Re: VCarve Pro Software by Vectric

  • Randall
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "txmagnia" <jdreid@...> wrote:

      > I have been using VCarve Pro on my Roland PNC-3000 mill. The software
      > is very easy to use. For Roland owners,the software is able to output
      > code and control your Roland mill direct. All you need to do is to set
      > Z zero and Home zero on the mill. Software does the rest. Software
      > list is $495.00 Demo is available for download. Tony at Vectric was
      > very prompt in answering my emails about VCarve Pro. more info at
      > www.vectric.com
      >
      > Jack

      Thanks for the info on this program Jack. I downloaded the Demo and
      played around with sample files. I noted there are 2 ways to save a
      tool path for Roland machines:

      1) Roland mm (*.rol)
      2) Roland Modela mm (*.rol)

      Which postprocessor did you use?

      When you say it is able to "control your Roland mill direct" how was
      this done? I don't have my mill setup on this machine otherwise I
      would have tried it. Isn't there another step involved in there
      somewehere?

      Thanks

      Randall
    • txmagnia
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2007
        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Randall" <rlogan@...> wrote:

        Thanks for the info on this program Jack. I downloaded the Demo and
        played around with sample files. I noted there are 2 ways to save a
        tool path for Roland machines:

        > 1) Roland mm (*.rol)
        > 2) Roland Modela mm (*.rol)
        >
        > Which postprocessor did you use?
        >
        > When you say it is able to "control your Roland mill direct" how was
        > this done? I don't have my mill setup on this machine otherwise I
        > would have tried it. Isn't there another step involved in there
        > somewehere?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Randall

        Randall,

        It's a little tricky the first time especially with the demo files.
        You may want to have Tony email you a test file that works great with
        the Roland's size table. Make sure you download the Roland CAMM3's
        driver from Roland's website. They have all the latest drivers
        available(from win98 to Vista) for the PNC-3000. You are basically
        installing a printer driver in windows. You will then see "Roland
        CAMM3 PNC-3000" listed under printers in the control panel of
        windows(XP in my case) after you install. You will even see the status
        of the Roland as Ready even when you Roland is turned off. Remember
        the Roland is just a plotter on steroids. Next set Z-Zero and Home on
        your Roland Mill. Take your mill off manual control after you do this.

        Roland mm is the tool path you want to use. It will NOT work with the
        Roland Modela mm tool path. Once you select the Roland mm as your post
        processor, the box"output Toolpath(s) to Device" should be now
        chooseable or lighted. You should see "Device: Roland CAMM3" listed.
        Click on the "Output to Device" box instead of saving it to a file and
        your mill will be making chips. Sometimes you can hit the Pause button
        if you have a error in sending the file. I have milled very large
        files with no problems. Hope this helps. Jack
      • Randall
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2007
          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "txmagnia" <jdreid@...> wrote:

          > Randall,
          >
          > It's a little tricky the first time especially with the demo files.
          > You may want to have Tony email you a test file that works great with
          > the Roland's size table. Make sure you download the Roland CAMM3's
          > driver from Roland's website. They have all the latest drivers
          > available(from win98 to Vista) for the PNC-3000. You are basically
          > installing a printer driver in windows. You will then see "Roland
          > CAMM3 PNC-3000" listed under printers in the control panel of
          > windows(XP in my case) after you install. You will even see the status
          > of the Roland as Ready even when you Roland is turned off. Remember
          > the Roland is just a plotter on steroids. Next set Z-Zero and Home on
          > your Roland Mill. Take your mill off manual control after you do this.
          >
          > Roland mm is the tool path you want to use. It will NOT work with the
          > Roland Modela mm tool path. Once you select the Roland mm as your post
          > processor, the box"output Toolpath(s) to Device" should be now
          > chooseable or lighted. You should see "Device: Roland CAMM3" listed.
          > Click on the "Output to Device" box instead of saving it to a file and
          > your mill will be making chips. Sometimes you can hit the Pause button
          > if you have a error in sending the file. I have milled very large
          > files with no problems. Hope this helps. Jack

          Well wha'da ya know? Thanks Jack, All seems clear now!
          I'll test it out with my machine attached and report back.

          Have you used any other software with your CAMM3 machine? I would
          like post a list to this group of all the various software that has
          been used successfully with this machine with special emphasis on the
          software that supports the machine directly.

          Thanks again,

          Randall