Copper Cam generates incomplete code

  • territoniax
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 10, 2011
      Hi,
      We've managed to install the Roland Camm3 drivers on a laptop running Windows XP, and set up communication with our Roland Camm3. Everything seems alright and the Camm3 does indeed perform the commands sent to it.

      We're using Copper Cam to generate cm3-files describing the cutting paths of circuit boards. The engraving starts OK and the cutting paths are correct, but then it stops after a short while. It seems that the generated cm3 file is too short. It holds only the first instructions and the final commands for stopping the spindle etc.

      Does anyone have an idea why Copper Cam generates incomplete code? Is this a license/registration issue of some kind?

      We've also noticed that the code contains undocumented commands such as !MC1, that generate errors on the Camm3. We just ignore those errors by hitting "Pause" on the machine, but wonder why the commands are there. Is this a bug in Copper Cam or is it designed for another version of the Camm3. In addition, it seems to assume that the machine is running inches, but our is a European version running metrics. Could this be the reason why the files for Camm3 are not fully compatible with our machine?

      Greatful for any help and tips.
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2011
        Hi,
        I've never used CopperCam, but when the machine error and pauses; which feedrate light is flashing? This corresponds to an error code; which might give a better idea as to why it's failing...

        !MC sounds like something meant for one of the later PNC's.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 13, 2011
          Hi,

          Thanks for your reply.

          The error is 3, which interprets as "Invalid number of parameters".
          This occurs for call !MC so this is likely to be for a newer version, just as you said.

          When the machine comes to the final stop, there is no error though. It has simply reached the end of the .cm3 file, which is far too short.

          Regards,
          /Toni

          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I've never used CopperCam, but when the machine error and pauses; which feedrate light is flashing? This corresponds to an error code; which might give a better idea as to why it's failing...
          >
          > !MC sounds like something meant for one of the later PNC's.
          >
          > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "territoniax" <toni@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > We've managed to install the Roland Camm3 drivers on a laptop running Windows XP, and set up communication with our Roland Camm3. Everything seems alright and the Camm3 does indeed perform the commands sent to it.
          > >
          > > We're using Copper Cam to generate cm3-files describing the cutting paths of circuit boards. The engraving starts OK and the cutting paths are correct, but then it stops after a short while. It seems that the generated cm3 file is too short. It holds only the first instructions and the final commands for stopping the spindle etc.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have an idea why Copper Cam generates incomplete code? Is this a license/registration issue of some kind?
          > >
          > > We've also noticed that the code contains undocumented commands such as !MC1, that generate errors on the Camm3. We just ignore those errors by hitting "Pause" on the machine, but wonder why the commands are there. Is this a bug in Copper Cam or is it designed for another version of the Camm3. In addition, it seems to assume that the machine is running inches, but our is a European version running metrics. Could this be the reason why the files for Camm3 are not fully compatible with our machine?
          > >
          > > Greatful for any help and tips.

        • Steelwings
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 30, 2011
            My spindle motor is getting very, very tired. I've already replaced the bearings twice and the com-brushes a gozillion times (high use machine with many thousands of miles on it) and now I can hear the beginning of the end for the present set of motor bearings.  Has anyone on the list found a decent replacement plug & play brushless or other dependable a/c motor for this beast? (Or a brush-type that has easily obtainable brushes and parts?) I tried Panasonic, whose motor this is, and they tell me that they don't make it or replacement parts for it anymore. So no go on that route.  Anyway, I don't mind doing a little modification but I can't afford to have the machine down too long. Otherwise, I guess I'll be rebuilding the existing motor....again. Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated! -Sal

          • norust2001
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 28, 2012
              My spindle motor (Matsushita SSC-852 AL) is in need of a rebuild or replacement. The stator contacts are well worn as are both bearings. I've replaced the brushes five times already and it doesn't look like there will be a sixth without a complete rebuild. Before I go through the time and expense of rebuilding this outdated motor, has anyone found a reasonably priced replacement for it? Brush-less maybe? Either way, this motor doesn't exist anymore. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
              Sal