where to live in Idaho???

  • Jana
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 20, 2010
      Hi everyone - We are moving our family from California to Idaho in 2 months and still don't know where we are going to relocate!! - We have family in Meridian but I really wanted to live in a really countryish area - the kind you see in the Idaho brochures (watefalls and trees with seasons of colors)- (plus my husband likes to hunt and fish) Where is a good area of Idaho (besides the Boise/Meridian/Eagle area) that does not have too much cold weather but is very countrish yet has a good local hospital nearby (my husband is a nurse and needs employment there) We want to raise a pig for 4H and have a horse so we want it to be zoned for farm animals. Any ideas would be appreciated.

      Thanks - Jana Kiser
    • Catherine
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 30, 2010
        I hesitate to say this because I'm afraid you'll not realize that I'm thinking of this humorously ... JANA, if you think dragging a large U-Haul trailer through Tahoe in the middle of December while you have ZERO experience with driving in snow/ice AND also taking it to San Francisco and counting that as a "vacation", PLEASE don't move to Idaho.

        The humorous side is, having once been a "California Girl" myself, I probably would have made the same plans ... then been quickly talked out of them by my husband who was born and raised in Wyoming.

        Mapquest says Corona to Boise is only 13 hours if you go north on 15 and 395. Break that into 2 or 3 days in the winter. Trust me, Hwy 395 will be both scenic and an adventure in itself (since there are few lodging options on that route).

        There is no secret to driving on snow (ICE actually is the danger). You have to GO SLOW. You'll go doubly slow with a trailer since you won't have a lot of control over which way the trailer moves. You DO have a hefty vehicle pulling this thing, right? It is your tires and brakes that you want to be in tip-top shape. (Well, okay, you need a great battery and fresh rubber - like belts and hoses - too.) The vehicle will lose some horse power as you gain elevation, making the towing even slower. Downhill is more dangerous than uphill.

        So yes, I recommend that you tour Tahoe and San Francisco AFTER your move. You'll be much more relaxed and able to enjoy the scenery.

        As for Tahoe - Hwy 80 through Tahoe is rarely a problem. If anything, the road is in such good condition, people go too fast in the winter. It isn't Tahoe where you'll have the problem, though.