Contact sensor

  • oreo_cruncher
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2007
      I have a PNC-3000 with most of the accessories and manuals. But never
      had the sensor described in the manual.

      What is this device?
      Is it just an electrical contact?

      Thanks in advance!
      Steve
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2007
        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "oreo_cruncher" <groups9a@...> wrote:

        > I have a PNC-3000 with most of the accessories and manuals. But never
        > had the sensor described in the manual.
        >
        > What is this device?
        > Is it just an electrical contact?
        >
        > Thanks in advance!
        > Steve

        Hi Steve,

        I deleted your duplicate post to avoid confusion.
        Anyway, I wanted one of these sensors a while back, and it's hard to buy the machines, let
        alone any of the accessories. So I made one myself.

        It plugs into the Z0 Sensor port on the side of the machine at the back, by the other cable
        connections (to the servos). It is a 4 pin rj-10 connector, which is commonly used in
        phone cables, from the phone to the handset (not from the phone to the wall - they are
        rj-12 I think.)

        So I got one of these curly phone cables and stipped 1 end off. There are 4 pins, and 3 do
        not have a purpose (that I can find!) Perhaps one is ground, and the other 2 are for an
        LED???

        Anyway, the other pin, I think 2nd or 3rd along, when connected to the tip of the
        toolpiece, stops the machine moving down. So the Z0 sensor is a lump of brass with an
        insulated base (plastic) that is of a known exact height. e.g. 40mm. The workpiece is
        clamped down, and the sensor placed ontop. Press Z0 on the control pannel and move the
        Z axis down. The machine will move alot slower. When it touches the Z0 sensor it will stop.
        Then remove the Z0 sensor and take off the known height of the sensor, e.g. 40mm, now
        set the Z0 datum, and you're bang on the top surface! No more touching on!

        Hope that helped!

        Dan :-)
      • jws
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 17, 2007
          It's a little "puck" about an inch tall and about 1-1/2" or so in dia, It's used to set the tool length in the "Z" axis. It has a cord on it with a phone type plug on the end that plugs into a socket over by where the front panel plugs in. the sensor isn't necessary if you touch in the same way that you would on any other machine.
          I have a PNC-3000 with most of the accessories and manuals. But never
          had the sensor described in the manual.

          What is this device?
          Is it just an electrical contact?

          Thanks in advance!