Re: collet

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hiya,

      I had some problems with my spindle too. First of all, I cracked the collet when I was
      tightening it. I looked everywhere for spares, and even looked at buying a whole new
      spindle. But, there were actually non available anywhere. So I got some collet steel and me
      and my tech teacher at school made a replacement....eventually. In the end we got it down
      to ±0.05mm, which is good enough. Also, the bearings sounded like they were on the way
      out, so we pressed out the spindled and I swapped them out with some replacements.

      Anyway... I know that's not much help to you, but if you have any questions about what's
      inside the spindle, I'll try my best to help. (Bearing in mind mine's a PNC-3000, not a
      PNC-2500, so they might not be exact) The spindle and collet i've got is one that you have
      to use two spanners and twsit in opposite directions to tighten. It's totally different from
      the big gold nut on the PNC-3100 collet.

      Dan :-)

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@...> wrote:

      > Hi Charlie,
      >
      > I hope your parts turn up in a box somewhere.
      >
      > The replacement parts can be pretty expensive.
      >
      > I toyed with the idea of removing the spindle and having a local
      > machine shop put an ER thread on the end of the unit so I can use ER
      > collets. I stumbled when it was going to cost $250.00 for the work,
      > plus another $100 for the collets.
      >
      > There is a supplier in China or Japan that lists all the parts and
      > part numbers. IIRC, one stock CAMM-3 collet was about $50.00 plus
      > shipping.
      >
      > Hope this is of any help.
      >
      > Dave
      >

      > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "charlie_camm3" <charlesho@> wrote:
      > >
      > > hi,
      > >
      > > my old camm3 pnc2500 still working, but the collet and spindle was
      > > lost during a house moving. can any one has a suggestion?
      > > Some of you even mentioned about ED16 and ER16. What do I need to buy
      > > and where to buy?
      > > I have the original manual and camm3 GL specification if anyone need
      > > it.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Charlie.

    • Dave Mucha
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2007
        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@...> wrote:

        > Hiya,
        >
        > I had some problems with my spindle too. First of all, I cracked the
        collet when I was
        > tightening it. I looked everywhere for spares, and even looked at
        buying a whole new
        > spindle. But, there were actually non available anywhere.

        I thought we had the URL for the Japan site. they have all the part
        numbers, not sure if they have them in stock though.

        If you are serious about up-grading yoru spindle, I would recomend you
        considder taking it out and to a machine shop and have them put an ER
        collet into the unit. Or, make a whole new spindle with an ER collet
        in it.

        The reasoning is that there is pleanty of metal to use for the collet,
        it would not weaken the machine.

        The ER collets are not expensive, and you can open them up to over 3/8
        inch, so tooling becomes MUCH easier and MUCH cheaper to find.

        I don't think it would cost more than about $250 to have it done.
        Compare that to a new collet for $85 for one size. 3 collets and you
        spent more on collets and have less tooling options.

        ER collets are about $12 each, so they are no biggie. But, you get
        both 3/8 and 1/4 tooling shanks available to you.

        If the market was larger, I'd considder having mine done and then
        having my local machine shop offer a fixed price.

        > Also, the bearings sounded like they were on
        > the way out, so we pressed out the spindled
        > and I swapped them out with some replacements.

        Do you have any idea of the size or quality of the bearings ? If I
        have a new collet put in my unit, I would probably replace the
        bearings as well.

        Dave