PNC 3000

  • nekpopj
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
      Can anyone help me with the value of a PNC 3000 in real good shape?
      I'm tring to help out Roger with mine but I don't know how to price it.

      John
    • db
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
        set of collets with machine?

        My guess is $2500 -  $3000  USD  for machine with collets set.

        Farmer Dave

        Can anyone help me with the value of a PNC 3000 in real good shape?
        I'm tring to help out Roger with mine but I don't know how to price it.

        John

      • tecfacet
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
          Ha Ha Ha ....

          My guess is $2500 -  $3000  USD  for machine with collets set.

          Farmer Dave

          Can anyone help me with the value of a PNC 3000 in real good shape?
          I'm tring to help out Roger with mine but I don't know how to price it.

          John

        • cyberzl1
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
            Wow!  What to buy mine?

            JW

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
              I agree... for that price.. there would be SO SO many machines for sale  :-D

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
                so that s to much then,  what's a lowest price?   Without collets, machine is worthless.
                I'm  looking for another replacement 1/8 collet.  Probly going to have to offer $200 and still cant find them.

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "db" <dbueckers000@...> wrote:

                  > set of collets with machine?
                  >
                  > My guess is $2500 - $3000 USD for machine with collets set.
                  >
                  > Farmer Dave

                  I do have collets, but that's sounds like a lot of money.

                  John,

                  > Can anyone help me with the value of a PNC 3000 in real good shape?
                  > I'm tring to help out Roger with mine but I don't know how to price it.
                  >
                  > John

                • db
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
                    none on Ebay,  where else are you going to find one?

                    Machine will pay for itself.   Seems like over kill for a high school project

                    > My guess is $2500 - $3000 USD for machine with collets
                    set.

                    > Farmer Dave

                    I do have collets, but that's sounds like a lot of money.

                    John,

                    > Can anyone help me
                    with the value of a PNC 3000 in real good shape?
                    > I'm tring to help out
                    Roger with mine but I don't know how to price it.

                    John

                  • dave_mucha
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 28, 2010
                      If you cannot find collets, make them.

                      I made one for my machine. it was not hardended and ground like I would prefer.

                      For some $$$ you can have the spindle turned so it will hold an ER collet. I would get the set to you can use 3/8" shank end-mills. I think they are the lowest cost of commonly available end mills.

                      Dave

                      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "db" <dbueckers000@...> wrote:

                      > so that s to much then, what's a lowest price? Without collets, machine is worthless.
                      > I'm looking for another replacement 1/8 collet. Probly going to have to offer $200 and still cant find them.

                    • dave_mucha
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
                        I think for about $200, you can have someone remove the spindle, add the ER collet holder, and put it back together. for another $50 you can get a decent set of ER collets.

                        it would open the window of work area if done with some thought.

                        Dave

                        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                        > If you cannot find collets, make them.
                        >
                        > I made one for my machine. it was not hardended and ground like I would prefer.
                        >
                        > For some $$$ you can have the spindle turned so it will hold an ER collet. I would get the set to you can use 3/8" shank end-mills. I think they are the lowest cost of commonly available end mills.
                        >
                        > Dave
                        >

                        > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "db" <dbueckers000@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > so that s to much then, what's a lowest price? Without collets, machine is worthless.
                        > > I'm looking for another replacement 1/8 collet. Probly going to have to offer $200 and still cant find them.

                      • dave_mucha
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
                          Here is a thought.....
                          how many of you would want to just buy a whole new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?

                          I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".

                          I would work up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.

                          Dave

                          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                          > I think for about $200, you can have someone remove the spindle, add the ER collet holder, and put it back together. for another $50 you can get a decent set of ER collets.
                          >
                          > it would open the window of work area if done with some thought.
                          >
                          > Dave
                          >

                          > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > If you cannot find collets, make them.
                          > >
                          > > I made one for my machine. it was not hardended and ground like I would prefer.
                          > >
                          > > For some $$$ you can have the spindle turned so it will hold an ER collet. I would get the set to you can use 3/8" shank end-mills. I think they are the lowest cost of commonly available end mills.
                          > >
                          > > Dave
                          > >

                          > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "db" <dbueckers000@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > so that s to much then, what's a lowest price? Without collets, machine is worthless.
                          > > > I'm looking for another replacement 1/8 collet. Probly going to have to offer $200 and still cant find them.

                        • tecfacet
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
                            I would be interested possibly.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
                              I'd be very much up for an ER spindle.
                              I would want to source metric collets for it though ;-)

                              Regards,
                              Dan

                              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, tecfacet <tecfacet@...> wrote:

                              > I would be interested possibly.

                            • Randy
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 29, 2010
                                Hi Dave,

                                I'd be interested but it would depend on cost - any rough idea on what prices might be like?

                                Thanks,

                                Randall

                                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                                > Here is a thought.....
                                > how many of you would want to just buy a whole new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?
                                >
                                > I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".
                                >
                                > I would work up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.
                                >
                                > Dave
                              • dave_mucha
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                                  I will work up some blueprints this week. And send it to my local shop for prices.

                                  If we can get 6-10 I think the cost would be decent. the work is not that hard for this sort of thing.

                                  Anyone know the sizes of the bearings ? the bearing numbers ?

                                  Dave

                                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <rlogan@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Dave,
                                  >
                                  > I'd be interested but it would depend on cost - any rough idea on what prices might be like?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Randall
                                  >
                                  > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Here is a thought.....
                                  > > how many of you would want to just buy a whole new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?
                                  > >
                                  > > I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".
                                  > >
                                  > > I would work up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.
                                  > >
                                  > > Dave

                                • Steel Wings
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010

                                     I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were:  NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z  (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?

                                    Thanks,
                                    Sal

                                    Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:48 AM

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                                      While we are on the topic of "general driving" for these PNC-3000's: does anyone have a good supplier of drive belts?
                                      I REALLY need a new one. After the stock one snapped, my make-shift replacement isn't doing too good.

                                      Name your price; I'll bite your hand off for at least one, hopefully a few.

                                      Cheers,
                                      Dan

                                      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

                                      > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Sal

                                    • tecfacet
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                                        I would really like to locate the service manual for the pnc-3000.

                                        What ever happened to the guy who had some motor driver chips for sale?

                                        Roger

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 30, 2010
                                          We have now have a full copy of the service manual in our files section. Thanks to the uploader.

                                          Dan

                                          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, tecfacet <tecfacet@...> wrote:

                                          > I would really like to locate the service manual for the pnc-3000.
                                          >
                                          > What ever happened to the guy who had some motor driver chips for sale?
                                          >
                                          > Roger

                                        • dave_mucha
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 1, 2010
                                            check the files section. there is a decent set of references there.

                                            Dave

                                            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, tecfacet <tecfacet@...> wrote:

                                            > I would really like to locate the service manual for the pnc-3000.
                                            >
                                            > What ever happened to the guy who had some motor driver chips for sale?
                                            >
                                            > Roger

                                          • dave_mucha
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                                              As I understand, for the bearings, P5 is desired. that seems to be some sort of grading or accuracy.

                                              It looks like the ER-16 set has a nut with a dia of 2mm (1.1") OD

                                              how many of you have the spindle go down into a hole, or close to a wall, so that the outside diameter is important ?

                                              The ER-16 seems to be a very common size and the collets are very readily available.

                                              we we went to a smaller dia range, say, to 1/4" or 6mm, the nut would be even smaller.

                                              Dave

                                              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

                                              > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Sal

                                            • tecfacet
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                                                I would be happy with er-16.

                                                As I understand, for the bearings, P5 is desired. that seems to be some sort of grading or accuracy.

                                                It looks like the ER-16 set has a nut with a dia of 2mm (1.1") OD

                                                how many of you have the spindle go down into a hole, or close to a wall, so that the outside diameter is important ?

                                                The ER-16 seems to be a very common size and the collets are very readily available.

                                                we we went to a smaller dia range, say, to 1/4" or 6mm, the nut would be even smaller.

                                                Dave

                                                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Steel Wings" <steelwings@...> wrote:

                                                > I just replaced a set of spindle bearings. The numbers were: NSK # 6003Z & NSK #6002Z (Upper and Lower) I would also be interested in the new collet setup as well. Lastly, Has anyone found a good source for spindle motor brushes yet?
                                                >
                                                > Thanks,
                                                > Sal

                                              • db
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                                                  every bit I use has is 1/8 dia.

                                                  Farmer Dave

                                                  Sent: Friday, July 02, 2010 4:01 AM

                                                  Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:48 AM
                                                  href="mailto:CAMM-3%40yahoogroups.com">CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com

                                                  href="mailto:CAMM-3%40yahoogroups.com">CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:

                                                  > > > Here is a
                                                  thought.....
                                                  > > > how many of you would want to just buy a whole
                                                  new spindle, complete with ER collet end ?

                                                  I think ER-16 goes up to 3/8".

                                                  > > > I would work
                                                  up the blueprints and send out the request for a hardened and gound shaft so the collet was concentric. getting a few might bring the price into a reasonable range.

                                                  > > > Dave

                                                • dave_mucha
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 2, 2010
                                                    Here is something I have been thinking about.

                                                    if we were to use the exact same lenght, so that it would hold say, a 1/8" bit at exactly teh same hieght, we did not alter anything.

                                                    we were were to make the spindle an inch shorter, we wold gain more clearance, but lose a bit on the depth.

                                                    something of a trade-off.

                                                    also, the ER-16 nut is larger in dia than the stock spindle.

                                                    The ER-11 would be smaller and hold 6mm and 1/4" end mills.

                                                    Dave

                                                    --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "db" <dbueckers000@...> wrote:

                                                    > every bit I use has is 1/8 dia.
                                                    >
                                                    > Farmer Dave

                                                  • dave_mucha
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 3, 2010
                                                      I just uploaded a simple sketch of the ER-11 and ER-16 ends on the spindle.

                                                      Files section, and under collets

                                                      the ER-11 is much smaller
                                                      the ER-16 nut is larger than the spindle shaft we have now.

                                                      The difference to us is that the ER11 collets are smaller, the nut is smaller and that may give us a bit more work envelope ?

                                                      The ER-16 nut is larger, that might cut down on work envelope.
                                                      the ER16 offers the potentil of using an extension for smaller collets
                                                      in that case, a shorter spindle would be a benefit, allowing a larger work envelope for larger stuff, but would have the Z axis arm contact work if one were to try to move too low. that would require the extension to get to were we are now. (but offer more reach with the extension.)

                                                      Dave
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 3, 2010
                                                        My vote is for ER-16.
                                                        There are several times when I'd wish I could use a tool >6mm...

                                                        Any ETA on getting some made?

                                                        Cheers,
                                                        Dan

                                                        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dave_mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

                                                        > I just uploaded a simple sketch of the ER-11 and ER-16 ends on the spindle.
                                                        >

                                                        > Files section, and under collets
                                                        >
                                                        > the ER-11 is much smaller
                                                        > the ER-16 nut is larger than the spindle shaft we have now.
                                                        >
                                                        > The difference to us is that the ER11 collets are smaller, the nut is smaller and that may give us a bit more work envelope ?
                                                        >
                                                        > The ER-16 nut is larger, that might cut down on work envelope.
                                                        > the ER16 offers the potentil of using an extension for smaller collets
                                                        > in that case, a shorter spindle would be a benefit, allowing a larger work envelope for larger stuff, but would have the Z axis arm contact work if one were to try to move too low. that would require the extension to get to were we are now. (but offer more reach with the extension.)
                                                        >
                                                        > Dave

                                                      • tecfacet
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 20, 2010
                                                          Is there any update on a quote for this spindle?

                                                          Thanks,

                                                          Roger