mod to CAMM3 PNC-3000 to run from Mach3

  • andrewloen
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
      I recently picked up a 3000 in excellent condition and have designed and built a mod that allows the 3000 to run under Mach3 control. It uses a simple switch to pass control back and forth between the Z80 micro and the PC.

      I can power up the 3000 under its own control (Z80), zero the home switches, set the tool height over the workpiece with the sensor, zero the display, and then pass control to Mach3. As the PC controls the movement, the XYZ display on the 3000 displays the movement of the machine, which matches the Mach3 controls.

      The mod involves replacing the I/O expander IC on the main board of the 3000, IC33, the 82C55. It is replaced with a pin to pin replica circuit board, that also includes connections for the 6 control lines from the parallel port on Mach3 (step and direction on XYZ). It also has two connections for the switch. If everything is left un-connected, the Mach3 operates normally.

      If this mod is of interest to others, let me know. I can publish the design and circuit layout. I could also put up a YouTube video showing the machine working, and explain how it works.

      Andrew
    • swarf_addict
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
        I'm very interested!

        Jim

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "andrewloen" <andrewloen@...> wrote:

        > I recently picked up a 3000 in excellent condition and have designed and built a mod that allows the 3000 to run under Mach3 control. It uses a simple switch to pass control back and forth between the Z80 micro and the PC.
        >
        > I can power up the 3000 under its own control (Z80), zero the home switches, set the tool height over the workpiece with the sensor, zero the display, and then pass control to Mach3. As the PC controls the movement, the XYZ display on the 3000 displays the movement of the machine, which matches the Mach3 controls.
        >
        > The mod involves replacing the I/O expander IC on the main board of the 3000, IC33, the 82C55. It is replaced with a pin to pin replica circuit board, that also includes connections for the 6 control lines from the parallel port on Mach3 (step and direction on XYZ). It also has two connections for the switch. If everything is left un-connected, the Mach3 operates normally.
        >
        > If this mod is of interest to others, let me know. I can publish the design and circuit layout. I could also put up a YouTube video showing the machine working, and explain how it works.
        >
        > Andrew

      • tecfacet
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
          I am also interested.

          Roger

          > I recently picked up a 3000 in excellent condition and have designed and built a mod that allows the 3000 to run under Mach3 control. It uses a simple switch to pass control back and forth between the Z80 micro and the PC.
          >
          > I can power up the 3000 under its own control (Z80), zero the home switches, set the tool height over the workpiece with the sensor, zero the display, and then pass control to Mach3. As the PC controls the movement, the XYZ display on the 3000 displays the movement of the machine, which matches the Mach3 controls.
          >
          > The mod involves replacing the I/O expander IC on the main board of the 3000, IC33, the 82C55. It is replaced with a pin to pin replica circuit board, that also includes connections for the 6 control lines from the parallel port on Mach3 (step and direction on XYZ). It also has two connections for the switch. If everything is left un-connected, the Mach3 operates normally.
          >
          > If this mod is of interest to others, let me know. I can publish the design and circuit layout. I could also put up a YouTube video showing the machine working, and explain how it works.
          >
          > Andrew

        • cyberzl1
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
            I'm interested.

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
              Curious as well. Not sure I will mod mine, as I'm an NC rookie...
            • Sean
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                YES I am also very interested!

                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "andrewloen" <andrewloen@...> wrote:

                > I recently picked up a 3000 in excellent condition and have designed and built a mod that allows the 3000 to run under Mach3 control. It uses a simple switch to pass control back and forth between the Z80 micro and the PC.
                >
                > I can power up the 3000 under its own control (Z80), zero the home switches, set the tool height over the workpiece with the sensor, zero the display, and then pass control to Mach3. As the PC controls the movement, the XYZ display on the 3000 displays the movement of the machine, which matches the Mach3 controls.
                >
                > The mod involves replacing the I/O expander IC on the main board of the 3000, IC33, the 82C55. It is replaced with a pin to pin replica circuit board, that also includes connections for the 6 control lines from the parallel port on Mach3 (step and direction on XYZ). It also has two connections for the switch. If everything is left un-connected, the Mach3 operates normally.
                >
                > If this mod is of interest to others, let me know. I can publish the design and circuit layout. I could also put up a YouTube video showing the machine working, and explain how it works.
                >
                > Andrew

              • namnp2005
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 15, 2014
                  Dear Andrew.
                  Yes, I very interested. Please sent me your desight and circuit layout at: namnp2007(at)mail.com. Thanks so much.
                • garfieldchr
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 19
                    Dear Andrew, I am very interrested in this. Will your mod work on a pnc3100? If so please send me your paypal(I hope you usethis) account and tell me where we go from here.

                    Andreas
                  • andrew loen
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 19
                      Hi Andreas,

                      I looked online for a service manual for the PNC-3100 to check the schematic and can't find one.  So, I am not sure.  Perhaps others in this forum have used it on the PNC3100 and can vouch for it working.  Anyone?

                      I have several in stock that I can ship, if you would like one.

                      Andrew

                      Dear Andrew, I am very interrested in this. Will your mod work on a pnc3100? If so please send me your paypal(I hope you usethis) account and tell me where we go from here.

                      Andreas

                    • cycloid007
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8
                        Hello Andrew, is the circuit board for the CAMM to Mach3 still available ? I am about to purchase a CAMM 3000 PNC, it is a standard unaltered machine. The current owner runs it with CUT 2D.

                        Best regards John
                      • Andrew Loen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 8
                          Yes, I have several on hand.
                          Andrew

                          On 2015-03-08, at 10:23, "vapouriser@... [CAMM-3]" <CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Hello Andrew, is the circuit board for the CAMM to Mach3 still available ? I am about to purchase a CAMM 3000 PNC, it is a standard unaltered machine. The current owner runs it with CUT 2D.

                          Best regards John

                        • divequip1
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 8
                            Want to give a shout out to Andrew Loen for the fantastic conversion board I received.
                            Came with extras not even mentioned and a beautifully produced instruction sheet not to mention the careful packaging.
                            We are really blessed to have Andrew's talent in our group adapting our little mill to run on 21st century software.
                            Now busy learning (more accurately, trying to learn) Inventor HSM Pro and then on to Mach3.
                            Thanks again Andrew!
                            Best,
                            Jack
                          • bgzsn88
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 6
                              Hello Andrew, is the circuit board for the CAMM to Mach3 still available?
                              I have a CAMM 3 PNC 300 (not PNC 3000).

                              Thank you

                              Alessandro

                              e-mail: bgzlsn88@...
                              Hello Andrew, is the circuit board for the CAMM to Mach3 still available ? I am about to purchase a CAMM 3000 PNC, it is a standard unaltered machine. The current owner runs it with CUT 2D.

                              Best regards John
                              Hello Andrew, is the circuit board for the CAMM to Mach3 still available ? I am about to purchase a CAMM 3000 PNC, it is a standard unaltered machine. The current owner runs it with CUT 2D.

                              Best regards John
                              Hello Andrew, is the circuit board for the CAMM to Mach3 still available ? I am about to purchase a CAMM 3000 PNC, it is a standard unaltered machine. The current owner runs it with CUT 2D.

                              Best regards John
                            • bgzlsn88
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 9
                                Hi Andrew, how i can buy the circuit board for the CAMM to Mach3? I have a CAMM 300 PNC, it is the adapter the same for my machine?