Re: Butchering a CAMM-3

  • robinghewitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 11 2:02 PM
      First zero backlash nut made for the Y axis. Pic shows the Roland saddle upside down, Y screw fitted, unfinished X screw apart.

      http://www.robinhewitt.net/rscrews2.jpg

      I would have sworn I compared the Roland XY screws and found the identical, but I can't have because they ain't. New X screw should get here tomorrow.

      This is two ball nuts sprung apart with Belleville washers, an arbitrary preload of about 1000 Newtons. So zero backlash up to 1000N.

      I was ordering washers to preload the screw end bearings, just about to buy their £15 minimum order which translated into 150pcs, when he took pity on me and gave me 7pcs ad gratis.
    • robinghewitt
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 18, 2011
        Progress

        I added splash guards, fitted a suds tank and pump. The guards are a bit lurid because the sealant is bright blue and I got a deal on some transparent orange Perspex on e-bay. The back guard is different because it has to vary in height depending on how far the head needs to descend. I used something cheap and easy to cut.

        I've ordered one of those flexible coolant hoses with a big magnet on one end that should stick nicely to the bottom of that metal plate under the spindle/display housing.

        I have passed the point of no return. With guards at either end to keep the suds in place, I had to cut a dent in the bed so I could insert a Tee nut vertically. I lengthened the dent into a gutter and it looks okay. The dent is at the stepper motor end of the bed so it is passed the structural stuff and doesn't weaken anything.

        The suds tank was a problem until I realised I could simply bolt an aluminium enclosure to the end of the bed and let it fill from the tee slot. I put a pond filter in the bottom of the tank with a dinky little brushless pump below that. I think it was designed for a coffee machine, does 1.5 litres/min with a 5 foot lift.

        Hope to cut some metal as soon as the suds spout arrives. There will be a movie :o)

        best

        Robin
      • tecfacet
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 18, 2011
          I am looking forward to seeing your video.

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 18, 2011
          • Steelwings
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 18, 2011
              Looks great! Can't wait to see the vid!

              Sent: Friday, November 18, 2011 5:00 PM

            • robinghewitt
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2011
                Me again

                I've been over on CNCZone asking about tiny whippy tooling. They persuaded me to up the speed and I now have it set to 8800 rpm. This pic is a tiny letter 'S', 4.5mm x 2.5mm x 2mm deep, cut with a 1mm 3 flute slot drill. It has a 1.5 degree draft angle but cut fine and dandy without.

                http://www.robinhewitt.net/s7.jpg

                The suds pump is vigorous and objects if I restrict the flow, rattles a bit. Think I need to add a tap that bleeds back into the reservoir to control the pressure.

                I am really impressed with this machine, although 8800 rpm has made it noisy again.

                More soon

                Robin
              • cyberzl1
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2011
                  What material?  I would expect aluminum, but it almost looks like steel.

                  JW

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2011
                    > What material? I would expect aluminum, but it almost looks like steel.

                    Hi JW

                    Extruded aluminium, probably HE30

                    best

                    Robin
                  • robinghewitt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 2, 2011

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 12, 2011
                        Same bar of aluminium, same drawing, half the size.

                        This is the 0.5mm tool, ballpoint pen for scale, http://www.robinhewitt.net/halfmm.jpg

                        This is the cut from above, 1 mm deep, 1.5 degree draft.
                        http://www.robinhewitt.net/half2.jpg

                        The 'S' is now just 2.25 mm high by 1.25 mm wide, line weight 0.25 mm, just under 0.01".

                        I don't think I can go any smaller than this, time to try some larger tooling.

                        More soon

                        Robin