Motor Drivers for the PNC-3000? Where to get just 1 piece?

  • Randall
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 8, 2007
      I just received an email from a fellow in Thailand that has a CAMM3
      -PNC3000 machine with a bad motor driver.

      As you may know the motor driver modules are part number SI-7300A and
      are made by Sanken (Japan). There is plenty of information on the web
      about the SI-7300A and seems to be plenty of these parts available
      through parts brokers but minimum orders generally run around $300,
      and/or you must purchase an entire lot of several more than you would
      ever need....

      Has anyone here had motor driver problems and found a source of the
      Sanken SI-7300A before?

      Thanks again,

      FYI: Here is my response to his email with some info that I found:

      Hello Sutthinun,

      The SI-7300A motor driver part is still available but it is difficult
      to find a supplier that will sell only one piece.

      You could try the Roland service center (USA) at:
      http://www.cammtech.com (if you email/phone CammTech, ask for Brian,
      he has some spare parts for the Roland pnc3000)

      or here is a supplier that has over 3500 pieces; they will have
      minimum orders and quantities.
      http://www.aeri.com/search/SI-7300A

      The company that makes the SI-7300A is Sanken, their website is at:
      http://www.sanken-ele.co.jp/en/index.php

      Good luck in your search. Please let me know where you end up
      purchasing it from.

      Randall
    • Randall
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007

        > Has anyone here had motor driver problems and found a source of the
        > Sanken SI-7300A before?

        After considerable searching I found a parts broker source for the now
        obsolete SI-7300A motor driver modules (used in the PNC-3000). I
        purchased 15 units so if anyone in the group develops problems with
        their PNC-3000 motor drivers, you can rest easier knowing that they
        are still available - just drop me a line.

        FYI

        Randall
      • Dave Mucha
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2007
          post a picture in the photos section, a folder in the files section
          and a link in the links section.

          Dave

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007
            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Randall" <rlogan@...> wrote:

            > > Has anyone here had motor driver problems and found a source of the
            > > Sanken SI-7300A before?
            >

            > After considerable searching I found a parts broker source for the now
            > obsolete SI-7300A motor driver modules (used in the PNC-3000). I
            > purchased 15 units so if anyone in the group develops problems with
            > their PNC-3000 motor drivers, you can rest easier knowing that they
            > are still available - just drop me a line.
            >
            > FYI
            >
            > Randall

            My motor isn't broken, but I thought it might be worth possibly keeping a spare in stock
            depending on the price. I've got the PNC-3000 so it should be a straight swap right?

            How much would one cost in £'s posted to the UK?
            I assume PayPal would be OK.

            BTW: Does anyone have or know where I can buy some spare drive belts? The one I've got
            is worn, and I can't for the life of my find a spare. This I DO need to buy, as it often slips
            alot under load. I know I can pull the motor back to tighten it up, but that's not the point!

            Prices for those anyone?

            I know there are 2 belts, 0-8000RPM and 0-15,000 RPM or something. I've only got the
            8000 RPM, but I'd be happy to buy a few of each.

            Thanks,

            Dan :-)
          • Randall
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007
              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@...> wrote:

              > My motor isn't broken, but I thought it might be worth possibly
              keeping a spare in stock
              > depending on the price. I've got the PNC-3000 so it should be a
              straight swap right?

              > How much would one cost in £'s posted to the UK?
              > I assume PayPal would be OK.
              >

              > BTW: Does anyone have or know where I can buy some spare drive
              belts? The one I've got
              > is worn, and I can't for the life of my find a spare. This I DO need
              to buy, as it often slips
              > alot under load. I know I can pull the motor back to tighten it up,
              but that's not the point!

              > Prices for those anyone?
              >
              > I know there are 2 belts, 0-8000RPM and 0-15,000 RPM or something.
              I've only got the
              > 8000 RPM, but I'd be happy to buy a few of each.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >

              > Dan :-)

              Hello Dan,

              I've posted a picture of the Sanken SI-7300A motor driver module in
              the Photo's section of this group. It's just the driver, the motor
              itself is not included. Drivers tend to blow now and then, especially
              if the motor cabling goes open circuit while the power is on.

              The problem with buying these parts now is that, because they're
              obsolete, you can only get them from electronic parts brokers. These
              brokers usually have a minimum order of ~$200 to $300 but I found 15
              pieces in Hong Kong and bought all 15.

              If anyone is interested in just 1, 2 or more, I would like to get
              USD$15 each plus actual shipping cost to your area. I'll check on UK
              shipping costs for you Dan if you are still interested. Paypal would
              work well.

              Regarding belts, I would like to have an extra set on hand as well.
              You could try Brian at CAMMTech (Roland's PNC-3000 service center in
              North America) his contact info is in the Links section of this group.
              Please let me know if you do find a source!

              Thanks

              Randall
            • Dave Mucha
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007

                > BTW: Does anyone have or know where I can buy some spare drive
                belts? The one I've got
                > is worn, and I can't for the life of my find a spare. This I DO need
                to buy, as it often slips
                > alot under load. I know I can pull the motor back to tighten it up,
                but that's not the point!

                > Prices for those anyone?
                >
                > I know there are 2 belts, 0-8000RPM and 0-15,000 RPM or something.
                I've only got the
                > 8000 RPM, but I'd be happy to buy a few of each.
                >
                > Thanks,
                >

                > Dan :-)

                Hi Dan,

                There is only one belt. you need to switch it manually to change the
                speed range.

                The speed controller sets the motor speed electronically.

                If you have a choice, use the lower speed belt (smaller at the motor,
                larger in front) and set the speed up higher.

                The faster the motor spins, the more power it delivers. the greater
                the belt ratio between the motor and the spindle (more motor
                revolutions per spindle revolution) means more power delivered to the
                cutting tool.

                Check http://www.sdp-si.com/ as well as McMaster Carr for possible
                belts. if nothing else, you might find the part number so you can use
                that to find one closer to home.

                Dave
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007
                  Is that all it is!?!? A tiny chip!

                  If it's only £8 ($15) I might as well buy one and keep it stocked up. I will probably never use
                  it, but getting anything to do with a PNC-3000 is like gold dust!

                  I'm in no rush for it, so whenever you have time to calc. postage, let me know, and I should
                  be able to buy one off you.

                  I'll work on the belts via the links you supplied over the next few days.

                  Thanks,

                  Dan :-)
                • Dave Mucha
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 13, 2007
                    I just measured the thickness of my belt and it appears to be either
                    4.5mmm or 0.195" allowing for wear, it might have started a bit wider.

                    dave