Re: PNC 3000 - ER Collets

  • dave_mucha
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 1, 2010
      check the files section. there is a decent set of references there.

      Dave

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, tecfacet <tecfacet@...> wrote:

      > I would really like to locate the service manual for the pnc-3000.
      >
      > What ever happened to the guy who had some motor driver chips for sale?
      >
      > Roger

    • dave_mucha
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
        As I understand, for the bearings, P5 is desired. that seems to be some sort of grading or accuracy.

        It looks like the ER-16 set has a nut with a dia of 2mm (1.1") OD

        how many of you have the spindle go down into a hole, or close to a wall, so that the outside diameter is important ?

        The ER-16 seems to be a very common size and the collets are very readily available.

        we we went to a smaller dia range, say, to 1/4" or 6mm, the nut would be even smaller.

        Dave

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

        > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Sal

      • tecfacet
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
          I would be happy with er-16.

          As I understand, for the bearings, P5 is desired. that seems to be some sort of grading or accuracy.

          It looks like the ER-16 set has a nut with a dia of 2mm (1.1") OD

          how many of you have the spindle go down into a hole, or close to a wall, so that the outside diameter is important ?

          The ER-16 seems to be a very common size and the collets are very readily available.

          we we went to a smaller dia range, say, to 1/4" or 6mm, the nut would be even smaller.

          Dave

          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

          > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Sal

        • db
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
            every bit I use has is 1/8 dia.

            Farmer Dave

            Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 4:01 AM

            Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:48 AM
            href="mailto:CAMM-3%40yahoogroups.com">CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com

            href="mailto:CAMM-3%40yahoogroups.com">CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:

            > > > Here is a
            thought.....
            > > > how many of you would want to just buy a whole
            new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?

            I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".

            > > > I would work
            up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.

            > > > Dave

          • dave_mucha
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
              Here is something I have been thinking about.

              if we were to use the exact same lenght, so that it would hold say, a 1/8" bit at exactly teh same hieght, we did not alter anything.

              we were were to make the spindle an inch shorter, we wold gain more clearance, but lose a bit on the depth.

              something of a trade-off.

              also, the ER-16 nut is larger in dia than the stock spindle.

              The ER-11 would be smaller and hold 6mm and 1/4" end mills.

              Dave

              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "db" <dbueckers000@...> wrote:

              > every bit I use has is 1/8 dia.
              >
              > Farmer Dave

            • dave_mucha
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 3, 2010
                I just uploaded a simple sketch of the ER-11 and ER-16 ends on the spindle.

                Files section, and under collets

                the ER-11 is much smaller
                the ER-16 nut is larger than the spindle shaft we have now.

                The difference to us is that the ER11 collets are smaller, the nut is smaller and that may give us a bit more work envelope ?

                The ER-16 nut is larger, that might cut down on work envelope.
                the ER16 offers the potentil of using an extension for smaller collets
                in that case, a shorter spindle would be a benefit, allowing a larger work envelope for larger stuff, but would have the Z axis arm contact work if one were to try to move too low. that would require the extension to get to were we are now. (but offer more reach with the extension.)

                Dave
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 3, 2010
                  My vote is for ER-16.
                  There are several times when I'd wish I could use a tool >6mm...

                  Any ETA on getting some made?

                  Cheers,
                  Dan

                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                  > I just uploaded a simple sketch of the ER-11 and ER-16 ends on the spindle.
                  >

                  > Files section, and under collets
                  >
                  > the ER-11 is much smaller
                  > the ER-16 nut is larger than the spindle shaft we have now.
                  >
                  > The difference to us is that the ER11 collets are smaller, the nut is smaller and that may give us a bit more work envelope ?
                  >
                  > The ER-16 nut is larger, that might cut down on work envelope.
                  > the ER16 offers the potentil of using an extension for smaller collets
                  > in that case, a shorter spindle would be a benefit, allowing a larger work envelope for larger stuff, but would have the Z axis arm contact work if one were to try to move too low. that would require the extension to get to were we are now. (but offer more reach with the extension.)
                  >
                  > Dave

                • tecfacet
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                    Is there any update on a quote for this spindle?

                    Thanks,

                    Roger