Camm3 PNC-3000 tool holder mod to ER16

  • pcmacsng
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2007
      Hi All

      Removed the original tool holder collet chuck and install the ER16 to
      a shaft (to fit the 2 bearings). Now using inexpensive high speed
      steel end mills and drill bits from 0.5mm to 10mm. Total cost
      S$100(approx US$65) for the retrofitting work. Another S$220 for the
      ER16 kit from Taiwan. Doing prototyping work on Copper and Aluminum
      substrates. Manual operation but would like to cnc some work to ease
      and save time. Used autocad 14 to convert and import but would not
      work in Modela.

      I can share and post the conversion details to ER16 if there are
      owners who need these info.

      Would appreciate some suggestions on the software though. My works
      entails 3D cutting on Cu and Al.

      Thanks!
    • cadcamcreations
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "pcmacsng" <macpc@...> wrote:

        > Hi All
        >
        > Removed the original tool holder collet chuck and install the ER16 to
        > a shaft (to fit the 2 bearings). Now using inexpensive high speed
        > steel end mills and drill bits from 0.5mm to 10mm. Total cost
        > S$100(approx US$65) for the retrofitting work. Another S$220 for the
        > ER16 kit from Taiwan. Doing prototyping work on Copper and Aluminum
        > substrates. Manual operation but would like to cnc some work to ease
        > and save time. Used autocad 14 to convert and import but would not
        > work in Modela.
        >
        > I can share and post the conversion details to ER16 if there are
        > owners who need these info.
        >
        > Would appreciate some suggestions on the software though. My works
        > entails 3D cutting on Cu and Al.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >I would like the conversion info please if you want 3d/2.5d cam software I can e-mail it
        to you, regards Graham
      • pcmacsng
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
          I will post the mod once I get the photos taken. It has been quite a
          while since I mod it.
        • Dave Mucha
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007

            > I can share and post the conversion details to ER16 if there are
            > owners who need these info.
            >
            > Would appreciate some suggestions on the software though. My works
            > entails 3D cutting on Cu and Al.
            >
            > Thanks!

            I am very interested in the mod. I am at that point of thinking to
            sell the unit and replace it with a CNC'd Mini-Mill (Sieg X2)

            Your conversion at that low price might be the difference between me
            keeping and selling it.

            The software is the other concern.

            I had talked to the designer of SheetCAM. it is a post processor that
            will take your DXF or whatever, files, then allow you to all tool
            offsets and such.

            He said that if there were some interest and the software was not too
            complex, he would write a software conversion.

            Anyone know the commands the machine uses ?

            Dave
          • cyberzl1
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
              Can anyone recommend some good software for doing PCBs?

              Back in the college days, the lab had a PNC-3000 that they used for making PCBs for lab projects.  Don't remember what software they used.  May have just been Autocad driven.

              That was my original goal when I discovered the machine I have.  I have used it for pretty much everything but, so far.
              I know of a product shipping out of Europe(England I think), that allows one to design boards and directly export to the CAMM3.  Can't remember the name and seem to have misplaced the link.  Other than that, don't know of anything.

              I would like something like Orcad or Pspice that lets one design a circuit and associated PCB.  Obviously cheap(or free) is good.  Not doing anything commerical.  Fine lead pitch isn't an option on a cut board, but for doing simple discrete component stuff it could be handy.  Especially when trying to package in odd (non-rectangular) shapes.

              Thanks

              Jeridiah

            • charlie_camm3
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "pcmacsng" <macpc@...> wrote:

                > Hi All
                >
                > Removed the original tool holder collet chuck and install the ER16
                > a shaft (to fit the 2 bearings). Now using inexpensive high speed
                > steel end mills and drill bits from 0.5mm to 10mm. Total cost
                > S$100(approx US$65) for the retrofitting work. Another S$220 for
                the
                > ER16 kit from Taiwan. Doing prototyping work on Copper and Aluminum
                > substrates. Manual operation but would like to cnc some work to
                ease
                > and save time. Used autocad 14 to convert and import but would not
                > work in Modela.
                >
                > I can share and post the conversion details to ER16 if there are
                > owners who need these info.
                >
                > Would appreciate some suggestions on the software though. My works
                > entails 3D cutting on Cu and Al.
                >
                > Thanks!

                Hi,

                Very attactive price. Can you post the conversion details.

                Thanks,

                Charlie.