Camm3 still down [ Spindle motor not running] !!***???

  • cadcamcreations
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
      Hi All,
      Still having problems with my Camm 3 the XYZ all works fine and the motor runs OK if connected to the mains, just had the motor controller board back from an electronics guy and as far as he was concerned it should be OK [ and it was checked ]
      Im still not getting any voltage to the motor when I press the manual motor button on the contoller.
      Ive read the Service notes off this site and it states that after 1000 hours you can turn the timer over [ the thing that looks like a mercury switch] at F3 on the motherboard], [ I think it means that as its poorly translated Japanese] That got me wondering if because the timer has hit the limit if that is whats stopping it running?
      If not I wonder if there is some fault in the main motherboard, I really am at a loss and Im going round in circles now.
      Any help would be appreciated. Also [I hope I will need it in the future now] does anybody have the Buffer Format Disk for the SYA-350?
      Thanks

      Graham.
    • Steelwings
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
        Graham,
        Try cleaning the optical encoder under the front drive pulley. If it gets dirty from dust and belt debris, it can’t read the timing marks and the motor will not run. (worth a shot anyway....)
        Sal

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
          Hi Sal,
          Thanks for your quick response, just tried that and no luck!
          Regards

          Graham.

          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steelwings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

          > Graham,
          > Try cleaning the optical encoder under the front drive pulley. If it gets dirty from dust and belt debris, it can’t read the timing marks and the motor will not run. (worth a shot anyway....)
          > Sal

        • Andrew Loen
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
            From the control board, can you turn on and off the "sensor" that is used for Z axis setting?  You should see the LED turn on and off.  That would eliminate another chunk of circuitry.

            Can you measure the Motor On/Off signal going into the motor pcb, pin 1?  Should go from low to high, +12V.

            If both of those work, it is probably the speed feedback. Which I can help you with.

            ----
            Andrew

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
              Hi Andrew,
              Thanks for reply, just checked z zero device and that works OK, Im not sure how to check the signal from main board, I can see the 4 colour wires that go from main board to controller PCB and have a digital multimeter.
              One thing I have noticed is that Im getting no continuity on that big fuse at F3 which is a sort of merecury timer, Im not sure what its called as nothing is coming up on google to replace it.

              Regards

              Graham.
              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

              > From the control board, can you turn on and off the "sensor" that is used for Z axis setting? You should see the LED turn on and off. That would eliminate another chunk of circuitry.
              >
              > Can you measure the Motor On/Off signal going into the motor pcb, pin 1? Should go from low to high, +12V.
              >
              > If both of those work, it is probably the speed feedback. Which I can help you with.
              >
              > ----
              > Andrew
              >

              > On Mar 29, 2013, at 7:37 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi All,
              > > Still having problems with my Camm 3 the XYZ all works fine and the motor runs OK if connected to the mains, just had the motor controller board back from an electronics guy and as far as he was concerned it should be OK [ and it was checked ]
              > > Im still not getting any voltage to the motor when I press the manual motor button on the contoller.
              > > Ive read the Service notes off this site and it states that after 1000 hours you can turn the timer over [ the thing that looks like a mercury switch] at F3 on the motherboard], [ I think it means that as its poorly translated Japanese] That got me wondering if because the timer has hit the limit if that is whats stopping it running?
              > > If not I wonder if there is some fault in the main motherboard, I really am at a loss and Im going round in circles now.
              > > Any help would be appreciated. Also [I hope I will need it in the future now] does anybody have the Buffer Format Disk for the SYA-350?
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > Graham.

            • Andrew Loen
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control.  The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path.  You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.

                I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
                pin 3 is ground, then
                pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
                pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
                pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal

                You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.

                ----
                Andrew Loen

                On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:56 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:

                Hi Andrew,
                Thanks for reply, just checked z zero device and that works OK, Im not sure how to check the signal from main board, I can see the 4 colour wires that go from main board to controller PCB and have a digital multimeter.
                One thing I have noticed is that Im getting no continuity on that big fuse at F3 which is a sort of merecury timer, Im not sure what its called as nothing is coming up on google to replace it.

                Regards

                Graham.
                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                > From the control board, can you turn on and off the "sensor" that is used for Z axis setting? You should see the LED turn on and off. That would eliminate another chunk of circuitry.
                >
                > Can you measure the Motor On/Off signal going into the motor pcb, pin 1? Should go from low to high, +12V.
                >
                > If both of those work, it is probably the speed feedback. Which I can help you with.
                >
                > ----
                > Andrew
                >

                > On Mar 29, 2013, at 7:37 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi All,
                > > Still having problems with my Camm 3 the XYZ all works fine and the motor runs OK if connected to the mains, just had the motor controller board back from an electronics guy and as far as he was concerned it should be OK [ and it was checked ]
                > > Im still not getting any voltage to the motor when I press the manual motor button on the contoller.
                > > Ive read the Service notes off this site and it states that after 1000 hours you can turn the timer over [ the thing that looks like a mercury switch] at F3 on the motherboard], [ I think it means that as its poorly translated Japanese] That got me wondering if because the timer has hit the limit if that is whats stopping it running?
                > > If not I wonder if there is some fault in the main motherboard, I really am at a loss and Im going round in circles now.
                > > Any help would be appreciated. Also [I hope I will need it in the future now] does anybody have the Buffer Format Disk for the SYA-350?
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > Graham.

              • Andrew Loen
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                  Graham,

                  Just took the back off my Camm3.

                  The 4 wires going to the motor controller board come off the main board on J304, which is easy to get at.

                  With my Camm3 powered up, the top pin (pin 4) is at 12.5 VDC, the second pin down (pin 3) is at gnd, these never change.

                  The bottom pin, pin 1, is motor On/Off signal.  With the motor off, it's at 5VDC.  When I turn the motor on it goes to 0.

                  The third pin down, pin 2, is the optical speed signal.  It sits at 0.75 VDC with the motor off.  With the motor on it reads 5.2 VDC - but it would be a fast chain of pulses in a scope.

                  And, just to double check, I pulled the timer device out and everything runs perfectly.  It is just a readout.

                  ----
                  Andrew Loen

                  On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:56 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:

                  Hi Andrew,
                  Thanks for reply, just checked z zero device and that works OK, Im not sure how to check the signal from main board, I can see the 4 colour wires that go from main board to controller PCB and have a digital multimeter.
                  One thing I have noticed is that Im getting no continuity on that big fuse at F3 which is a sort of merecury timer, Im not sure what its called as nothing is coming up on google to replace it.

                  Regards

                  Graham.
                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                  > From the control board, can you turn on and off the "sensor" that is used for Z axis setting? You should see the LED turn on and off. That would eliminate another chunk of circuitry.
                  >
                  > Can you measure the Motor On/Off signal going into the motor pcb, pin 1? Should go from low to high, +12V.
                  >
                  > If both of those work, it is probably the speed feedback. Which I can help you with.
                  >
                  > ----
                  > Andrew
                  >

                  > On Mar 29, 2013, at 7:37 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi All,
                  > > Still having problems with my Camm 3 the XYZ all works fine and the motor runs OK if connected to the mains, just had the motor controller board back from an electronics guy and as far as he was concerned it should be OK [ and it was checked ]
                  > > Im still not getting any voltage to the motor when I press the manual motor button on the contoller.
                  > > Ive read the Service notes off this site and it states that after 1000 hours you can turn the timer over [ the thing that looks like a mercury switch] at F3 on the motherboard], [ I think it means that as its poorly translated Japanese] That got me wondering if because the timer has hit the limit if that is whats stopping it running?
                  > > If not I wonder if there is some fault in the main motherboard, I really am at a loss and Im going round in circles now.
                  > > Any help would be appreciated. Also [I hope I will need it in the future now] does anybody have the Buffer Format Disk for the SYA-350?
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > Graham.

                • cadcamcreations
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                    hi andrew, thanks for that detailed instruction, just to clarify to check the voltages here do i keep the black pin of my multimeter on no. 3 pin [gnd] and then the red one on no.1 [on and off] and any of the others to check voltages?

                    Thanks Graham.

                    --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                    > The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control. The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path. You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.
                    >
                    > I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
                    > pin 3 is ground, then
                    > pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
                    > pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
                    > pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal
                    >
                    > You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.
                    >
                    > ----
                    > Andrew Loen
                    >

                    > On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:56 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Hi Andrew,
                    > > Thanks for reply, just checked z zero device and that works OK, Im not sure how to check the signal from main board, I can see the 4 colour wires that go from main board to controller PCB and have a digital multimeter.
                    > > One thing I have noticed is that Im getting no continuity on that big fuse at F3 which is a sort of merecury timer, Im not sure what its called as nothing is coming up on google to replace it.
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > >
                    > > Graham.
                    > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > From the control board, can you turn on and off the "sensor" that is used for Z axis setting? You should see the LED turn on and off. That would eliminate another chunk of circuitry.
                    > > >
                    > > > Can you measure the Motor On/Off signal going into the motor pcb, pin 1? Should go from low to high, +12V.
                    > > >
                    > > > If both of those work, it is probably the speed feedback. Which I can help you with.
                    > > >
                    > > > ----
                    > > > Andrew

                  • Andrew Loen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                      Graham,

                      If you remove the top plastic cowling over the spindle you can easily see the motor speed sensor board.  With the Camm3 powered up and the motor off:
                      the left red wire is at 5.0 VDC (it's a bit hard to push through the glue on the wire)
                      the center is ground, 0 V
                      and the right orange wire will change from 0 to 5 V as you slowly rotate the spindle by hand

                      ----
                      Andrew Loen

                      On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:56 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:

                      Hi Andrew,
                      Thanks for reply, just checked z zero device and that works OK, Im not sure how to check the signal from main board, I can see the 4 colour wires that go from main board to controller PCB and have a digital multimeter.
                      One thing I have noticed is that Im getting no continuity on that big fuse at F3 which is a sort of merecury timer, Im not sure what its called as nothing is coming up on google to replace it.

                      Regards

                      Graham.
                      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                      > From the control board, can you turn on and off the "sensor" that is used for Z axis setting? You should see the LED turn on and off. That would eliminate another chunk of circuitry.
                      >
                      > Can you measure the Motor On/Off signal going into the motor pcb, pin 1? Should go from low to high, +12V.
                      >
                      > If both of those work, it is probably the speed feedback. Which I can help you with.
                      >
                      > ----
                      > Andrew
                      >

                      > On Mar 29, 2013, at 7:37 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hi All,
                      > > Still having problems with my Camm 3 the XYZ all works fine and the motor runs OK if connected to the mains, just had the motor controller board back from an electronics guy and as far as he was concerned it should be OK [ and it was checked ]
                      > > Im still not getting any voltage to the motor when I press the manual motor button on the contoller.
                      > > Ive read the Service notes off this site and it states that after 1000 hours you can turn the timer over [ the thing that looks like a mercury switch] at F3 on the motherboard], [ I think it means that as its poorly translated Japanese] That got me wondering if because the timer has hit the limit if that is whats stopping it running?
                      > > If not I wonder if there is some fault in the main motherboard, I really am at a loss and Im going round in circles now.
                      > > Any help would be appreciated. Also [I hope I will need it in the future now] does anybody have the Buffer Format Disk for the SYA-350?
                      > > Thanks
                      > >
                      > > Graham.

                    • Andrew Loen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                        You can leave the black lead on any metal part of the camm3.

                        ----
                        Andrew Loen

                        On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:32 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:

                        hi andrew, thanks for that detailed instruction, just to clarify to check the voltages here do i keep the black pin of my multimeter on no. 3 pin [gnd] and then the red one on no.1 [on and off] and any of the others to check voltages?

                        Thanks Graham.

                        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                        > The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control. The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path. You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.
                        >
                        > I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
                        > pin 3 is ground, then
                        > pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
                        > pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
                        > pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal
                        >
                        > You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.
                        >
                        > ----
                        > Andrew Loen
                        >

                        > On Mar 29, 2013, at 9:56 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                        >

                        > > Hi Andrew,
                        > > Thanks for reply, just checked z zero device and that works OK, Im not sure how to check the signal from main board, I can see the 4 colour wires that go from main board to controller PCB and have a digital multimeter.
                        > > One thing I have noticed is that Im getting no continuity on that big fuse at F3 which is a sort of merecury timer, Im not sure what its called as nothing is coming up on google to replace it.
                        > >
                        > > Regards
                        > >
                        > > Graham.
                        > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > From the control board, can you turn on and off the "sensor" that is used for Z axis setting? You should see the LED turn on and off. That would eliminate another chunk of circuitry.
                        > > >
                        > > > Can you measure the Motor On/Off signal going into the motor pcb, pin 1? Should go from low to high, +12V.
                        > > >
                        > > > If both of those work, it is probably the speed feedback. Which I can help you with.
                        > > >
                        > > > ----
                        > > > Andrew

                      • cadcamcreations
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                          Hi Andrew, thanks for the info,Im going to give it a go tomorrow and I will keep you posted.

                          Kind Regards

                          Graham.

                          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                          > You can leave the black lead on any metal part of the camm3.
                          >
                          > ----
                          > Andrew Loen
                          >

                          > On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:32 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > hi andrew, thanks for that detailed instruction, just to clarify to check the voltages here do i keep the black pin of my multimeter on no. 3 pin [gnd] and then the red one on no.1 [on and off] and any of the others to check voltages?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks Graham.
                          > >
                          > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control. The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path. You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
                          > > > pin 3 is ground, then
                          > > > pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
                          > > > pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
                          > > > pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal
                          > > >
                          > > > You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.
                          > > >
                          > > > ----
                          > > > Andrew Loen

                        • cadcamcreations
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                            Hi Andrew, I checked the voltages and action on the 4 pins and they do exactly as you described so the main board is OK [phew!] which leads me back to the contoller board! very frustrating!

                            Kind Regards

                            Graham.

                            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                            > You can leave the black lead on any metal part of the camm3.
                            >
                            > ----
                            > Andrew Loen
                            >

                            > On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:32 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > hi andrew, thanks for that detailed instruction, just to clarify to check the voltages here do i keep the black pin of my multimeter on no. 3 pin [gnd] and then the red one on no.1 [on and off] and any of the others to check voltages?
                            > >
                            > > Thanks Graham.
                            > >
                            > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control. The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path. You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.
                            > > >
                            > > > I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
                            > > > pin 3 is ground, then
                            > > > pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
                            > > > pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
                            > > > pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal
                            > > >
                            > > > You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.
                            > > >
                            > > > ----
                            > > > Andrew Loen

                          • andrewloen
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                              What about the three wires on the speed sensor board?

                              Andrew

                              Hi Andrew, I checked the voltages and action on the 4 pins and they do exactly as you described so the main board is OK [phew!] which leads me back to the contoller board! very frustrating!

                              Kind Regards

                              Graham.

                              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                              > You can leave the black lead on any metal part of the camm3.
                              >
                              > ----
                              > Andrew Loen
                              >

                              > On Mar 29, 2013, at 11:32 AM, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > hi andrew, thanks for that detailed instruction, just to clarify to check the voltages here do i keep the black pin of my multimeter on no. 3 pin [gnd] and then the red one on no.1 [on and off] and any of the others to check voltages?
                              > >
                              > > Thanks Graham.
                              > >
                              > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Loen <andrewloen@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > The motor timing device Is separate from the motor control. The motor control signal branches out to the timer, but it is not in the control path. You could remove the timer and everything should function the same.
                              > > >
                              > > > I'm not sure how easy it is to get at the motor board, but if you can measure the DC voltages on J601, pin 1 is closest to the corner of the board.
                              > > > pin 3 is ground, then
                              > > > pin 4 should be steady +12V supply
                              > > > pin1 is motor On/Off signal, which should go from 0 to 5V
                              > > > pin 2 is the optical speed reader signal
                              > > >
                              > > > You should be able to rotate the spindle by hand and see pin 2 go high and low.
                              > > >
                              > > > ----
                              > > > Andrew Loen

                            • cadcamcreations
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
                                Just checked the sensor board contacts and they are OK, However I re-checked the pins from the contoller board and pin 4 is at 1.8V and not 12.5V?

                              • andrewloen
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
                                  Well that would be the problem.  Double check your measurements just to be sure.
                                  This means the main 12V supply has quit. I'll look at the schematic later today and suggest another couple of things to check.

                                  Andrew

                                  Just checked the sensor board contacts and they are OK, However I re-checked the pins from the contoller board and pin 4 is at 1.8V and not 12.5V?

                                  Graham.

                                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, andrewloen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                                  > What about the three wires on the speed sensor board?
                                  >
                                  > Andrew

                                • Andrew Loen
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 30, 2013
                                    The 12V supply is used mainly for the motor speed control and feedback.  It is not surprising that most of the Camm3 would continue to work without this supply.  The 12 V supply is generated by switching down the 35 VDC supply that drives the stepper motors.  Because your steppers still work, the problem must be in the step-down circuit.

                                    On the bottom of the main board look closely at D1, R2, R3, C4, L1, C5, transistor TR1, and IC IR3M02.  See if they are burnt looking.  These are the parts of the switcher step-down circuit.

                                    With the power on, measure the voltage on the left hand side of R2 and the right side of D1.  They should be 12 VDC.  Have the black lead of your meter on any ground.

                                    Also measure the voltage on the top lead of TR1.  This is the emitter of the transistor.  It should be at 35 to 40 VDC.

                                    Let me know what you find.

                                    Andrew

                                    ----
                                    Andrew Loen

                                  • cadcamcreations
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
                                      Hi Andrew,
                                      OK Ive checked the board nothing looks burnt although there is some goo? [glue?] at the base of L1,C3,C5 Ive noticed this on a previous Camm3 and that worked OK with this. I checked the left hand side of R2 and the right of D1 and Im only getting 0.3 volts, I couldn't get a sensible reading off TR1 but no where near 35 to 40 volts though and this seems to connect to the metal plate? the only place I detected 12.5v was at R1.

                                      Thanks Graham.

                                    • andrewloen
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
                                        Graham,

                                        The problem is somewhere in the power supply circuit on the bottom of the Main Board.  It is likely the transistor TR1, or diode D1, or the IR3M02 IC1.

                                        I can run through some further measurements if you like, but they are getting more involved.  The voltage on pin12 of IC1 and the voltage on the left of R74 (big resistor) would be next.

                                      • cadcamcreations
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
                                          Hi Andrew,
                                          Thanks very much for your help, It will give me a head start when I speak to my electronics repairer next week, I will let you know how I get on, you must tell me what your favourite poison is and I will send you something.

                                        • cadcamcreations
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 10, 2013
                                            Hi Andrew its me again! I have replaced Transistor TR1 and capacitor C4 and checked the voltages,TR1 is at 35-40V and the 12 Volt supply is a bit more than 12Volt on pin 4 and is steady. But I have since discovered that if I power up the main board with all the plugs out I am getting the correct voltage but once in I get the 12V supply dropping to 2V and it doesn't seem to be the Motor contoller board that is causing the problem as if I unplug that its still showing 2V?
                                            I have a replacement IC1 IR3M02 but I wanted to check your thoughts before I tackle unsoldering 16 points at the same time!

                                          • clwphstd
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                                              Sounds like you may have a bad connection somewhere.

                                            • G French
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 11, 2013
                                                Hi, Yes maybe but where? It looks fine and Ive checked all over!

                                                Regards

                                                Graham.

                                                cadcamcreations@... writes:

                                                Hi Andrew its me again! I have replaced Transistor TR1 and capacitor C4
                                                and checked the voltages,TR1 is at 35-40V and the 12 Volt supply is a
                                                bit more than 12Volt on pin 4 and is steady. But I have since
                                                discovered that if I power up the main board with all the plugs out I
                                                am getting the correct voltage but once in I get the 12V supply
                                                dropping to 2V and it doesn't seem to be the Motor contoller board
                                                that is causing the problem as if I unplug that its still showing 2V?
                                                I have a replacement IC1 IR3M02 but I wanted to check your thoughts
                                                before I tackle unsoldering 16 points at the same time!

                                                Kind Regards
                                                Graham.

                                                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, andrewloen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                                                > Graham,
                                                >
                                                > The problem is somewhere in the power supply circuit on the bottom
                                                of the Main Board.  It is likely the transistor TR1, or diode D1, or
                                                the IR3M02 IC1.

                                                > I can run through some further measurements if you like, but they
                                                are getting more involved.  The voltage on pin12 of IC1 and the
                                                voltage on the left of R74 (big resistor) would be next.

                                                > Andrew

                                              • clwphstd
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 12, 2013
                                                  Hi Graham.  Well, everywhere.  There are a couple of things you can do... The "cave-man approach": Start "GENTALY" tugging on all the wires and see if anything pops off.  Make sure that any slip-on type connectors are OK.  Go back through all the areas that Andrew talked about and try turning on the spindle at each point and look for a drop in the voltage... Main point: Circuts can check out fine when "NOT" under a load.  You did check the switch to the spindle?  Maybe look at the connector for the control panel... Be sure there is no oil or dirt present... Use contact cleaner.

                                                  Good Luck,
                                                  Chris.

                                                  cadcamcreations@... writes:

                                                  Hi Andrew its me again! I have replaced Transistor TR1 and capacitor C4
                                                  and checked the voltages,TR1 is at 35-40V and the 12 Volt supply is a
                                                  bit more than 12Volt on pin 4 and is steady. But I have since
                                                  discovered that if I power up the main board with all the plugs out I
                                                  am getting the correct voltage but once in I get the 12V supply
                                                  dropping to 2V and it doesn't seem to be the Motor contoller board
                                                  that is causing the problem as if I unplug that its still showing 2V?
                                                  I have a replacement IC1 IR3M02 but I wanted to check your thoughts
                                                  before I tackle unsoldering 16 points at the same time!

                                                  Kind Regards
                                                  Graham.

                                                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, andrewloen <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                                                  > Graham,
                                                  >
                                                  > The problem is somewhere in the power supply circuit on the bottom
                                                  of the Main Board.  It is likely the transistor TR1, or diode D1, or
                                                  the IR3M02 IC1.

                                                  > I can run through some further measurements if you like, but they
                                                  are getting more involved.  The voltage on pin12 of IC1 and the
                                                  voltage on the left of R74 (big resistor) would be next.

                                                  > Andrew

                                                • tecfacet
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 12, 2013
                                                    Have you substituted the motor with a 100w light bulb?

                                                    Roger