Re: Roland PNC 3000

  • mwk6411
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2010
      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bd223306" <bd223306@...> wrote:

      > I have a Roland PNC 3000 machine that I was given.
      > I would like to get it running, does anyone have operating manuals.
      > What do you need for a computer/ operating system/ cable to connect to the computer? I have Surfcam and Mastercam, can I download from either of these to run the machine?Does it read g-code?
      > Any help would be appreciated.
      > Thanks

      Hello,

      I just found this group. I have a PNC-3000 I have been using in my wood shop for years. I use visio with the windows driver for simple stuff changing the colors to get diffrent depths/speeds.

      I was looking for a full blown 3d driver for Personal Designer , That is my favorite for "Real" 3D design work but I lost the code file for the lock box long ago and so Personal Machinist and the Post processor for the camm 3 is not working. But HPGL and the 4D Graphics Personal Designer software are Free now so I can use the Model and write to a plotter for 2D work.

      I have been meaning to write a UPL program to incorporate the Z axis into the output ( Make my own simple post processor ) so I can do some better surfaces and expand the work I use it for in the shop. Mostly speaker cutouts, and other wire cutouts, just for fun.

      Anyway, Hello to this group and Visio is a pretty simple way to get accurate cutouts, I am not familiar with other ways since I've been using it by myself for 10+ years !!
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
        Are you refering to Microsoft Visio that is part of Office?
        I have never tried that. Tell me more please

        Thank you

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2010
          Yes, that's the one.

          I set up a page size of 180mm x 150 mm.

          If you explore the CAMM3 windows printer driver in detail you will see that each color is assigned properties, like material, z depth, step. So over the years I have a standard set of colors that cut to common depths. Material will indicate spindle RPM and feed rate.

          Then it's pretty simple in visio if you draw a circle of radius 300mm and make it black it will cut a circle in that exact spot to the depth specified by black. ( I also set the line width to match the tool ie 2.5 mm or 3 mm ) so that you can see the real cut path.

          You need to line up the (0,0,0) coordinate at the left front surface corner of the part and set z0 to the surface.

          When I get a chance I can post a Visio I did for an FRS125 Speaker cutout front / back.

          Mark