New user of Camm 3

  • bobtracey
    Message 1 of 22 , May 8, 2011
      Hi

      I have just found one of these machines in a cupboard and would like to get it working. I have manager to scrounge a spare desktop pc running win xp sp2 and it has techsoft 2d design and pro desktop installed.

      I would like some advise on how to start with installing correct drivers, best way to connect and which software to use when engraving.

      I know it sounds a lot but I am a complete novice and would really appreciate help from members of the group who are more experienced.

      Thanks

      Robert
      Message 2 of 22 , May 8, 2011
        Hi Robert,
        Techsoft 2D Design is the best possible software you could have for use with the Roland machines.

        First off... as far as Windows is concerned, your PNC-3000 is seen as a "printer", and must be installed as such.
        Go to our files section here, under Bundled Software -> Win Drivers, and download the driver files.
        Extract and run the setup.exe program; follow the onscreen instructions to install the PNC-3000 driver.

        Make sure your machine is connected via a parallel cable (standard printer cable) to LPT1 on your computer.

        Now open up Techsoft 2D Design and set your default machine (I can't remember the exact option, and don't have it installed on my machine on the road). It will be obvious from one of the menus.
        This will cause Techsoft to reduce the plot area to the size of the machine's max cutting size and various max feeds etc.
        Draw a simple circle, and hit File -> Output.

        Let me know if you need any specific help with Techsoft 2D design; it's a great bit of software for the Rolands - I use it all the time!

        If you want some more details on how to go from ProDesktop -> 3D machined piece, I can help out with that too.

        P.S. I'm guessing you're UK based?

        All the best,
        Dan

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I have just found one of these machines in a cupboard and would like to get it working. I have manager to scrounge a spare desktop pc running win xp sp2 and it has techsoft 2d design and pro desktop installed.
        >
        > I would like some advise on how to start with installing correct drivers, best way to connect and which software to use when engraving.
        >
        > I know it sounds a lot but I am a complete novice and would really appreciate help from members of the group who are more experienced.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Robert

      • bobtracey
        Message 3 of 22 , May 10, 2011
          An update

          I have installed the driver and set the CAMM3 PNC-3000 as the default printer.

          Opened 2D Design and set the plotting device in the setup to CAM3 PNC300.

          Drew small rectangle in bottom left corner and print.

          Nothing happens???

          I notice Error display on the pannel lights show an orange light under the number 2. According to the manual this means a command error.

          Is there any function similar to a Test Print that putes the machine through a routine. I have not even seen the spindle spinning yet.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 22 , May 10, 2011
            Robert,
            Just a basic question: Are you sure the PNC-3000 has been taken off manual control.
            I forgot to mention, before pressing output on Techsoft, make sure you press the manual button on the controller, so the LED is OFF. Then try outputting again from Techsoft.

            Keep me posted,
            Cheers,
            Dan

            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

            > An update
            >
            > I have installed the driver and set the CAMM3 PNC-3000 as the default printer.
            >
            > Opened 2D Design and set the plotting device in the setup to CAM3 PNC300.
            >
            > Drew small rectangle in bottom left corner and print.
            >
            > Nothing happens???
            >
            > I notice Error display on the pannel lights show an orange light under the number 2. According to the manual this means a command error.
            >
            > Is there any function similar to a Test Print that putes the machine through a routine. I have not even seen the spindle spinning yet.
            >
            > Robert
            >

            > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > I have just found one of these machines in a cupboard and would like to get it working. I have manager to scrounge a spare desktop pc running win xp sp2 and it has techsoft 2d design and pro desktop installed.
            > >
            > > I would like some advise on how to start with installing correct drivers, best way to connect and which software to use when engraving.
            > >
            > > I know it sounds a lot but I am a complete novice and would really appreciate help from members of the group who are more experienced.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Robert

          • bobtracey
            Message 5 of 22 , May 12, 2011
              Hi

              I mannaged to get the machine running today and even did some engraving on MDF. The problem was the dip switch settings.

              One issue I did have problems with was the orientation. It seems there is potentialy 3 places where orientation can be set.

              I was using Techsoft 2D and all was well as ling as I was using the default setting of 180x150 and I was assuming x=180 and y=150.

              When I changed to a piece of mdf 110x75 it seemed to get its knickers in a twist. I will be playing with it tomorrow and should get my head round it.

              You mentioned in an earlier post that you could offer help with using ProDesktop. I tried that today with no luck.

              Are you able to output straight from ProD or do you have to use something else?

              I would like to make some moulds to use when Vac Forming.

              Finally do you have a good supplier of engraving bits?

              Regards

              Robert

              Message 6 of 22 , May 12, 2011
                Robert,
                Brilliant!

                Keep the Techsoft size set at 180x150mm... don't change the "page size" to the size of your workpiece; always use the 180x150mm work envelope and place your cutting/engraving work accordingly inside this area.
                (You can actaully scale on the machine with P1 and P2 settings, but don't worry about that for now; one would hardly ever use it.)

                Re:ProD,
                Export the file as a .STL file (sterolithography file format).
                Then start MODELA Player (available from our files section).
                Import the file, and everything is quite straightforward from then on, by following the screens in order.
                MODELA player does have it's quirks, such as surfacing or how it decides to cut a way over size "tool border" around the workpiece, but it does work well.

                Re:Engraving bits,
                I get a friend to hand grind me some bespoke ones, so I don't know of where one would go to buy such.

                All the best,
                Dan

                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                > I mannaged to get the machine running today and even did some engraving on MDF. The problem was the dip switch settings.
                >
                > One issue I did have problems with was the orientation. It seems there is potentialy 3 places where orientation can be set.
                >
                > I was using Techsoft 2D and all was well as ling as I was using the default setting of 180x150 and I was assuming x=180 and y=150.
                >
                > When I changed to a piece of mdf 110x75 it seemed to get its knickers in a twist. I will be playing with it tomorrow and should get my head round it.
                >
                > You mentioned in an earlier post that you could offer help with using ProDesktop. I tried that today with no luck.
                >
                > Are you able to output straight from ProD or do you have to use something else?
                >
                > I would like to make some moulds to use when Vac Forming.
                >
                > Finally do you have a good supplier of engraving bits?
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Robert
              • bobtracey
                Message 7 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                  Hi

                  The plot thickens. The PC I am connected to also has a CAMM-1 PNC 1000A connected and its associated driver. This was clashing with the CAMM-3 driver and causing the problems.

                  I uninstalled the CAMM-3 driver leaving the CAMM-1 in place and when in 2D Design I set the plotting device to CAMM-3. This now works but I have to plot rather than print.

                  The Modela player is a funny one. I downloaded all the contents of the folder, 7 zip files. When I go to extract them a window pops open asking to insert Disc 7. This pop up window cannot be closed and so I have to go ctl alt del and close it in task manager. Any thoughts on this?

                  Thanks again for your help.

                  Message 8 of 22 , May 17, 2011
                    Robert,

                    Remove the PNC-1000 driver, install the CAMM3 driver, and set as default. Hopefully that should sort that side of things.

                    I see you've downloaded Modella Player 4. I uploaded that after snagging a copy from a later machine.
                    It doesn't directly support the PNC-3000; and required more intermediate steps...

                    Try the original version of Modela Player.
                    Check the files section for MODELA.ZIP. Should be about 2.5MB.

                    All the best,
                    Dan

                    --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

                    > Hi
                    >
                    > The plot thickens. The PC I am connected to also has a CAMM-1 PNC 1000A connected and its associated driver. This was clashing with the CAMM-3 driver and causing the problems.
                    >
                    > I uninstalled the CAMM-3 driver leaving the CAMM-1 in place and when in 2D Design I set the plotting device to CAMM-3. This now works but I have to plot rather than print.
                    >
                    > The Modela player is a funny one. I downloaded all the contents of the folder, 7 zip files. When I go to extract them a window pops open asking to insert Disc 7. This pop up window cannot be closed and so I have to go ctl alt del and close it in task manager. Any thoughts on this?
                    >
                    > Thanks again for your help.
                    >
                    > Robert
                  • bobtracey
                    Message 9 of 22 , May 18, 2011
                      Hi

                      As always it seemt to be 2 forward and 1 back but at least it is going in the right direction. LOL

                      I have deleted the other driver and that seems to have sorted the orientation problem and also now have the modela working and am importing .stl files.

                      A question about setting the tools. I am OK with setting tools in 2D Design but not in modela.

                      I have created a shape in ProD 170x30x30 rounded the top corners 3mm and put some text on top extruded below workplane 3mm, exported .stl and imported into modela player.

                      This is where I get in a muddle. The 3d shape is in modela and I go through the screens entering the info as requested and get to the end and click start.

                      In this case the machine started cutting but it was cutting a different size, probably about 170x50x30 thats y=50 and z=30. And it stopped before it machined the text.

                      Do I have to go into the print setup advanced settings and set the tool parameters whilst in modela or what? This is the bit I am not sure about.

                      I am on this machine like a tramp on chips and the HOD is starting to give me funny looks.

                      Message 10 of 22 , May 18, 2011
                        Robert,
                        I'm glad you're getting their eventually :)
                        It's a great machine to learn about and use.

                        Two more points of interest:
                        - You do not need to change anything in the Windows printer dialogue boxes for the PNC-3000, and would be advise against changing anything; let the program outputting handle the setup.

                        - On the Roland website there are update files for all Roland software; ensure they are all patched and up to date. Occasionally throughout the updates there have been changes to tool libraries and minor bug fixes etc.
                        http://download.rolanddg.jp/en/3d.html#pnc333100

                        Can you be more specific about the issues with tool setting in Modela Player?
                        You set tool parameters up based upon a given material.

                        Option -> Customer Parameters.

                        Then either modify a current material, or create a new one. (I strongly suggest you check over the settings for the presets, some speeds and feeds are a little off!)
                        You add in cutter diameters and all their feed rates and cut depths.

                        About the scaling issue... assuming you've not messed with the defaults for P1 and P2 (which should be set by default to full scale when you re-home the machine); have you set the correct machine in Modela?

                        Option -> Machines.

                        Is the scale wrong for both Techsoft and Modela? Both would suggest a machine scale issue, just one or the other would suggest it's software config. ;-)

                        If the text didn't cut; it may be because of the "z-cut" amount you specificed. If the text was 0.2mm high, and you are cutting on the z-depth at 1.0mm steps; chances are it will miss it because of this.

                        If that is not the issue, it could be the resolution of the STL file output. Did they display on the Modela screen? If they didn't, try re-exporting from ProD but give it a smaller chord height. This will increase the detail of the model (and file size!).

                        I'd personally suggest modelling the 3D solid without the text, (assuming the text is going onto a flat surface). Cut the solid in Modela, then fire up Techsoft to cut/engrave the text, by using an appropriate datum on the model corner. This would save a load of time rather than specifying a very thin z-cut depth e.g. 0.1mm so to ensure the text would be covered.

                        @Tramp on Chips - Haha - Excellent!
                        You'll be doing everything on that machine soon, from everyone's project work down to routing out PCB's!

                        When you're cranking out machined complex 3D designs, it would be good to see some completed work from the CAMM3; pop back and upload some into the files section if you have time. :)

                        Keep me posted if you get stuck,

                        Best Regards,
                        Dan

                        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

                        > Hi
                        >
                        > As always it seemt to be 2 forward and 1 back but at least it is going in the right direction. LOL
                        >
                        > I have deleted the other driver and that seems to have sorted the orientation problem and also now have the modela working and am importing .stl files.
                        >
                        > A question about setting the tools. I am OK with setting tools in 2D Design but not in modela.
                        >
                        > I have created a shape in ProD 170x30x30 rounded the top corners 3mm and put some text on top extruded below workplane 3mm, exported .stl and imported into modela player.
                        >
                        > This is where I get in a muddle. The 3d shape is in modela and I go through the screens entering the info as requested and get to the end and click start.
                        >
                        > In this case the machine started cutting but it was cutting a different size, probably about 170x50x30 thats y=50 and z=30. And it stopped before it machined the text.
                        >
                        > Do I have to go into the print setup advanced settings and set the tool parameters whilst in modela or what? This is the bit I am not sure about.
                        >
                        > I am on this machine like a tramp on chips and the HOD is starting to give me funny looks.
                        >
                        > Regards
                        >
                        > Robert
                      • tecfacet
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 18, 2011
                          ...tramp on chips... god I miss new zealand and fish & chips. was a happy time for me.. LOL

                          Roger
                        • bobtracey
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 7 1:00 PM
                            Hi

                            Its been a while since I lasted posted and I have managet to get to grips with using my CAMM 3 to do most basic 2D stuff.

                            I am still having problems with cutting 3D shapes. I am using ProDesktop to creat a basic dome shape and exporting it as an .stl file.

                            I load the stl file into Modela player and go through the settings.

                            The software creats the cut paths and the CAMM 3 fires up. All that happens is the CAMM 3 moves the gutter around the outside edge of the material but does not cut.

                            All the drivers are up to date.

                            I am at a loss as to what to check next and any help would be greatly apprediated.

                            Robert

                            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

                            > Hi
                            >
                            > As always it seemt to be 2 forward and 1 back but at least it is going in the right direction. LOL
                            >
                            > I have deleted the other driver and that seems to have sorted the orientation problem and also now have the modela working and am importing .stl files.
                            >
                            > A question about setting the tools. I am OK with setting tools in 2D Design but not in modela.
                            >
                            > I have created a shape in ProD 170x30x30 rounded the top corners 3mm and put some text on top extruded below workplane 3mm, exported .stl and imported into modela player.
                            >
                            > This is where I get in a muddle. The 3d shape is in modela and I go through the screens entering the info as requested and get to the end and click start.
                            >
                            > In this case the machine started cutting but it was cutting a different size, probably about 170x50x30 thats y=50 and z=30. And it stopped before it machined the text.
                            >
                            > Do I have to go into the print setup advanced settings and set the tool parameters whilst in modela or what? This is the bit I am not sure about.
                            >
                            > I am on this machine like a tramp on chips and the HOD is starting to give me funny looks.
                            >
                            > Regards
                            >
                            > Robert
                            >

                            > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Robert,
                            > >
                            > > Remove the PNC-1000 driver, install the CAMM3 driver, and set as default. Hopefully that should sort that side of things.
                            > >
                            > > I see you've downloaded Modella Player 4. I uploaded that after snagging a copy from a later machine.
                            > > It doesn't directly support the PNC-3000; and required more intermediate steps...
                            > >
                            > > Try the original version of Modela Player.
                            > > Check the files section for MODELA.ZIP. Should be about 2.5MB.
                            > >
                            > > All the best,
                            > > Dan
                            > >

                            > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi
                            > > >
                            > > > The plot thickens. The PC I am connected to also has a CAMM-1 PNC 1000A connected and its associated driver. This was clashing with the CAMM-3 driver and causing the problems.
                            > > >
                            > > > I uninstalled the CAMM-3 driver leaving the CAMM-1 in place and when in 2D Design I set the plotting device to CAMM-3. This now works but I have to plot rather than print.
                            > > >
                            > > > The Modela player is a funny one. I downloaded all the contents of the folder, 7 zip files. When I go to extract them a window pops open asking to insert Disc 7. This pop up window cannot be closed and so I have to go ctl alt del and close it in task manager. Any thoughts on this?
                            > > >
                            > > > Thanks again for your help.
                            > > >
                            > > > Robert

                          • mgrguitar
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 7 1:06 PM
                              If you look at the code in a text editor, are there any negative x or y coordinates? With my PNC-3000, it's only happy if all coordinates are positive (except for the Z-axis of course:))

                              All the best,

                              Mitch

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 7 1:06 PM
                                Hi Robert,
                                This is normal; or at least it should be at the beginning of each Modela cycle.
                                It assumes you are always cutting into a workpiece bigger than the size you tell it, so it decides to machine a gully around the part, just a bit wider than the tool used, so the tool has space to "park" momentarily, before cutting the next X/Y slice.
                                I can not remember how to tell it to turn this off; if it is possible at all.

                                Are you saying *after* it finishes cutting this large gutter it stops and does nothing?
                                If so, that would not be normal behaviour.
                                Or have you left it to run through it's gutter cycle?

                              • clwphstd@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 8 6:56 AM
                                  You may also want to check your tool size to make sure it fits the text size.... If the text is smaller than the tool, it won't cut... Because it won't fit.

                                  Have fun,
                                  Chris.

                                  In a message dated 3/7/2012 1:07:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, mitchregnier@... writes:

                                  If you look at the code in a text editor, are there any negative x or y coordinates? With my PNC-3000, it's only happy if all coordinates are positive (except for the Z-axis of course:))

                                  All the best,

                                  Mitch

                                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi
                                  >
                                  > Its been a while since I lasted posted and I have managet to get to grips with using my CAMM 3 to do most basic 2D stuff.
                                  >
                                  > I am still having problems with cutting 3D shapes. I am using ProDesktop to creat a basic dome shape and exporting it as an .stl file.
                                  >
                                  > I load the stl file into Modela player and go through the settings.
                                  >
                                  > The software creats the cut paths and the CAMM 3 fires up. All that happens is the CAMM 3 moves the gutter around the outside edge of the material but does not cut.
                                  >
                                  > All the drivers are up to date.
                                  >
                                  > I am at a loss as to what to check next and any help would be greatly apprediated.
                                  >
                                  > Robert
                                  >

                                  > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bobtracey" <bobtracey@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Hi
                                  > >
                                  > > As always it seemt to be 2 forward and 1 back but at least it is going in the right direction. LOL
                                  > >
                                  > > I have deleted the other driver and that seems to have sorted the orientation problem and also now have the modela working and am importing .stl files.
                                  > >
                                  > > A question about setting the tools. I am OK with setting tools in 2D Design but not in modela.
                                  > >
                                  > > I have created a shape in ProD 170x30x30 rounded the top corners 3mm and put some text on top extruded below workplane 3mm, exported .stl and imported into modela player.
                                  > >
                                  > > This is where I get in a muddle. The 3d shape is in modela and I go through the screens entering the info as requested and get to the end and click start.
                                  > >
                                  > > In this case the machine started cutting but it was cutting a different size, probably about 170x50x30 thats y=50 and z=30. And it stopped before it machined the text.
                                  > >
                                  > > Do I have to go into the print setup advanced settings and set the tool parameters whilst in modela or what? This is the bit I am not sure about.
                                  > >
                                  > > I am on this machine like a tramp on chips and the HOD is starting to give me funny looks.
                                  > >
                                  > > Regards
                                  > >
                                  > > Robert
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Robert,
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Remove the PNC-1000 driver, install the CAMM3 driver, and set as default. Hopefully that should sort that side of things.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > I see you've downloaded Modella Player 4. I uploaded that after snagging a copy from a later machine.
                                  > > > It doesn't directly support the PNC-3000; and required more intermediate steps...
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Try the original version of Modela Player.
                                  > > > Check the files section for MODELA.ZIP. Should be about 2.5MB.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > All the best,
                                  > > > Dan

                                • bobtracey
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Mar 10 3:44 AM
                                    Hi

                                    Thanks for replying. I am just trying to cut a test piece. It is a block of MDF 100 x 100 x 50 and am trying to shape it into a dome. After loading the stl file into modela I go through the built In routine. I think it goes something like (I'm at home and can't see the software)

                                    orientation, top bottom side etc. I choose top. I think there is a icon of an elephant sitting, on it's head on its side etc

                                    Then I think you are asked to check the material size.

                                    Next it is the depth of cut. I am not sure what to put in here. Is it the amount of material you want to remove at each pass or is it the total amount? The dome shape I have created is 50 mm deep but the rounded top only comes down about 30 mm.

                                    Next you can select the tool dia. And type, the options are bull nose or flat

                                    Then you can choose draft or fine for the cut type.

                                    After the final selection the software works out the cut path which is shown on the drawing.

                                    When I then select start the camm 3 fires up, the tool moves to the middle of the block, moves back to the home position.

                                    The tool then moves around the top edge of the block and stays 2 mm above the surface.

                                    I have left it running for an while and the cut path never changes

                                    Anyway after all that ramble I realise I could make a short video of it all. I might try that next if no one can help

                                    Regards.

                                    Robert

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Mar 10 3:54 AM
                                      Robert,
                                      When you set the home position, did you set "Home" and "Z0"? Or did you set some other Z1 or Z2?

                                    • bobtracey
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Mar 10 2:04 PM
                                        Hi

                                        I only set the Home and the z0.

> [...]

                                        > > > click start.

                                        > > > different size, probably about 170x50x30 thats y=50 and z=30. And it stopped before
                                        > > > it machined the text.

                                        > > > tool parameters whilst in modela or what? This is the bit I am not sure about.

                                        > > > give me funny looks.

                                        > > > default. Hopefully that should sort that side of things.

                                        > > > snagging a copy from a later machine.
                                        > > > intermediate steps...

                                        > > > 1000A connected and its associated driver. This was clashing with the
                                        > > > CAMM-3 driver and causing the problems.

                                        > > > when in 2D Design I set the plotting device to CAMM-3. This now works but I
                                        > > > have to plot rather than print.

                                        > > > the folder, 7 zip files. When I go to extract them a window pops open
                                        > > > asking to insert Disc 7. This pop up window cannot be closed and so I have to
                                        > > > go ctl alt del and close it in task manager. Any thoughts on this?

                                      • bobtracey
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Mar 16 12:54 AM
                                          Hi

                                          I have noticed I am using Modela ver 2.2 and there is a version 4 available. When I try to extract the zip I get the message saying insert disc 1 of 7. The 7 zip files are in the same directory and I am extracting to a diferent drive.

                                          Robert

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Mar 16 2:23 AM
                                            Robert,
                                            Modela Player 4 and Modela (~2.2) are entirely different programs. We need to get you working on 2.2, before you look at making 4 work.

                                          • fi85_uk
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 20, 2012
                                              Hi just wondering what you had to set the dip switches to to get it to work? Thanks,

                                              Fiona

                                            • pejohnson@talk21.com
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 20, 2012
                                                Dips I have been running mine on with no probs where 0 = down or towards the front of the machine

                                                SW-1
                                                Mode
                                                1=0
                                                2=0
                                                3=1
                                                4=1
                                                5=1
                                                6=0
                                                Font
                                                7=1
                                                8=1
                                                9=1
                                                10=1

                                                SW-2 all set to 1

                                                For use in techsoft I never bother changing the material size i just drop the drawing onto the CAMM3 layout.  I always mount the job level with the left most position of travel and level with the front of the bed.  I then position the drawing on the 'bed' within techsoft to fit onto the job.

                                                One thing that can catch people out is when you have mounted your job on the bed, set the zero with the sensor then sent the program from the PC to the camm 3 it throws up the error.  This can be because you are trying to get the Z travel to go lower than it is possible (maybe you have fitted a shorter cutter or thinner material)  The best way I have found to overcome this is I have 2 pieces of 18mm thick MDF to give a sacraficial bed 36mm thick.  i clamp them to the bed then usualy mount the material (modeling foam or acrylic)  with double sided tape.  If im doing MDF or Aluminium I mount with double sided tape and clamp it too.  do all the engraving, holes etc and then finally cut round the shape.  The tape is usually good enough to hold for this final process.

                                                Pro desktop requires a post processor, you export the file from ProD as a stereo lithograph file set to binary

                                                You then open that in the post processor, settng all the info in there to match you machining requirments.
                                                I use Deskproto for this.  Its not a bad program add quite cheep and you can download it for a free 30day trial.

                                                Pete