Help, Feed rate is too slow

  • dillonkd
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 23, 2009
      I am new to using this machine, i found it in the storage room of my school and decided to try and get it working. When i cut a part using the engraving software it took me and hour to cut "O'BLENESS". the text was 2" high X 7" length. I had the feed rate set at 22mm/sec but it look as though it was running at 2mm/sec. I havent looked at the inners could this possibly be a maintence issue.

      Thanks,
      Keith
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 23, 2009
        Is the text mainly curved?
        Or does it have straight lines? i.e. did you use a 'calligraphy style' font?
        The reason is that the PNC-3000 DOES NOT keep up with the feed rate when it cuts a curve. The only reason I can think of for this is processing power; the machine reads thousands more lines of code for each point on the curve, can't process them fast enough and thus slows down.
        When it is going in a straight line from A to B say, it will run at the correct feed rate.

        I know for a fact the PNC-3100 maintains the feed rate on curves, however the resolution decreases somewhat. e.g. the machine would produce a visibly stepped cut, rather than a smooth curve when cutting a circle say at a high feed rate.

        The only other thing I can possible think of (assuming the machine is in good mechanical order) is the DIP switch settings on the side of the machine. Look up the manual in the files section. 1 switch specifically sets a 'slow mode'. However I'm unsure if this is just for the z-axis or all three (x,y,z). It's worth a look...

        Keep us posted on how you get on,

        Cheers,
        Dan

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dillonkd" <kd650906@...> wrote:

        > I am new to using this machine, i found it in the storage room of my school and decided to try and get it working. When i cut a part using the engraving software it took me and hour to cut "O'BLENESS". the text was 2" high X 7" length. I had the feed rate set at 22mm/sec but it look as though it was running at 2mm/sec. I havent looked at the inners could this possibly be a maintence issue.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Keith

      • cadcamcreations
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2009
          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@...> wrote:

          > Is the text mainly curved?
          > Or does it have straight lines? i.e. did you use a 'calligraphy style' font?
          > The reason is that the PNC-3000 DOES NOT keep up with the feed rate when it cuts a curve. The only reason I can think of for this is processing power; the machine reads thousands more lines of code for each point on the curve, can't process them fast enough and thus slows down.
          > When it is going in a straight line from A to B say, it will run at the correct feed rate.
          >
          > I know for a fact the PNC-3100 maintains the feed rate on curves, however the resolution decreases somewhat. e.g. the machine would produce a visibly stepped cut, rather than a smooth curve when cutting a circle say at a high feed rate.
          >
          > The only other thing I can possible think of (assuming the machine is in good mechanical order) is the DIP switch settings on the side of the machine. Look up the manual in the files section. 1 switch specifically sets a 'slow mode'. However I'm unsure if this is just for the z-axis or all three (x,y,z). It's worth a look...
          >
          > Keep us posted on how you get on,
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Dan
          >
          > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "dillonkd" <kd650906@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am new to using this machine, i found it in the storage room of my school and decided to try and get it working. When i cut a part using the engraving software it took me and hour to cut "O'BLENESS". the text was 2" high X 7" length. I had the feed rate set at 22mm/sec but it look as though it was running at 2mm/sec. I havent looked at the inners could this possibly be a maintence issue.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Keith

          The thing to do here is to make sure that the start of the contour that you pick for machining is a straight line and then it will run round the curves at the higher speeds [with no loss of resolution ]
          If it starts on a pure curve it will default to the slow speed.
          Also Daniel mentions is the curve a series of facets? This can happen if you create a DXF file to import your text into the machining program and then all complex curves [ sometimes!] are converted into a series of millions of little short lines, thus running very slow.

          Thanks

          Graham