Re: Newbie questions

  • robinghewitt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2011
      > I know that the bigger industrial machines do metal but how they get the fine cutters to not snap is a mystery to me.

      Hi Graham

      Assuming the set up is good, fine cutters snap if there is flex in the system. If the cutting force can bend something between tool tip and workpiece then the tool will prefer to rub rather than cut. As the cut fails to progress tension builds up until it suddenly switches from rubbing to cutting, digs in deep and may overload the cutter. Everything bends but the big machines bend a lot less than the tinies.

      Sharp tooling helps. HSS takes a better edge than carbide. High helix tooling transfers more of the cutting load to the Z axis but can be tricky to find in the smaller sizes. Always cut downhill if you aren't slotting, makes it much harder to sustain a rub.

      I don't have the machine to look at yet but I'm wondering if the weak link might be where they have raised the bed to clear the X axis motor did they get enough metal in there? The picture is vague. It must be possible because a lot of people cut aluminium with gantry routers having much larger overhangs than the Roland. OTOH, confidence is that feeling you get before you understand the problem, I'll have to get my DTI on it to find the flex.

      best

      Robin