Re: [CRN-L] Wrote to the editor of USA Today

  • Rosemarie Russ
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi Barbara,
      I quickly skimmed over your letter to the editor -- very good. Another
      point comes to mind as my husband is catching up on <all> sports via cable
      channel dedicated to these national pastimes. The upward spiral of stadium
      tickets due to upward spiral of individual compensation for sports players
      (multi-million per). And this is for guys who haven't even gone to, or
      completed, college (although some who have the foresight that an athletic
      career is not forever do obtain the sheepskin for that "someday").
      Compare these "stars" to the doctors whose college study spans 7-9
      years, followed by grueling internship, then residency to earn the license
      to do what they "love".
      Tells a lot about "our" value system these days.
      Rose
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
        Barbara,
        I couldn't be more pleased to read your article and be in your company of
        consultants. I also read that article and it was brought up to me in Kansas
        City last week in the middle of a physician training session I was giving for
        over 50 Orthopedic Surgeons. Another consultant apparently told them they
        were NOT allowed to bill for Synvisc medication for injections. That they
        could ONLY bill for the injection code 20610 and that billing the medication
        (that is over $500 cost to the doc) was douple dipping. I had to not only
        provide the medicare position on this, that they could charge in writing
        (That I luckily had with me), but I felt like I was defending my position as
        a consultant. I 100% agree with your response to USA today as I also sent
        them a similar letter, outlining the incorrect information that they gave.
        Mine was done at 2am so I am sure I had more typos then you, but they go my
        message. I hope everyone else also reads that article.
        Terry A. Fletcher, BS, CPC, CCS-P, CCS
        Healthcare coding consultant
        (www.TerryFletcher.net)

      • b.cobuzzi@att.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
          Actually in preparation for the letter someone made the
          comment that the general public does not think that
          doctors should earn much since they are doing what they
          love (what a bunch of garbage) and i came back that
          means that professional athletes who are doing what they
          love most, PLAYING, should therefore not be paid
          millions and she said that is something else. I said
          yes, if an athlete messes up, the game is blown. if a
          doctor messes up, the patient can die, lose a limb,
          function or more. Definately the same. I was going to
          put that in the letter but decided it was already too
          long and that it may be considered a trite comparison
          since athletes are worships and it would not be
          tolerated to lower the athlete to the lowly physcian
          status.

          --
          Barbara
          <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

          Barbara J. Cobuzzi, CPC, CPC-H, CHBME
          President, Cash Flow Solutions, Inc
          Lakewood, NJ
          http://www.cfs-billing.com
          Senior Vice President, CRN-INC
          Coding and Reimbursement Network can be found at:
          http://www.CRN-Web.net
          emailto:b.cobuzzi@...
          Voice:(732) 364-0123 Fax: (732) 364-9111

          > Hi Barbara,
          > I quickly skimmed over your letter to the editor -- very good. Another
          > point comes to mind as my husband is catching up on <all> sports via cable
          > channel dedicated to these national pastimes. The upward spiral of stadium
          > tickets due to upward spiral of individual compensation for sports players
          > (multi-million per). And this is for guys who haven't even gone to, or
          > completed, college (although some who have the foresight that an athletic
          > career is not forever do obtain the sheepskin for that "someday").
          > Compare these "stars" to the doctors whose college study spans 7-9
          > years, followed by grueling internship, then residency to earn the license
          > to do what they "love".
          > Tells a lot about "our" value system these days.
          > Rose

        • Margie S. Vaught, CPC, PCE, CCS-P, MCS-P
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 1, 2001
            Okay Barb... now you took my comment out of context..*S* (see how it gets started...lol)

            I stated that the general public already think that physicians make to much money.. as many feel that physicians went into medicine to help people and for the love of helping not for the money.
            Some people still remember the days when they could barter (sp) for their services and some still do today.. You mentioned athletes who play for the love of the game.. but they also play for
            the love of the money..and I stated that you would find people that don't agree with the money that athletes make either...

            Just giving you a bad time.. about the quote.. **smiling**

            Margie

          • Becky Dawson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
              Good job, Barbara. Thank you for taking the time and energy to let them know they don't have the whole story. Hope they take you up on your proposal.

              Becky Dawson, CPC
              Compliance Education Specialist
              Dept. of Surgery Corp.
              Columbus, Ohio
              dawson-3@...

              >>> b.cobuzzi@... 06/29/01 07:05PM >>>

            • Dan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                I remember my Mom saying that she paid $3.00 per doctor's visit and when
                he raised the fee to $5.00 she was outraged. The cost of healthcare at
                this time is outrageous, as is the cost of insurance.
                I can choose to pay the price of a ticket to see the pro athlete but I
                don't have a choice when my children and I are sick and need to see a
                doctor.
                Some will argue that everything costs more these days and yes that is a
                true statement. But what drove the cost of healthcare to become
                unaffordable for some people?
                The discussions on this site concerning consultants and "stings" have
                centered around giving advice to a doctor to increase reimbursement. Is
                there anything wrong with a consultant giving good sound advice that can
                not be construed as fraudulent? Absolutely not. But because of the few
                bad apples whose advice bordered on fraud the rest have to pay the
                consequences. But than this vicious cycle goes back to OIG and all of
                their regulations. Why are there so many regulations concening the
                practice of medicine? We are back to the vicious cycle again of the
                fears the government has of doctors commiting fraud.
                What is the answer? I don't have one.

                Terri Weston

              • LCarbonaro@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                  BRAVA, Barbara!

                  I love reading your "hand on your hip, righteous indignation" letters! Way
                  to go!! (I'll go send them my $.02 now...)

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                    No problem, I agree with you, though. But how many doctors went into
                    medicine for the love of money in the 60's and 70's. Come on you know that
                    was one of the motivators.

                    But society is willing to pay millions for a ball player but not to the man
                    or woman who will save their life or the life of their loved ones.
                    Societies values are just screwed up.

                    Sorry about taking it out of context. Problem is I forgot to turn on the
                    tape and I did not have it word for word to play back <grin>

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > > Homepage: www.codingandreimbursement.net
                    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > > Ad: Consultants - Tired of waiting for YOUR invoices to be paid? Turn
                    your
                    > > Accounts Receivable into CASH . . . IMMEDIATELY.
                    > > For more information see http://www.prnfunding.com/index2.htm.
                    > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    > > Ad: "Modifiers - It's All About The Money!" CRN TeleForum/Webcast Friday
                    June
                    > > 15th, 2001. For more information see
                    > > www.codingandreimbursement.net/modifierstf.htm
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    > Homepage: www.codingandreimbursement.net
                    > Ad: Consultants - Tired of waiting for YOUR invoices to be paid? Turn
                    your Accounts Receivable into CASH . . . IMMEDIATELY.
                    > For more information see http://www.prnfunding.com/index2.htm.

                    Homepage: www.codingandreimbursement.net
                    Ad: Consultants - Tired of waiting for YOUR invoices to be paid? Turn your
                    Accounts Receivable into CASH . . . IMMEDIATELY.
                    For more information see http://www.prnfunding.com/index2.htm.
                  • Michelle Juette
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                      What I find interesting in our own community as well as across the country
                      is how willing the American public is to accept and SUPPORT "strikes" by
                      every entity... for more wages, higher benefits, etc., yet let a physician
                      complain that a payor wants to reduce his payment schedule and their
                      immediate reaction is to mutiny? I don't understand it -- certainly our
                      overhead has NOT gone down, we pay electric rates just like they do, and our
                      staff would like raises, continued insurance coverage (that goes up on an
                      annual basis!) -- and yet we as healthcare providers are NOT allowed the
                      same lattitude as any other classification.

                      I just got a letter from a surgeons' office that as of August 1 they will no
                      longer be contracted with Blue Cross -- it states that in April of this year
                      they asked BC to renegotiate their contract that had been in effect since
                      1999, and BC denied doing that. Hmmmm... so if this is the case, their
                      reimbursement rate has been the same for 2 years -- ?? think expenses have
                      gone up? Computer support fees? Overall cost of doing business? Malpractice
                      premiums? Insurance rates for employees & physicians? But, they will be the
                      bad guys in this (gee... they cared enough to give you notice so you could
                      contact BC & see what that means to you as a patient AND to change to
                      another provider if you so desire.)

                      Is it any doubt why fraud & abuse looms, and subjects like this one on
                      consultants & stings loom, when we have the mindset within the general
                      population that physicians are already the bad guys??
                      I think we need to find a way to educate the public at the same time we're
                      trying to rattle cages on the politicians & do the same with them!

                      But that's just IMHO.....

                      Michelle

                      Michelle R. Juette, CPC
                      Business Services Manager
                      Yakima Valley Radiology
                      Valley Imaging Partners, LLC
                      Yakima, WA
                      mailto:michellej@...
                    • whooks3335@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                        On the other hand, I have in hand an advertisement which states that I should
                        attend this seminar to learn "little known tricks about filing for nursing
                        homes and assisted living facilities." It seems reasonable a layman could
                        conclude there is something rotten in healthcare billing.
                      • Barbara J. Cobuzzi, CPC, CPC-H
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                          Or that many nursing homes and home health may be missing legal
                          opportunities at charge capture and are not doing so? Maybe the seminar is
                          a hustle, maybe it is up and up. And if it is a hustle, I demand my money
                          back.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                            Barbara wrote:"Maybe the seminar is a hustle, maybe it is up and up. And
                            if it is a hustle, I demand my money back."

                            I know that you and many of the people on this list are very knowledgeable
                            on the vast amount of rules and regs governing reimbursement. But what about
                            the new kid(s) on the block? When I first began dong the billing for my
                            husband 4 years ago I knew nothing. I began by reading and attending
                            seminars, joining this list and others, but as a novice, how would I have
                            known the information I spent a lot of money on to receive is incorrect or
                            fraudulent? Many doctors and their staff attend these seminars not to learn
                            how to "cheat" the government out of money but just how to bill
                            correctly.That is their sole intent. I took everything I heard at the
                            first seminars I attended as gospel. I had no previous knowledge or
                            background to cause me to question otherwise.
                            I don't believe that there are any regulations governing medical seminars
                            but what about this list or others in the medical field endorsing those
                            seminars that they know give factual information? I stayed away from US
                            seminars because of the information I read on the part B list.
                            just a thought.

                            Di Faria
                          • Valaika, Mary
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 2, 2001
                              I suspect laymen will come to that conclusion if the press or other groups
                              lead them to it. I consider a large part of what I do to be patient
                              education about the way things work where the insurance carriers are
                              concerned. Many more patients have managed care plans and the patients
                              themselves have increasing amounts of paperwork to do in order to receive
                              their legitimate benefits. Just as the provider has rows of hoops to jump
                              through to get paid, increasinly the patients do as well. I spend time
                              particularly with our elderly patients helping them to understand the
                              correspondence that they receive from their insurance carriers. Many times
                              the correspondence they bring in to share with me isn't regarding charges
                              generated by our practice. The charges are from labs, radiology
                              departments, other specialists, hospitals both in patient and outpatient,
                              you name it. It's a great opportunity to build up better rapport and a
                              higher level of trust with our patients, if they have an idea how complex
                              the coding/billing/insurance process is, how careful we are to code
                              correctly and honestly, how willing we are to answer any questions the
                              patient may have. I show them the ICD 9 books, the CPT books, the Medicare
                              Review policy manuals, the Medicare physicians manuals, I call insurance
                              companies on the patient's behalf with the patient sitting right next to me
                              to listen to the conversation. Never pass up a teachable moment.

                              Mary V