Re: Camm3 still down [ Spindle motor not running] !!***???

  • cadcamcreations
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hi Andrew, I checked the voltages and action on the 4 pins and they do exactly as you described so the main board is OK [phew!] which leads me back to the contoller board! very frustrating!

      Kind Regards

      Graham.

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

      > You can leave the black lead on any metal part of the camm3.
      >
      > ----
      > Andrew Loen
      >

      > On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:32 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
      >
      > > hi andrew, thanks for that detailed instruction, just to clarify to check the voltages here do i keep the black pin of my multimeter on no. 3 pin [gnd] and then the red one on no.1 [on and off] and any of the others to check voltages?
      > >
      > > Thanks Graham.
      > >
      > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control. The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path. You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.
      > > >
      > > > I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
      > > > pin 3 is ground, then
      > > > pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
      > > > pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
      > > > pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal
      > > >
      > > > You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.
      > > >
      > > > ----
      > > > Andrew Loen

    • andrewloen
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
        What about the three wires on the speed sensor board?

        Andrew

        Hi Andrew, I checked the voltages and action on the 4 pins and they do exactly as you described so the main board is OK [phew!] which leads me back to the contoller board! very frustrating!

        Kind Regards

        Graham.

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

        > You can leave the black lead on any metal part of the camm3.
        >
        > ----
        > Andrew Loen
        >

        > On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:32 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
        >
        > > hi andrew, thanks for that detailed instruction, just to clarify to check the voltages here do i keep the black pin of my multimeter on no. 3 pin [gnd] and then the red one on no.1 [on and off] and any of the others to check voltages?
        > >
        > > Thanks Graham.
        > >
        > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control. The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path. You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.
        > > >
        > > > I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
        > > > pin 3 is ground, then
        > > > pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
        > > > pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
        > > > pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal
        > > >
        > > > You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.
        > > >
        > > > ----
        > > > Andrew Loen

      • cadcamcreations
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
          Just checked the sensor board contacts and they are OK, However I re-checked the pins from the contoller board and pin 4 is at 1.8V and not 12.5V?

        • andrewloen
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
            Well that would be the problem.  Double check your measurements just to be sure.
            This means the main 12V supply has quit. I'll look at the schematic later today and suggest another couple of things to check.

            Andrew

            Just checked the sensor board contacts and they are OK, However I re-checked the pins from the contoller board and pin 4 is at 1.8V and not 12.5V?

            Graham.

            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, andrewloen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

            > What about the three wires on the speed sensor board?
            >
            > Andrew

          • Andrew Loen
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
              The 12V supply is used mainly for the motor speed control and feedback.  It is not surprising that most of the Camm3 would continue to work without this supply.  The 12 V supply is generated by switching down the 35 VDC supply that drives the stepper motors.  Because your steppers still work, the problem must be in the step-down circuit.

              On the bottom of the main board look closely at D1, R2, R3, C4, L1, C5, transistor TR1, and IC IR3M02.  See if they are burnt looking.  These are the parts of the switcher step-down circuit.

              With the power on, measure the voltage on the left hand side of R2 and the right side of D1.  They should be 12 VDC.  Have the black lead of your meter on any ground.

              Also measure the voltage on the top lead of TR1.  This is the emitter of the transistor.  It should be at 35 to 40 VDC.

              Let me know what you find.

              Andrew

              ----
              Andrew Loen

            • cadcamcreations
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
                Hi Andrew,
                OK Ive checked the board nothing looks burnt although there is some goo? [glue?] at the base of L1,C3,C5 Ive noticed this on a previous Camm3 and that worked OK with this. I checked the left hand side of R2 and the right of D1 and Im only getting 0.3 volts, I couldn't get a sensible reading off TR1 but no where near 35 to 40 volts though and this seems to connect to the metal plate? the only place I detected 12.5v was at R1.

                Thanks Graham.

              • andrewloen
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Graham,

                  The problem is somewhere in the power supply circuit on the bottom of the Main Board.  It is likely the transistor TR1, or diode D1, or the IR3M02 IC1.

                  I can run through some further measurements if you like, but they are getting more involved.  The voltage on pin12 of IC1 and the voltage on the left of R74 (big resistor) would be next.

                • cadcamcreations
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
                    Hi Andrew,
                    Thanks very much for your help, It will give me a head start when I speak to my electronics repairer next week, I will let you know how I get on, you must tell me what your favourite poison is and I will send you something.

                  • cadcamcreations
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                      Hi Andrew its me again! I have replaced Transistor TR1 and capacitor C4 and checked the voltages,TR1 is at 35-40V and the 12 Volt supply is a bit more than 12Volt on pin 4 and is steady. But I have since discovered that if I power up the main board with all the plugs out I am getting the correct voltage but once in I get the 12V supply dropping to 2V and it doesn't seem to be the Motor contoller board that is causing the problem as if I unplug that its still showing 2V?
                      I have a replacement IC1 IR3M02 but I wanted to check your thoughts before I tackle unsoldering 16 points at the same time!

                    • clwphstd
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                        Sounds like you may have a bad connection somewhere.

                      • G French
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                          Hi, Yes maybe but where? It looks fine and Ive checked all over!

                          Regards

                          Graham.

                          cadcamcreations@... writes:

                          Hi Andrew its me again! I have replaced Transistor TR1 and capacitor C4
                          and checked the voltages,TR1 is at 35-40V and the 12 Volt supply is a
                          bit more than 12Volt on pin 4 and is steady. But I have since
                          discovered that if I power up the main board with all the plugs out I
                          am getting the correct voltage but once in I get the 12V supply
                          dropping to 2V and it doesn't seem to be the Motor contoller board
                          that is causing the problem as if I unplug that its still showing 2V?
                          I have a replacement IC1 IR3M02 but I wanted to check your thoughts
                          before I tackle unsoldering 16 points at the same time!

                          Kind Regards
                          Graham.

                          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, andrewloen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                          > Graham,
                          >
                          > The problem is somewhere in the power supply circuit on the bottom
                          of the Main Board.  It is likely the transistor TR1, or diode D1, or
                          the IR3M02 IC1.

                          > I can run through some further measurements if you like, but they
                          are getting more involved.  The voltage on pin12 of IC1 and the
                          voltage on the left of R74 (big resistor) would be next.

                          > Andrew

                        • clwphstd
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 12, 2013
                            Hi Graham.  Well, everywhere.  There are a couple of things you can do... The "cave-man approach": Start "GENTALY" tugging on all the wires and see if anything pops off.  Make sure that any slip-on type connectors are OK.  Go back through all the areas that Andrew talked about and try turning on the spindle at each point and look for a drop in the voltage... Main point: Circuts can check out fine when "NOT" under a load.  You did check the switch to the spindle?  Maybe look at the connector for the control panel... Be sure there is no oil or dirt present... Use contact cleaner.

                            Good Luck,
                            Chris.

                            cadcamcreations@... writes:

                            Hi Andrew its me again! I have replaced Transistor TR1 and capacitor C4
                            and checked the voltages,TR1 is at 35-40V and the 12 Volt supply is a
                            bit more than 12Volt on pin 4 and is steady. But I have since
                            discovered that if I power up the main board with all the plugs out I
                            am getting the correct voltage but once in I get the 12V supply
                            dropping to 2V and it doesn't seem to be the Motor contoller board
                            that is causing the problem as if I unplug that its still showing 2V?
                            I have a replacement IC1 IR3M02 but I wanted to check your thoughts
                            before I tackle unsoldering 16 points at the same time!

                            Kind Regards
                            Graham.

                            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, andrewloen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                            > Graham,
                            >
                            > The problem is somewhere in the power supply circuit on the bottom
                            of the Main Board.  It is likely the transistor TR1, or diode D1, or
                            the IR3M02 IC1.

                            > I can run through some further measurements if you like, but they
                            are getting more involved.  The voltage on pin12 of IC1 and the
                            voltage on the left of R74 (big resistor) would be next.

                            > Andrew

                          • tecfacet
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 12, 2013
                              Have you substituted the motor with a 100w light bulb?

                              Roger