Re: New user of Camm 3

    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 10, 2012
      Robert,
      When you set the home position, did you set "Home" and "Z0"? Or did you set some other Z1 or Z2?

      Cheers,
      Dan

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Regards.
      >
      > Robert
      >

      > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, clwphstd@ wrote:
      > >
      > > You may also want to check your tool size to make sure it fits the text
      > > size.... If the text is smaller than the tool, it won't cut... Because it
      > > won't fit.
      > >
      > > Have fun,
      > > Chris.
      > >

      > > In a message dated 3/7/2012 1:07:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      > > mitchregnier@ writes:
      > >

      > > If you look at the code in a text editor, are there any negative x or y
      > > coordinates? With my PNC-3000, it's only happy if all coordinates are positive
      > > (except for the Z-axis of course:))
      > >
      > > All the best,
      > >
      > > Mitch
      > >
      > > --- In _CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com) ,
      > > "bobtracey" <bobtracey@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hi
      > > >
      > > > Its been a while since I lasted posted and I have managet to get to
      > > grips with using my CAMM 3 to do most basic 2D stuff.
      > > >
      > > > I am still having problems with cutting 3D shapes. I am using ProDesktop
      > > to creat a basic dome shape and exporting it as an .stl file.
      > > >
      > > > I load the stl file into Modela player and go through the settings.
      > > >
      > > > The software creats the cut paths and the CAMM 3 fires up. All that
      > > happens is the CAMM 3 moves the gutter around the outside edge of the material
      > > but does not cut.
      > > >
      > > > All the drivers are up to date.
      > > >
      > > > I am at a loss as to what to check next and any help would be greatly
      > > apprediated.
      > > >
      > > > Robert
      > > >

      > > > --- In _CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com) ,

      > > in the right direction. LOL

      > > orientation problem and also now have the modela working and am importing .stl
      > > files.

      > > Design but not in modela.

      > > and put some text on top extruded below workplane 3mm, exported .stl and
      > > imported into modela player.

      > > through the screens entering the info as requested and get to the end and
      > > click start.

      > > different size, probably about 170x50x30 thats y=50 and z=30. And it stopped before
      > > it machined the text.

      > > tool parameters whilst in modela or what? This is the bit I am not sure about.

      > > give me funny looks.

      > > default. Hopefully that should sort that side of things.

      > > snagging a copy from a later machine.
      > > intermediate steps...

      > > 1000A connected and its associated driver. This was clashing with the
      > > CAMM-3 driver and causing the problems.

      > > when in 2D Design I set the plotting device to CAMM-3. This now works but I
      > > have to plot rather than print.

      > > the folder, 7 zip files. When I go to extract them a window pops open
      > > asking to insert Disc 7. This pop up window cannot be closed and so I have to
      > > go ctl alt del and close it in task manager. Any thoughts on this?

    • bobtracey
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 10, 2012
        Hi

        I only set the Home and the z0.

        Robert

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > click start.

        > > > different size, probably about 170x50x30 thats y=50 and z=30. And it stopped before
        > > > it machined the text.

        > > > tool parameters whilst in modela or what? This is the bit I am not sure about.

        > > > give me funny looks.

        > > > default. Hopefully that should sort that side of things.

        > > > snagging a copy from a later machine.
        > > > intermediate steps...

        > > > 1000A connected and its associated driver. This was clashing with the
        > > > CAMM-3 driver and causing the problems.

        > > > when in 2D Design I set the plotting device to CAMM-3. This now works but I
        > > > have to plot rather than print.

        > > > the folder, 7 zip files. When I go to extract them a window pops open
        > > > asking to insert Disc 7. This pop up window cannot be closed and so I have to
        > > > go ctl alt del and close it in task manager. Any thoughts on this?

      • bobtracey
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 16, 2012
          Hi

          I have noticed I am using Modela ver 2.2 and there is a version 4 available. When I try to extract the zip I get the message saying insert disc 1 of 7. The 7 zip files are in the same directory and I am extracting to a diferent drive.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 16, 2012
            Robert,
            Modela Player 4 and Modela (~2.2) are entirely different programs. We need to get you working on 2.2, before you look at making 4 work.

            Regards,

          • fi85_uk
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 20 12:52 PM
              Hi just wondering what you had to set the dip switches to to get it to work? Thanks,

              Fiona

            • pejohnson@talk21.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 20 4:09 PM
                Dips I have been running mine on with no probs where 0 = down or towards the front of the machine

                SW-1
                Mode
                1=0
                2=0
                3=1
                4=1
                5=1
                6=0
                Font
                7=1
                8=1
                9=1
                10=1

                SW-2 all set to 1

                For use in techsoft I never bother changing the material size i just drop the drawing onto the CAMM3 layout.  I always mount the job level with the left most position of travel and level with the front of the bed.  I then position the drawing on the 'bed' within techsoft to fit onto the job.

                One thing that can catch people out is when you have mounted your job on the bed, set the zero with the sensor then sent the program from the PC to the camm 3 it throws up the error.  This can be because you are trying to get the Z travel to go lower than it is possible (maybe you have fitted a shorter cutter or thinner material)  The best way I have found to overcome this is I have 2 pieces of 18mm thick MDF to give a sacraficial bed 36mm thick.  i clamp them to the bed then usualy mount the material (modeling foam or acrylic)  with double sided tape.  If im doing MDF or Aluminium I mount with double sided tape and clamp it too.  do all the engraving, holes etc and then finally cut round the shape.  The tape is usually good enough to hold for this final process.

                Pro desktop requires a post processor, you export the file from ProD as a stereo lithograph file set to binary

                You then open that in the post processor, settng all the info in there to match you machining requirments.
                I use Deskproto for this.  Its not a bad program add quite cheep and you can download it for a free 30day trial.

                Pete