Spindle motor problem [ not seen before]

  • cadcamcreations
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
      I thought I would share this problem I had with my camm3 this weekend for future reference [nobody ever responds to my posts, so not sure If Im wasting my time] anyway here goes:- My motor when it starts fluttering usually means the brushes are about to stop working but this time it stopped when I was in the workshop, had the motor out the brushes seemed OK, I changed them because the ones I use I make myself which I don't totally trust. Motor then worked fine but stopped again.
      My dread was that the motor controller board had gone which is unobtainable but it turned out to be the little white connector block which supplies power to the motor, with old age the pins had become closed up and weren't connecting so I opened them up with the aid of the end of a scalpel, problem solved!
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
        Congratulations on the fix! I'm glad it was a simple one.
        The last time my CAMM3 went on the blink it was due to a faulty stepper driver; desoldering it out and putting in a new one, all was working.
        Regards,
        Daniel

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "cadcamcreations" wrote:

        > I thought I would share this problem I had with my camm3 this weekend for future reference [nobody ever responds to my posts, so not sure If Im wasting my time] anyway here goes:- My motor when it starts fluttering usually means the brushes are about to stop working but this time it stopped when I was in the workshop, had the motor out the brushes seemed OK, I changed them because the ones I use I make myself which I don't totally trust. Motor then worked fine but stopped again.
        > My dread was that the motor controller board had gone which is unobtainable but it turned out to be the little white connector block which supplies power to the motor, with old age the pins had become closed up and weren't connecting so I opened them up with the aid of the end of a scalpel, problem solved!

      • Randy
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2013
          Thanks for the problem resolution summary.

          These machines are generally fairly rugged but they do have their problems, and true replacement parts are getting near impossible to get. I'm still searching for a belt that is directly compatible with the original.

          When it come to the electronics (such as your motor controller), many of the components are still available at the component level and can be replaced. Full schematics are available, and that makes diagnosing problems (and part substitutions) much easier.

          This group is generally very responsive; I'm not sure why your posts have not received any responses. I know my Yahoo group notifications have been somewhat erratic lately, maybe just some Yahoo growing pains?

          Glad to hear your problem is fixed now, thanks for sharing the details.

          Randall