them
                inferior. I quit them because I feel they have less to offer than other
                groups.

                >down that company, went out working for a "real" billing company and truly
                learned the business. But that learning never stops, I learn every day.
                After working for the other billing company, I eventually formed Cash Flow
                Solutions, Inc over 6 years ago. I learned that there is so much more to
                medical billing and coding than owning a >computer and buying software.

                And there is also much more to knowing the business than owning a big
                company. And just because a small company may charge lower rates than yours
                does not make it inferior. It means they are starting and getting customers
                to establish a reputation.

                I never knew you to be so down right negative to the small biller Barbara.

                > My opinion is, that if you are one person, at home, how can you keep up
                with the changing landscape where we work to do the best job for your
                clients.

                And this is exactly what this is; your opinion.

                >I have learned, that it costs more to service and market a client properly
                than one can earn from home, as a home based biller.

                And you offer a full service where home based billers may not. You know,
                your site and what you write in this post are definitely a slam and I resent
                it.

                >And as good a job as you may do, it is very difficult to do the jobs right.
                We need a diverse set of people, with different talents to bring the best to
                our doctors. There are targeted home based billers, usually with specific
                experience, who do a wonderful job in their arena.

                > I have seen many home based billing operations, although sincere, who had
                no clue about what they are doing and the effect of their actions. However,
                that does not mean that you are one of them. However, the law of large
                numbers indicate that most home based billers, with their $500 software on
                their computer becoming "electronic billing centers" do not know what they
                are really doing and cannot provide the level of service that we do.

                Barbara, you have sure changed! So we now need pricey software to make it
                good!

                >However. I do not indicate that is any reflection on you or your abilities.

                Of course not, you just slam the entire small billing people but it is not
                against this one guy? Of course not, you write of all of us.

                >You could be one of the super home billers and do a wonderful job for your
                clients. As I said above, it is one of many questions to ask a billing
                company.

                > In many ways, I find it offensive that these "business opportunity"
                companies are out there trying to sell to anyone with he $500 for the
                software, whether they are trained or educated. These vendors harm our
                industry, hurt the people who purchase their "systems" and provide little
                value added to our industry. That is why I recommend that people who want
                to enter this business take courses and know what they are getting into
                before jumping. That is why I am associated with Laureen, as she is
                dedicated to the education of billers and coders, providing opportunities
                for people to learn their "trade" before jumping in. I also provide a great
                deal of education of physicians and billers. There is usually a lot more to
                being a billing company than an RN, billing or experience for a doctor, etc.
                These jobs may prepare you to do billing for multiple clients, but they may
                not, also. I sometimes find that I use my BS in Industrial Engineering and
                MBA in this business more than anything else.

                > I am sorry that I offended you, but as you continue in our market and use
                your expertise, and see the damage that unknowledgable billers leave in
                their wake, you will see what I am referring to.

                I KNOW what you are referring to barbara, and I still say the way your site
                is worded you lead people to think all small billers are like that.

                >I cannot tell you how many potential clients got burned by someone who did
                not know or could not service them properly, and subsequently lumped all
                billing companies into that category of "things not to do".

                You mean like you have done on your site?