Re: software

  • fi85_uk
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4 3:32 PM
      Hi I was wondering how you set up the camm to work with the 2D design software. I use the 2d design software at work regularly so I know how simple it is to use. What hardware is needed to use the software? Do you need an interface?

      Thanks,

      Fiona

    • pejohnson@talk21.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 5 1:13 AM
        I have been using it with a camm3 for the last 6years.  The computer is a P4 2ghz with 512mb ram. basicly any PC that will run 2D is fine.
        It is running Win XP but Win98 before that.
        I installed a print driver (Im not sure if it is on this site but Im back in sorting stuff out next week and get a copy) for the Camm3. So the Camm3 shows up as a printer on XP.
        Connection is via a standard Parallel cable (old school printer lead)

        When you run 2D go to 'setup' 'Drawing' then select Set for CNC milling and select the Camm 3 from the list.
        this sets you page up ready for machining.

        Use different colours for different commands ie, Line depth, cut order. (no good cutting an object out then trying to engrave on it!!)

        Now Im running 2D version 2 on this PC so if you have an older version it might be a little different because they did make some changes (I would need to check on a machine at school)
        When you are happy you have it all drawn up

        File- CNC output

        CNC Device Roland Camm 3, PNC3000
        Output Route Throught printer driver Roland PNC-3000 (click change driver to select that if its not, sometimes mine would throw up an error and all i did was click change driver and select the camm3 again as I had 5 different printers installed)

        On the Tools button you get to select the colours you want to machine (so you can use some colours as design guides that wont be machined)
        Select the depths for the final cut of each colour etc
        In the tool parameters you can set the depth of cut per pass (trial and error) and other tool info.  For machining 3mm acrylic I would use a 1.1mm depth and a feed of 12, spindle speed is fixed.

        then ensure you have the Camm 3 set up with the cutter, material zeroed etc and take out of manual mode.

        on 2d Ok out of setup, then click Output and it will just run the machine from that.

        Shout me if you need more help.

        I can try nd do some screen grabs etc.  Also Ill photo the settings of the switches on the side of the machine, although i have never touched them

        Pete