CAM Software suggestions

  • rowifi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2011
      I would like to try out my CAMM3 again using the PC.
      I failed miserably last time.

      I would like to do simple milling and drilling - no need for complex 3D shapes.

      I can produce a 3d file or a 2d dwg file in many formats from Solid Edge - but I'm looking for a FREE cam program that will output to the CAMM3 reliably. From recollection, the CAMM3 commands are not quite industry standard and the post processor needs to be exactly compatible.

      Any suggestions or recomendations, or advice?

      Thanks
      Rob
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2011
        Rob,
        For 2D / 2.5D Techsoft 2D design is the best I feel... but it's not free :(

        Otherwise any 3D package that can export in STL file format (even Google Sketchup may do this natively or with a plug-in) - not very "engineer friendly" but free :)
        Then in chosen 3D package, export to STL and import into Modella Player (basic, but works well)
        Or Modella Player 4 (more complex to get working with the PNC-3000 as it's not really designed to work) I wrote a converter that makes it work though...
        STL files works well with the Rolands...

        Have a root around in the files section; install, have a play and see what works best for you.

        Best Regards,
        Dan