Re: [CAMM-3] Re: PNC 3000 - ER Collets

  • tecfacet
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
      I would be interested possibly.

      --- On Tue, 6/29/10, dave_mucha <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

      From: dave_mucha <dave_mucha@...>
      Subject: [CAMM-3] Re: PNC 3000 - ER Collets
      To: CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, June 29, 2010, 7:05 AM

      Here is a thought.....
      how many of you would want to just buy a whole new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?

      I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".

      I would work up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.

      Dave

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
        I'd be very much up for an ER spindle.
        I would want to source metric collets for it though ;-)

        Regards,
        Dan

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, tecfacet <tecfacet@...> wrote:

        > I would be interested possibly.

      • Randy
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
          Hi Dave,

          I'd be interested but it would depend on cost - any rough idea on what prices might be like?

          Thanks,

          Randall

          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

          > Here is a thought.....
          > how many of you would want to just buy a whole new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?
          >
          > I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".
          >
          > I would work up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.
          >
          > Dave
        • dave_mucha
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
            I will work up some blueprints this week. And send it to my local shop for prices.

            If we can get 6-10 I think the cost would be decent. the work is not that hard for this sort of thing.

            Anyone know the sizes of the bearings ? the bearing numbers ?

            Dave

            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <rlogan@...> wrote:

            > Hi Dave,
            >
            > I'd be interested but it would depend on cost - any rough idea on what prices might be like?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Randall
            >
            > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Here is a thought.....
            > > how many of you would want to just buy a whole new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?
            > >
            > > I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".
            > >
            > > I would work up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.
            > >
            > > Dave

          • Steel Wings
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010

               I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were:  NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z  (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?

              Thanks,
              Sal

              Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:48 AM

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                While we are on the topic of "general driving" for these PNC-3000's: does anyone have a good supplier of drive belts?
                I REALLY need a new one. After the stock one snapped, my make-shift replacement isn't doing too good.

                Name your price; I'll bite your hand off for at least one, hopefully a few.

                Cheers,
                Dan

                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

                > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Sal

              • tecfacet
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                  I would really like to locate the service manual for the pnc-3000.

                  What ever happened to the guy who had some motor driver chips for sale?

                  Roger

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                    We have now have a full copy of the service manual in our files section. Thanks to the uploader.

                    Dan

                    --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, tecfacet <tecfacet@...> wrote:

                    > I would really like to locate the service manual for the pnc-3000.
                    >
                    > What ever happened to the guy who had some motor driver chips for sale?
                    >
                    > Roger

                  • dave_mucha
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 1, 2010
                      check the files section. there is a decent set of references there.

                      Dave

                      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, tecfacet <tecfacet@...> wrote:

                      > I would really like to locate the service manual for the pnc-3000.
                      >
                      > What ever happened to the guy who had some motor driver chips for sale?
                      >
                      > Roger

                    • dave_mucha
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                        As I understand, for the bearings, P5 is desired. that seems to be some sort of grading or accuracy.

                        It looks like the ER-16 set has a nut with a dia of 2mm (1.1") OD

                        how many of you have the spindle go down into a hole, or close to a wall, so that the outside diameter is important ?

                        The ER-16 seems to be a very common size and the collets are very readily available.

                        we we went to a smaller dia range, say, to 1/4" or 6mm, the nut would be even smaller.

                        Dave

                        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

                        > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Sal

                      • tecfacet
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                          I would be happy with er-16.

                          As I understand, for the bearings, P5 is desired. that seems to be some sort of grading or accuracy.

                          It looks like the ER-16 set has a nut with a dia of 2mm (1.1") OD

                          how many of you have the spindle go down into a hole, or close to a wall, so that the outside diameter is important ?

                          The ER-16 seems to be a very common size and the collets are very readily available.

                          we we went to a smaller dia range, say, to 1/4" or 6mm, the nut would be even smaller.

                          Dave

                          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

                          > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Sal

                        • db
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                            every bit I use has is 1/8 dia.

                            Farmer Dave

                            Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 4:01 AM

                            Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:48 AM
                            href="mailto:CAMM-3%40yahoogroups.com">CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com

                            href="mailto:CAMM-3%40yahoogroups.com">CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:

                            > > > Here is a
                            thought.....
                            > > > how many of you would want to just buy a whole
                            new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?

                            I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".

                            > > > I would work
                            up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.

                            > > > Dave

                          • dave_mucha
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                              Here is something I have been thinking about.

                              if we were to use the exact same lenght, so that it would hold say, a 1/8" bit at exactly teh same hieght, we did not alter anything.

                              we were were to make the spindle an inch shorter, we wold gain more clearance, but lose a bit on the depth.

                              something of a trade-off.

                              also, the ER-16 nut is larger in dia than the stock spindle.

                              The ER-11 would be smaller and hold 6mm and 1/4" end mills.

                              Dave

                              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "db" <dbueckers000@...> wrote:

                              > every bit I use has is 1/8 dia.
                              >
                              > Farmer Dave

                            • dave_mucha
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 3, 2010
                                I just uploaded a simple sketch of the ER-11 and ER-16 ends on the spindle.

                                Files section, and under collets

                                the ER-11 is much smaller
                                the ER-16 nut is larger than the spindle shaft we have now.

                                The difference to us is that the ER11 collets are smaller, the nut is smaller and that may give us a bit more work envelope ?

                                The ER-16 nut is larger, that might cut down on work envelope.
                                the ER16 offers the potentil of using an extension for smaller collets
                                in that case, a shorter spindle would be a benefit, allowing a larger work envelope for larger stuff, but would have the Z axis arm contact work if one were to try to move too low. that would require the extension to get to were we are now. (but offer more reach with the extension.)

                                Dave
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 3, 2010
                                  My vote is for ER-16.
                                  There are several times when I'd wish I could use a tool >6mm...

                                  Any ETA on getting some made?

                                  Cheers,
                                  Dan

                                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                                  > I just uploaded a simple sketch of the ER-11 and ER-16 ends on the spindle.
                                  >

                                  > Files section, and under collets
                                  >
                                  > the ER-11 is much smaller
                                  > the ER-16 nut is larger than the spindle shaft we have now.
                                  >
                                  > The difference to us is that the ER11 collets are smaller, the nut is smaller and that may give us a bit more work envelope ?
                                  >
                                  > The ER-16 nut is larger, that might cut down on work envelope.
                                  > the ER16 offers the potentil of using an extension for smaller collets
                                  > in that case, a shorter spindle would be a benefit, allowing a larger work envelope for larger stuff, but would have the Z axis arm contact work if one were to try to move too low. that would require the extension to get to were we are now. (but offer more reach with the extension.)
                                  >
                                  > Dave

                                • tecfacet
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                                    Is there any update on a quote for this spindle?

                                    Thanks,

                                    Roger