Newbie Still in CA

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
      Hi Calihoans! (or Idafornians..LOL!)

      I'm so happy to have found this group! I'm researching and trying to learn as much as I can to help with our big move from Lancaster, CA to the Boise area. We aren't set up at all, but we've been wanting to do this for 14 years now..since my older brother moved out there and started working for Micron.

      We have 5 kids, ages 5-23, and they're ALL coming with us. Plus, we're moving my 75-year-old mom with us. It's a scary move with all of the unknowns (insurance, jobs, home, etc.). Like I said, we have nothing set up. Plus my mom needs good doctors and our two younger kids have type 1 diabetes, and are on insulin pumps. Without insurance, we'll be hurting pretty bad..but we feel that we just have to make this move for the benefit of all of our future. It's getting bad out here in Lancaster.

      Anyway, I work online for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, and freelance web/graphic/ad design, and my husband, Gil is into construction. He's hoping to eventually get a tile contractors license in Idaho, but will settle for any job that he can get right now. He's experienced in office managing, and every type of construction work there is just about, but specializes in ceramic tile, granite, and stone. He could manage a shop, or even run a crew of workers and round up clients. He's good at that.

      If anyone has any info on state aid insurance (temporary for us) and medicare for my mom, please let me know. I have a feeling we'll need some help until we get going onto a good insurance out there. My mom's going to miss Kaiser out here.

      I hope to get to know you all, and I hope you are welcoming to yet another family from CA. My brother told me to change our car plates right away so that people don't know we're from there! LOL!

      By the way, we're heading out there just to look around for prospects in October.

      Thanks!

      Blessings...

      Cheryl
    • Mike Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hey Cheryl,
        Welcome to the forum. Almost everybody here will be helpful with your questions. We came from Hesperia 3 years ago, you will find many on this forum from Northern Cali.
        As far as your health and medical questions you should check out the Idaho dept of health and welfare site first. The job market is tough here right now so I hope it will be better for you whenever you decide to make the move. From our experience Health insurance is a nightmare here and choices are limited. If you can get it through an employer you are much better off, we finally were able to through my wifes employer.
        All that being said we could not be happier here, it was the best move we could have made for our family.
        Mike

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
          i wish u luck on the job front. Im having to move back to cali to even land a 12.00 hr job. That is after losing my 85k job I had for 15yrs. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. Dont know about the insurance as I havent had any in over a year

          ----------
          This AOL Mail was sent from AT&T's Wireless network using Mobile Email

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
            Welcome Cheryl,

            Here's a website you'll probably want to use for your quest:

            http://www.idahohealth.org/

            Then of course I'm appointed with the five largest health companies in the state (Blue Cross, Regence Blue Shield, Primary Health, PacificSource, and Assurant) so let me know if  you don't find what you need and I'll make those companies compete with each other to get you some coverage at a decent rate.

            -Mark Nielebeck
            Insurance1@...

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009

              My suggestion would be to secure jobs before coming.  Seriously….the job market is not good here.

              We are all hoping things get better.

              Except for that, its really a wonderful place.

              Good Luck

              Kathy

              Insurance1@gmail. com

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                Good luck to you and your family Cheryl, but times are tough in Idaho.  Lots of empty and failed busineses, strip malls that have been sitting empty for years, construction is almost non-existant, empty and forclosed homes and not many good jobs available to anyone.  And remember !  Idaho is a "Right to work state"Hate to sound like a bummer, but facts are facts.   . My suggestion is to come up here, stay for awhile, look around, check things out REAL good before you make a big move....I love Idaho..but trying to make a living here sucks,,,,..PS... I kept my house in Santa Cruz and boy am I glad..Johnny

                Johnnybitchin

              • marksail007@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                  Kathy wonderful suggestion. It's the best idea.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009

                    My 20-year-old daughter hasn't been able to find a job
                    here for the past 3-4 months. My wife is working in CA
                    for the time being until she can find something up here
                    when she returns in November.

                    I had a p/t job for extra income which dwindled from
                    4-5 nights a week to once a week or so then poof!

                    My nephew, who is an accountant, lost his job in the
                    Bay Area 1-2 months ago, and can't find anything in
                    CA yet. He's now looking for out-of-state jobs. His
                    dad works at 2 p/t jobs in CA as he can't find a f/t
                    job despite being an accountant/tax expert.

                    It's a tough job market regardless of whether you're in
                    CA or ID.

                    While in Arcata this past June, was told by the motel
                    clerk there that all of her fellow employees are working
                    p/t rather than f/t as there's too few jobs around, and
                    it's better for 2 people to work p/t than 1 working f/t
                    while other has no job at all.

                    -=G
                  • lindh
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009

                      Has anyone noticed that the new wage level is ten dollars per hour…doesn’t even seem to matter what the job is.

                      Sad.

                      And ridiculous in most cases.

                      Kathy

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                        Well stated. And wherever the support group is centered it's best to stay there while looking in ID. Better to be strapped in an area you have friends and family rather than to have moved to an area where you know very few. Especially in a state that is less than welcoming to Californians. Remember we are competing for their jobs in Idaho.

                        om

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009

                            As I've mentioned before, there's a good chance that we might
                            sell our home here, and relocate to Oregon or Northwestern
                            CA. It's just that the climate here is too dry for my wife. She
                            needs to live closer to the ocean where there's more moisture
                            in the air.

                            It's much easier to *talk* about relocation plans as opposed to
                            actually *doing* it. We do have to wait until home prices have
                            returned to more reasonable levels as they're too low right now
                            for us to consider putting our home on the market. Have to
                            wait it out.

                            In fact, we probably won't even buy another home. Renting a
                            place gives us the flexibility to move when the lease is up. I
                            would much rather be *stuck* here in Boise than back in
                            the SF Bay Area though.

                            At least I can go downtown to the Farmer's Market on Saturday
                            for some rhubarb pie. :-)

                            My daughter returns from Cusco, Peru this Sunday night. She
                            has been out there since June 11th. Google "United Planet"
                            for more information on volunteer opportunties in Peru and
                            other countries.

                            If interested, see: http://losviajes.livejournal.com to read her
                            journal in Peru. She's 16 and graduates from Timberline HS
                            next year,

                            -=G
                          • Cheryl Duran
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009
                              Well, burst my bubble! LOL! Just kidding.

                              I know the job market is really tough out there right now. Here in CA homes are under forecloser everywhere. People are jobless. Here in the high desert (I love dry air-minus the dirt and wind, by the way) we are seeing homeless people on the streets multiplying daily. It's very sad and very scary. Plus the crime out here is awful. We hear sirens all day and night right here. People from LA are moving up here, and our prison is going high, maximum for hardened criminals here in Lancaster. The only downside that I can actually find in moving to ID would be finding that job for my husband. I work online and just make enough to pay for groceries each month. My kids are still pretty much under our wings, so if just one of them finds a job, it would be a blessing. The older boys work with my husband, but haven't pulled much weight in helping us financially. My husband has connections out here, and does get tile jobs, even in this tough economy (we've felt very blessed for that). My brother in Boise seems to think that my husband would be able to do little renovations, or kitchen and bathroom make-overs now before the economy goes up. I'm just praying and trusting that it will all fall into place somehow. As nuts as that my sound. It's ALL scary, but I just feel like we have no choice, and that this big leap of faith will somehow work out.

                              We will be out there in October, looking around at houses and jobs, just to see what's out there. If my husband did happen to stumble upon a good job with insurance benefits it'll be a miracle for sure.

                              I've been doing a lot of research on the trends with the economy and from what I read Idaho is one of the few states that will recover the soonest. It was one of the last to go into recession, and based on history, I guess they can kind of predict the trends. I have a lot of links saved up if anyone wants to see them. I've also read that particular jobs are doing great out there still (compared to national statistics), electronics and agriculture in particular...so it helps to be in those fields.

                              You all are wonderful. I appreciate all of the help and advice I've gotten just over night. This is a very interesting discussion.

                              Oh, by the way, we owe too much on our house to sell it right now. Another obstacle for us to somehow overcome.

                              Blessings...

                              Cheryl

                              --
                              Cheryl

                              Chris- 17-eeeks! (dx 9/00), Sammy- 5 (dx 4/06), Brittany- 18, Jason- 21, Robert- 23
                            • Graeme Harrison
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 11, 2009

                                Cheryl - It so happens that our tiled shower
                                with plastic flooring (big mistake) eventually
                                started leaking, and ruined the master bath
                                floor.

                                I had to remove the linoleum then ripped off
                                most of the heavy, top particle board, but
                                the base flooring is also water damaged.

                                Will eventually need a professional to take
                                over the reins, but we're all tapped out for
                                the time being thanks to my daughter's
                                trip to Peru and used car for other daughter.

                                When the timing is right, will post here first
                                for a tile and bathroom expert although it'll
                                be at least a couple of months from now.

                                -=G

                              • Cheryl Duran