Re: Harrassment?

  • Daryl
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
      --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups.com, "Christie" <rjsmomcreed@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone here been harrassed since you moved to Idaho, just
      because
      > you're from California? We were the very first day we rolled into
      > town. We had our moving van and vehicle with California license
      > plates, and some random guy took it upon himself to yell and curse
      at
      > us, right in front of my two small children. A neighbor of mine
      told
      > me how they had their tires slashed when they still had their CA
      > plates on their truck.I always hear comments from local people
      about
      > how much the area has grown and about the "Californication" of
      Idaho.
      > Even on the local radio stations....they frequently bash
      Californians
      > and have bumper stickers saying "Go home!"
      >
      > I think that there are good things for Idaho as a result of us
      > Californians moving here....think of how much money we're bringing
      > into this state! And not just in buying real estate, but new
      > furniture, appliances, vehicles, etc. Has anyone here dealt with
      > that? Any opinions?
      >
      > Christie

      Christie,

      ignorant narrow-mindedness on their part!
    • JOHN DUGAN
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
        Frankly..I have had a few morons make comments to me
        concerning having come to Idaho from California..And
        my answer is always " Im an American" and Idaho is
        still in the United States?? Right?..Thats why I still
        wear Tee Shirts from California..And if you havent
        noticed in the Mall there is a store called HOLLISTER
        CALIFORNIA..a line of so-called trendy clothes..and
        the kids love it..but I have to tell ya..I do have a
        Idaho Plate on one of my cars..its so cheap..and a
        much more pleasant experience to go to DMV in
        Idaho..rather than in California..take care..and good
        luck..

        --- Daryl <mtnbkrdr98@...> wrote:

        > --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups.com, "Christie"
        > <rjsmomcreed@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anyone here been harrassed since you moved to
        > Idaho, just
        > because
        > > you're from California? We were the very first
        > day we rolled into
        > > town. We had our moving van and vehicle with
        > California license
        > > plates, and some random guy took it upon himself
        > to yell and curse
        > at
        > > us, right in front of my two small children. A
        > neighbor of mine
        > told
        > > me how they had their tires slashed when they
        > still had their CA
        > > plates on their truck.I always hear comments from
        > local people
        > about
        > > how much the area has grown and about the
        > "Californication" of
        > Idaho.
        > > Even on the local radio stations....they
        > frequently bash
        > Californians
        > > and have bumper stickers saying "Go home!"
        > >
        > > I think that there are good things for Idaho as a
        > result of us
        > > Californians moving here....think of how much
        > money we're bringing
        > > into this state! And not just in buying real
        > estate, but new
        > > furniture, appliances, vehicles, etc. Has anyone
        > here dealt with
        > > that? Any opinions?
        > >
        > > Christie
        > >
        > Christie,
        >
        > ignorant narrow-mindedness on their part!

      • ltgengr
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
          I bought a house in Nampa and all the neighbors are from California in
          last year so we had no harrassments. Besides this I changed my cars
          plates over to Idaho the second day here. I don't consider myself a
          California, just a guy that was unfortunate to be born in a screwed up
          state.

          --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl" <mtnbkrdr98@...> wrote:

          > --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups.com, "Christie" <rjsmomcreed@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Has anyone here been harrassed since you moved to Idaho, just
          > because
          > > you're from California? We were the very first day we rolled into
          > > town. We had our moving van and vehicle with California license
          > > plates, and some random guy took it upon himself to yell and curse
          > at
          > > us, right in front of my two small children. A neighbor of mine
          > told
          > > me how they had their tires slashed when they still had their CA
          > > plates on their truck.I always hear comments from local people
          > about
          > > how much the area has grown and about the "Californication" of
          > Idaho.
          > > Even on the local radio stations....they frequently bash
          > Californians
          > > and have bumper stickers saying "Go home!"
          > >
          > > I think that there are good things for Idaho as a result of us
          > > Californians moving here....think of how much money we're bringing
          > > into this state! And not just in buying real estate, but new
          > > furniture, appliances, vehicles, etc. Has anyone here dealt with
          > > that? Any opinions?
          > >
          > > Christie
          > >
          > Christie,
          >
          > ignorant narrow-mindedness on their part!

        • Marnie Bernard
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
            I like your attitude.  That is the way to make it up here.  Most Idahoans don't really appreciate whining about all the things they miss from California.  And,that in itself makes  them wonder why they moved here if they miss those things so much.  Additionally, they do not like being treated like hicks.  They are pretty loyal to their way of life, and their state.  If you don't believe me, go to a BSU football game.
            I bought a house in Nampa and all the neighbors are from California in
            last year so we had no harrassments. Besides this I changed my cars
            plates over to Idaho the second day here. I don't consider myself a
            California, just a guy that was unfortunate to be born in a screwed up
            state.

            --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups. com, "Daryl" <mtnbkrdr98@ ...> wrote:

            > --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups. com, "Christie" <rjsmomcreed@ > wrote:
            > >
            > > Has anyone here been harrassed since you moved to Idaho, just
            > because
            > > you're from California? We were the very first day we rolled into
            > > town. We had our moving van and vehicle with California license
            > > plates, and some random guy took it upon himself to yell and curse
            > at
            > > us, right in front of my two small children. A neighbor of mine
            > told
            > > me how they had their tires slashed when they still had their CA
            > > plates on their truck.I always hear comments from local people
            > about
            > > how much the area has grown and about the "Californication" of
            > Idaho.
            > > Even on the local radio stations.... they frequently bash
            > Californians
            > > and have bumper stickers saying "Go home!"
            > >
            > > I think that there are good things for Idaho as a result of us
            > > Californians moving here....think of how much money we're bringing
            > > into this state! And not just in buying real estate, but new
            > > furniture, appliances, vehicles, etc. Has anyone here dealt with
            > > that? Any opinions?
            > >
            > > Christie
            > >
            > Christie,
            >
            > ignorant narrow-mindedness on their part!

          • brian ritchie
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
              Hi,

              I didnt have any incidents when I moved here but my real estate agent had told me to change my plates asap. I have met people in restaurants and bars and nobody has treated me badly when I mention I am from California. The people here have been very nice to me even when I say I am from California. Us Californian's have brought a boat load of money up here but it has pushed the price of a house out of reach for many Idahoans....Oh well...  Do you people ever meet?

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
                Hi,

                Hey, I would like to hear why you came to Idaho... For me, my job was outsourced to India so I had to find a cheaper place to live...I didnt know anybody in Idaho but the Boise area looks my home town of Thousand Oaks and the houses were cheap...I moved to Meridian about 1 year ago and kind of retired...

                Brian

                I like your attitude.  That is the way to make it up here.  Most Idahoans don't really appreciate whining about all the things they miss from California.  And,that in itself makes  them wonder why they moved here if they miss those things so much.  Additionally, they do not like being treated like hicks.  They are pretty loyal to their way of life, and their state.  If you don't believe me, go to a BSU football game.
                I bought a house in Nampa and all the neighbors are from California in
                last year so we had no harrassments. Besides this I changed my cars
                plates over to Idaho the second day here. I don't consider myself a
                California, just a guy that was unfortunate to be born in a screwed up
                state.

                --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups. com, "Daryl" <mtnbkrdr98@ ...> wrote:

                > --- In CAtoID@yahoogroups. com, "Christie" <rjsmomcreed@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > Has anyone here been harrassed since you moved to Idaho, just
                > because
                > > you're from California? We were the very first day we rolled into
                > > town. We had our moving van and vehicle with California license
                > > plates, and some random guy took it upon himself to yell and curse
                > at
                > > us, right in front of my two small children. A neighbor of mine
                > told
                > > me how they had their tires slashed when they still had their CA
                > > plates on their truck.I always hear comments from local people
                > about
                > > how much the area has grown and about the "Californication" of
                > Idaho.
                > > Even on the local radio stations.... they frequently bash
                > Californians
                > > and have bumper stickers saying "Go home!"
                > >
                > > I think that there are good things for Idaho as a result of us
                > > Californians moving here....think of how much money we're bringing
                > > into this state! And not just in buying real estate, but new
                > > furniture, appliances, vehicles, etc. Has anyone here dealt with
                > > that? Any opinions?
                > >
                > > Christie
                > >
                > Christie,
                >
                > ignorant narrow-mindedness on their part!

              • Mark Nielebeck
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
                  Hi Brian,

                  The CA to ID group was established in the summer of '05 when I saw value
                  in a multi-faceted bulletin board that would serve people's needs. I had
                  planned to put together a great big BBQ and get-together last summer but I
                  had a lot of trouble getting everyone on the same page. So I kinda
                  dropped the ball on that one. Undaunted, I will try it again, maybe now
                  in the spring. Many of us have kids so it would be fun at least to get
                  the group together and spawn some friendships.

                  As far as the "why"...I moved here after taking a calculated risk to
                  become self-employed. I had been with a Stock Brokerage firm in CA for
                  nearly 10 years but had no control over the direction of my career with
                  them. So I opened a Famers Insurance agency here and now offer the
                  investment products, but all insurance lines as well. So having a measure
                  of autonomy in my career was a big draw, and I could afford to take that
                  step in CA. Then add the traffic, crime, RE costs, Schools, etc. and
                  you've got the perfect alibi for getting away from the over-rated
                  Hollywood state. Nuff 'said.....

                  -Mark

                  (http://voice.yahoo.com)
                • JOHN DUGAN
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                    I like your attitude Brian..and again, people from
                    Idaho are great ..and if anyones to blame for the
                    rising prices of homes in our area its the greedy
                    politicans, land developers, the ranchers and farmers
                    that have sold off their land at huge profits.. I am
                    also retired and loving it..good luck ..johnny

                    --- brian ritchie <compmanbb@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > I didnt have any incidents when I moved here but
                    > my real estate agent had told me to change my plates
                    > asap. I have met people in restaurants and bars and
                    > nobody has treated me badly when I mention I am from
                    > California. The people here have been very nice to
                    > me even when I say I am from California. Us
                    > Californian's have brought a boat load of money up
                    > here but it has pushed the price of a house out of
                    > reach for many Idahoans....Oh well... Do you people
                    > ever meet?
                    >
                    > Marnie Bernard <marnieb3@...> wrote:
                    > I like your attitude. That is the way
                    > to make it up here. Most Idahoans don't really
                    > appreciate whining about all the things they miss
                    > from California. And,that in itself makes them
                    > wonder why they moved here if they miss those things
                    > so much. Additionally, they do not like being
                    > treated like hicks. They are pretty loyal to their
                    > way of life, and their state. If you don't believe
                    > me, go to a BSU football game.

                    Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business
                    (http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com)
                  • JOHN DUGAN
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                      I like your attitude Brian..and again, people from
                      Idaho are great ..and if anyones to blame for the
                      rising prices of homes in our area its the greedy
                      politicans, land developers, the ranchers and farmers
                      that have sold off their land at huge profits.. I am
                      also retired and loving it..good luck ..johnny

                      --- brian ritchie <compmanbb@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > I didnt have any incidents when I moved here but
                      > my real estate agent had told me to change my plates
                      > asap. I have met people in restaurants and bars and
                      > nobody has treated me badly when I mention I am from
                      > California. The people here have been very nice to
                      > me even when I say I am from California. Us
                      > Californian's have brought a boat load of money up
                      > here but it has pushed the price of a house out of
                      > reach for many Idahoans....Oh well... Do you people
                      > ever meet?
                      >
                      > Marnie Bernard <marnieb3@...> wrote:
                      > I like your attitude. That is the way
                      > to make it up here. Most Idahoans don't really
                      > appreciate whining about all the things they miss
                      > from California. And,that in itself makes them
                      > wonder why they moved here if they miss those things
                      > so much. Additionally, they do not like being
                      > treated like hicks. They are pretty loyal to their
                      > way of life, and their state. If you don't believe
                      > me, go to a BSU football game.

                    • Tom Weed
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006

                        Once upon a time, not so very long ago an Idahoan could graduate high school, take a job at ‘the plant’, the hardware or grocery store, etc. and have enough money to buy a house.  The people I bought my 2,700 sq. ft. house in one of the better parts of the north end paid $60,000 for it in the mid 80’s.  Now it’s worth

                        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                      • Marnie Bernard
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                          Great explanation Tom.  I sell real estate and sadly, most agents have been complaining that they are getting California buyers who now think they have a bunch of cash, equity pigs as you call them, and come up here to buy.  The complaints are they are rude, demanding, and difficult to work with.  So, even the people who stand a chance to profit from them moving here, are having trouble with the attitude.  People left CA for a better way of life.  So in the minds of Idahoans, if this is a better way of life, why try to change Idaho to the life they left behind.

                          Marnie
                          Once upon a time, not so very long ago an Idahoan could graduate high school, take a job at ‘the plant’, the hardware or grocery store, etc. and have enough money to buy a house.  The people I bought my 2,700 sq. ft. house in one of the better parts of the north end paid $60,000 for it in the mid 80’s.  Now it’s worth $500,000.

                          Those people who used to be able to live near the city core are now pushed out to places like Caldwell and have what is for them incomprehensible traffic to deal with.

                          From their point of view, this is all due to immigration of equity pigs.  Their quality of life has gone down.  I don’t know for sure, but I’d be willing to bet that less than 5% of chip designers at Micron are Idaho natives.  Lots of growth, high paying jobs, but the locals don’t see that benefiting them.  Change, fear of the unknown lead some people to do things that are not in line with their higher self.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006

                            Indeed Marnie, I really think that equity hogs from out-of-state should be sensitive of the locals and their culture.  The locals who seem to have ingrained in their culture that uncontrolled human breeding is some kind of manifest destiny, divinely inspired “gift”, need to look in the mirror before questioning why a human being needs a place to live, which just may be in their neighborhood.

                            Tom

                            Done my part, zero kids!

[...]

                            From their point of view, this is all due to immigration of equity pigs.  Their quality of life has gone down.  I don’t know for sure, but I’d be willing to bet that less than 5% of chip designers at Micron are Idaho natives.  Lots of growth, high paying jobs, but the locals don’t see that benefiting them.  Change, fear of the unknown lead some people to do things that are not in line with their higher self.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006

                              I just finished work for this year to take my annual winter break.  This year was real interesting because I worked 5 months in California and 5 months in Idaho for the same company at the same rate.  So I have two periods of time with equal income from different states.  I thought I’d go ahead and send in my estimated taxes to both states.  I went to the tax tables on the web and was surprised to find out that my Idaho tax will be just about exactly twice my California tax.  So, what’s going on here

                              I thought we were in a RED state, Republicans, fiscal conservatives, low taxes, right?  No way!  We get to listen to their reactionary politics and hate AND pay higher taxes, both income and property.  What happened?

[...]

                              From their point of view, this is all due to immigration of equity pigs.  Their quality of life has gone down.  I don’t know for sure, but I’d be willing to bet that less than 5% of chip designers at Micron are Idaho natives.  Lots of growth, high paying jobs, but the locals don’t see that benefiting them.  Change, fear of the unknown lead some people to do things that are not in line with their higher self.