Re: Need help figuring out how to use a Camm-3

  • robinghewitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
      Hi Jason

      I am not the best person to answer this, but if nobody else is going to chip in...

      The problems are:-

      1: Roland make plotters and decided to use slightly modified plotter firmware so the commands are a bit whacky.

      2: If your cut strays outside the active area it doesn't complain it simply ignores you.

      3: It was designed to cut modelling wax.

      4: Collets are hard to find and do not appreciate adjustable spanners.

      The command structure does include a goto x,y,z so you aren't stuck with the PenUp PenDn notion. It can probably set a feedrate that isn't on the display. Not sure on that.

      Software is available but I took one look at the commands and decided to rewrite the EPROM. I never tried the CD that came with it.

      It is fixable, I'm working on it but I'm not there yet.

      best

      Robin

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "jml_2384" <jason_84_923@...> wrote:

      > Hi all! I'm an instructor at a small college and we just recently discovered that we had a Camm-3 that had been purchased years ago. We don't really have a lot of experience with CNC but we'd really like to get this machine up and be able to use it so our students can get an introduction to CNC and build some prototype parts as a project. So far we have had the machine run some sample parts in trial versions of a couple programs that we have downloaded trial versions of. Bobcam, sheetcam and desk proto. We have had the best luck with desk proto, but still haven't had a successful part cut.
      >
      > Here are the problems:
      >
      > machine will quit part way through the program
      > machine will run the program but not all of the path will be on the part
      >
      > One of our biggest problems seems to be the origin of the part, out other problem may be with communication. Any help would be appreciated!
      >
      > Thanks

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2011
        Go to the files section and download the Roland software. It will convert DXF and STL files into proper machine code.

        The Roland does not recognize negative numbers. If you have a x- or y- cordinate in your post, it will consider it to be a + and go there.

        Also, There are times the machine will stop in the middle of a program. It is an error that stopped it. The readout on the head will indicate what the error is by lighting up certain LED's, check the manual for what the error is. You can sometimes recover from an error by pushing the pause button.

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "jml_2384" <jason_84_923@...> wrote:

        > Hi all! I'm an instructor at a small college and we just recently discovered that we had a Camm-3 that had been purchased years ago. We don't really have a lot of experience with CNC but we'd really like to get this machine up and be able to use it so our students can get an introduction to CNC and build some prototype parts as a project. So far we have had the machine run some sample parts in trial versions of a couple programs that we have downloaded trial versions of. Bobcam, sheetcam and desk proto. We have had the best luck with desk proto, but still haven't had a successful part cut.
        >
        > Here are the problems:
        >
        > machine will quit part way through the program
        > machine will run the program but not all of the path will be on the part
        >
        > One of our biggest problems seems to be the origin of the part, out other problem may be with communication. Any help would be appreciated!
        >
        > Thanks

      • jml_2384
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2011
          Well we got it working with a program called Desk Proto. We've made several parts on it now. I still have a couple questions

          One, how large a file can you send? We have had to reduce the size of th NC files or it crashes. We have it set to 4k right now and we get a lot of files to send.

          Second, what are some options of materials to cut on it for test cuts and prototypes? We would like students to be able to use it on occasion and have some low cost materials for them to use. I found the blocks of wax that Roland used to sell for use with it but they are pretty pricey.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2011
            With regard to the materials, this stuff "TryCut" is very good for prototypes and works well with this machine; higher cutting feed rates are not a problem.
            http://www.trycut.co.uk/

            You can also melt it down (swarf or whole parts) and reuse by recasting it into new blocks :)

            Hope that helps,
            Dan