{THE TIME IS NOW!} Save Our Mothers: The Story of Prudence

  • Mbuomda Nasah
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2011
      Even as I dig deep for joy to wish you all a happy and prosperous new year, I ooze a tear pour mon beau pays Le Cameroun!  Watch the video clip.  The next time a loved one is having a baby here in the US, count your blessings, and do not take the luxuries for granted.

      Happy New Year......or is it?
      N. Lima

      Go placidly amidst the noise and haste,
      And remember what peace there may be in silence.
      -Desiderata-

      From: International Institute for Justice and Development <International_Institute_for_Just@...>
      Subject: Save Our Mothers: The Story of Prudence
      To: anmbianda@...
      Date: Thursday, December 30, 2010, 10:54 PM

       save our mothers banner 2

      Dear Alex,

      I rarely share the many sad and disheartening stories I receive about African countries and the people, but this one has a special significance for me. I first listened to this story on National Public Radio (NPRarticle image 2) in late 2006.   Listening to the story of Prudence sadly reminded me of my personal family history and made me cry. It also gave me renewed courage and strength to continue the work we had started at the IIJD to address the underlying causes of Africa’s development crisis and persistent poverty. Please allow me to share with you this video clip:
      If you are asking yourself what is the link between this story and the work of the IIJD, please remember the following: Prudence did not die because she was giving birth or because of lack of medication! She died because of gross negligence. In a country with a strong, independent justice system this WOULD NOT HAPPEN! If each one of the hospital staff members knew they could be held accountable for their actions, Prudence would probably still be alive today and her children would still have their mother. This kind of behavior is widespread and kills countless people in Africa every day! That’s why the work we do at the IIJD is critical to upgrading the legal systems in the nations of Africa to promote institutional responsibility and accountability.  You can make a big difference by supporting our work.
      While emergency relief and providing healthcare facilities and medications are all worthy, they never result in the kind of competent governmental institutions and sustainable development needed to ensure these tragedies never happen again. Cameroon, like many developing countries, needs hospitals able to provide at least basic healthcare, but more importantly, the country needs institutions that would stop and/or prevent tragedies like the one you’ve just watched. At the IIJD, we provide solutions for building a strong institutional foundation by reforming justice systems and empowering people to mobilize for a better future. Click here to learn more.
      We all need to work from all angles and platforms to prevent stories like the one of Prudence from repeating themselves.  Please take action now to support our programs and initiatives. Save Our Mothers.
      Your contribution makes a big difference, please click here to donate online:
      $500.00$250.00$100.00Other...

      Please mail checks to:

      38 Montvale Avenue, Suite 105
      Stoneham, MA 02180

      Thank you very much for your support,
      Paulette Meyitang Ngachoko
      image of Paulette
      Board Member and Co-founder of the IIJD

      The IIJD wishes you and your loved ones
      a happy and prosperous 2011

      Follow us on Facebook
      Follow us on Twitter

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      International Institute for Justice and Development
      PO Box 170594
      Boston, Massachusetts 02117
      Try Email Marketing with VerticalResponse!