Re: Greetings fellow Rolandnauts

  • Randall
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31 11:45 AM
      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Everett" <jeverett@...> wrote:

      Hello Jeffrey,

      Good to have another PNC3000 user in the group! I'll write more in a
      couple days but for now I've only got 30 seconds......

      I hope you don't rip apart your PNC-3000 - but if you do be sure to
      keep every piece you would otherwise throw away; I'm sure someone in
      this group could make use of it.

      Have you tried contacting Brian at CAMMTECH (508-883-0307)? He is in
      the Roland Service center there and I spoke with him this morning - I
      even mentioned your problem - he indicated it may just need a simple
      cleaning. He does still service these machines and has many spare
      parts. He does board swapping (ie. logic boards) and some board level
      repairs if the problem is quite obvious (I don't know their rates).

      Melissa at CAMMTECH can supply the operators and service manuals for
      these machines as well. (The service manual is quite basic but
      includes general maintenance and calibration info --- cost is about
      $45.00)

      I do electronic debug and design for a living - I suspect your problem
      with the stuttering Y axis should be easy to repair. Don't give up on
      the machine yet!

      More later.....

      Randall

      > Hi everyone
      > I got my PNC3000 in 1992 and used daily up until a couple of years
      > ago when parts became unavailable for it. Now I need to repair it,
      > but I'm also considering purchasing a newer model Roland first, maybe
      > the MDX-40. I had a LOT of fun with this mill. I bought the Sherline
      > rotary unit (manual indexing) and by manually turning to every 15
      > degrees or so I was able to do really nice 4 axis indexed roughing
      > and finishing. 99% of the work done with this mill was jewelry in the
      > form of either wax positives or metal molds. This machine isn't that
      > great for metal molds, but it was sufficient for all but complicated
      > multi-part molds with tolerance of .001"
      >
      > So I need to repair it! The Y axis stutters badly (making the machine
      > unusable), and now it will no longer start up at all. I'm considering
      > ripping out the mainboard, the display, the control unit and the
      > motors and putting in a 4th axis, gecko drives and Mach3 controller.
      > Any thoughts about it? Yeah, I know it just won't be the same, but
      > it's not anymore anyway! :) I'd love to just get it working again...
      >
      > Great meeting you all.
      >
      > Jeffrey Everett

    • Tod Briggs
      Message 2 of 4 , May 31 4:11 PM
        I have the manuals.
        I'll go post the Service manual now.
        When I scanned the Users Manual, I only got the even pages.
        I need to rescan it, but I'll post the missing sections then.

        The machine I was 'borrowing' had a similar problem with the Z axis.
        A good cleaning & greasing eliminated it.
        However, I lubed it so well that the head now falls on it's own when you
        shut it off.

        Be Well

        ---
        "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."
        Tod Briggs
        Briggs Brewing

      • Randall
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2007
          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Tod Briggs <bridge161@...> wrote:

          > I have the manuals.
          > I'll go post the Service manual now.
          > When I scanned the Users Manual, I only got the even pages.
          > I need to rescan it, but I'll post the missing sections then.

          [snip]

          > Be Well
          >
          > ---
          > "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong."
          > Tod Briggs
          > Briggs Brewing

          Thanks for posting the Service Manual Tod!!

          I ordered mine the day before you posted, drats! For those of you
          interested in purchasing a copy I should advise you that the USD$45.00
          version from CAMMTech is just a stapled photocopy. It serves its
          purpose but if you are expecting an original Roland book you will be
          dissappointed. You would do better to just print off the pages that
          Tod posted in the FILES section and staple them yourself.

          The good news, from my perspective anyway (electronic debug
          background), is that there are complete schematics in the service
          manual. Nothing too unusual in the parts list, the computer is based
          on readily available Z80 components. There are still some bizzare
          counter parts (used in the readouts) that I have not located though.
          My comfort level that these machines can be repaired at the component
          level has gone way up!

          Happy machining!

          Randall