Seperate Spindle Motor Controller?

  • cadcamcreations
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
      Hi All, Can anyone tell me if a variable frequency drive is the correct thing I need to separately control my spindle motor on my Camm3?

      I have been using a lashed up motor controller which has only lasted about 6 weeks, this only dropped the voltage but I lost torque and as far as I understand [I'm no electrician] that its the voltage frequency that is controlled by the Camm3's internal electronics.
      So I am looking at these VFD's but at first site they look a bit over the top with their digital readouts and the single phase ones seem to have outputs typically of only 10Volts?? So once again I feel I'm going around in circles and not cracking this spindle control problem.
      Any advice would be most grateful.

      Regards Graham.
    • robinghewitt
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
        Hi Graham

        There is a reflective opto-switch looking up at a bunch of black marks on the bottom of the big belt pulley. As the pulley spins it creates a series of pulses. The pulses are converted into a voltage. The voltage drives the LED bar graph speed display and feeds back down to the speed controller board by the on/off switch.

        The speed controller compares the volts from this opto-switch with the volts you have set using the speed control knob. If the motor is too slow it turns it on, if it is too fast it turns it off.

        best

        Robin
      • robinghewitt
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
          Sorry I forgot to answer the question. There are two kinds of AC motor, a squirrel cage motor gets it's speed from the mains frequency, unfortunately the CAMM-3 uses the other kind which simply goes as fast as it possibly can. To control the speed you need a measure of the speed or a different motor or something clever that I do not know of.
        • cadcamcreations
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22, 2013
            Thanks Robin, I managed to get the circuit fixed yesterday and its now running though the motor is a bit unresponsive and I have to keep flicking it to run and there is a lot of sparking, I guess I'm going to have to find somebody to overhaul the motor.
            There doesn't appear to be anything near to it that would be compatible.

            Regards

            Graham.