Re: Help needed

  • Dave Mucha
    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2009
      It sound like you have a bit of coordinatin to do.

      the side to side is your X axis, the front to back is the Y and the down is the Z.

      sheetcam has to have these set, and in the right way. sometimes you get a mirror if one is not set right.

      as for your earlier post, you said it went around the trace only one time then stopped. that would make sense for a single line drawing.

      in sheetcam, have it take one cut and then a second cut. the first would be away from the final line by, say, 0.01". the tool would then pierce, do the line, move closer to the finished size, then redo the line.

      as a note, make all your test files less than 1" in any direction. that way, the machine will not go off and crash.

      another comment is to use a marker inside a tube. the tube would have a spring in it. you can draw your lines instead of cutting them.

      Dave

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "rowifi" <alphamode@...> wrote:

      > Hi Dave
      >
      > To be honest, I'm probably tryign things too fast, but in doing so I am hoping to see 'some sense' from the machine.
      > The profile I made had one path, literally I made it the same with as the tool.. so it was a simple one pass sweeping motion but I dont recall what I did with the depth. A straight line - then a curve then an angled line then another straight line.
      >
      > The machine didnt do anything vaguely like what I expected as I wrote initially - it did one line - in the wrong axis - then stopped.
      > Sheetcam gave a clear representation of the path and output to a file.
      >
      > What simulator would accept and show the resulting output?
      >
      > I assumed Virtual Modela would work - but no, it imports the prn file I make, then gives me a black blank sheet.
      >
      > I will try the STL approach as sucggested - but I'm trying to simply remove material by making a cut ( saw off the end of a piece of skrting board )so I'm unsure what to model - ( the piece that I want to keep perhaps? )
      >
      > Thanks all
      >
      > Rob
      >

      > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "rowifi" <alphamode@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm still trying to get some sense out of this set up - any help really appreciated.
      > > > I've made a very simple profile - for a skirting board.
      > > >
      > > > Output to dxf and tried various means to get it to the machine.
      > > >
      > > > 1) Roland Modela Player:-
      > > > Simply accepts the file as an import, but then shows nothing. The bottom message bar states 'Load Data'
      > > >
      > > > 2)Sheetcam - with apprpriate post processor.
      > > > Imports the dxf ok - and accepts it to make a pocket cut.
      > > > Generates code ok.
      > >
      > > this is where I seem to find the stop. your DXF would only have one tool path, once.
      > >
      > > SheetCAM would have to create the multiple cuts and depth feeds and such.
      > >
      > > the output of SheetCAM should be able to be visualized on one of the tool path simulators, no ?
      > >
      > > Dave

    • jerry poole
      Message 2 of 15 , May 27, 2009
        does anyone know how i am getting this kind of code ...

        N100 V 22
        N110
        F 22
        N120
        Z -1 0 0
        N130
        N140
        Z -1 0 0
        N150
        N160 V 6
        N170
        F 6
        N180
        Z -1 0 0
        N190
        @ 0 0
        N200
        C 1 -1 2 130 84
        N210
        @ 0 0
        N220
        C 0 2 2 324 250
        N230
        N240
        Z -1 0 0
        N250
        N260 V 22
        N270
        F 22
        N280
        Z -1 0 0
        N290
        !

        To be honest, I'm probably tryign things too fast, but in doing so I am hoping to see 'some sense' from the machine.
        The profile I made had one path, literally I made it the same with as the tool.. so it was a simple one pass sweeping motion but I dont recall what I did with the depth. A straight line - then a curve then an angled line then another straight line.

        The machine didnt do anything vaguely like what I expected as I wrote initially - it did one line - in the wrong axis - then stopped.
        Sheetcam gave a clear representation of the path and output to a file.

        What simulator would accept and show the resulting output?

        I assumed Virtual Modela would work - but no, it imports the prn file I make, then gives me a black blank sheet.

        I will try the STL approach as sucggested - but I'm trying to simply remove material by making a cut ( saw off the end of a piece of skrting board )so I'm unsure what to model - ( the piece that I want to keep perhaps? )

        Thanks all

        Rob

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups. com, "Dave Mucha" <dave_mucha@ ...> wrote:

        > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups. com, "rowifi" <alphamode@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm still trying to get some sense out of this set up - any help really appreciated.
        > > I've made a very simple profile - for a skirting board.
        > >
        > > Output to dxf and tried various means to get it to the machine.
        > >
        > > 1) Roland Modela Player:-
        > > Simply accepts the file as an import, but then shows nothing. The bottom message bar states 'Load Data'
        > >
        > > 2)Sheetcam - with apprpriate post processor.
        > > Imports the dxf ok - and accepts it to make a pocket cut.
        > > Generates code ok.
        >
        > this is where I seem to find the stop. your DXF would only have one tool path, once.
        >
        > SheetCAM would have to create the multiple cuts and depth feeds and such.
        >
        > the output of SheetCAM should be able to be visualized on one of the tool path simulators, no ?
        >
        > Dave

      • Randall
        Message 3 of 15 , May 27, 2009
          This does not look like functional CAMM-GL code. All of the characters and symbols appear to be legit' CAMM-GL code but the numerical values seem to be well out of range for the 'N' command.

          Can you give us a hint as to how you created this command list?

          Randall

          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, jerry poole <jerry_poole11665@...> wrote:

          > does anyone know how i am getting this kind of code ...

          > N100 V 22
          > N110 F 22
          > N120 Z -1 0 0
          > N130
          > N140 Z -1 0 0
          > N150
          > N160 V 6
          > N170 F 6
          > N180 Z -1 0 0
          > N190
          > @ 0 0
          > N200 C 1 -1 2 130 84
          > N210
          > @ 0 0
          > N220 C 0 2 2 324 250
          > N230
          > N240 Z -1 0 0
          > N250
          > N260 V 22
          > N270 F 22
          > N280 Z -1 0 0
          > N290
          > !

        • jerry poole
          Message 4 of 15 , May 27, 2009
            i used mastercam with a rolland camm 3 post

            This does not look like functional CAMM-GL code. All of the characters and symbols appear to be legit' CAMM-GL code but the numerical values seem to be well out of range for the 'N' command.

            Can you give us a hint as to how you created this command list?

            Randall

            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups. com, jerry poole <jerry_poole11665@ ...> wrote:

            > does anyone know how i am getting this kind of code ...

            > N100 V 22
            > N110 F 22
            > N120 Z -1 0 0
            > N130
            > N140 Z -1 0 0
            > N150
            > N160 V 6
            > N170 F 6
            > N180 Z -1 0 0
            > N190
            > @ 0 0
            > N200 C 1 -1 2 130 84
            > N210
            > @ 0 0
            > N220 C 0 2 2 324 250
            > N230
            > N240 Z -1 0 0
            > N250
            > N260 V 22
            > N270 F 22
            > N280 Z -1 0 0
            > N290
            > !

          • Dave Mucha
            Message 5 of 15 , May 28, 2009
              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, jerry poole <jerry_poole11665@...> wrote:

              > i used mastercam with a rolland camm 3 post

              I have nout looked at the files for the CAMM3 to see what characters they contain.

              I handwrite much of my other code for my mini-mill.

              Does anyone have a snip of code from SheetCAM for this machine ?

              Say, a box, 1" square ?

              Dave
            • cyberzl1
              Message 6 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                Does anyone know what stepper motors are used in these?

                I haven't pulled mine apart yet to look.

                I'm thinking about bypassing all of the controls and using aftermarket stepper drivers and Mach3 to retrofit my machine.  Why?  Because I have some high end stepper drives available, and Mach3 will give me more functionality (more easily) than the Roland interface.

                If I do so, is anyone interested in my old electronics?  Probably the whole package of boards (probably minus the spindle motor controller).

                JW

                Message 7 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                  Do you have a spare drive belt? I take as many as you've got. Not sure how long my constructed one will last.
                  If no one needs the electronics desperately, I'll buy them as spares depending on price.

                  Dan

                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, cyberzl1 <cyberzl1@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone know what stepper motors are used in these?
                  >
                  > I haven't pulled mine apart yet to look.
                  >
                  > I'm thinking about bypassing all of the controls and using aftermarket stepper drivers and Mach3 to retrofit my machine.  Why?  Because I have some high end stepper drives available, and Mach3 will give me more functionality (more easily) than the Roland interface.
                  >
                  > If I do so, is anyone interested in my old electronics?  Probably the whole package of boards (probably minus the spindle motor controller).
                  >
                  > JW

                • Brett Gober
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                    Dan, I replaced my pulleys so I wouldn't have to worry about my belt. I did lose the speed control though.

                    Do you have a spare drive belt? I take as many as you've got. Not sure how long my constructed one will last.
                    If no one needs the electronics desperately, I'll buy them as spares depending on price.

                    Dan

                    --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups. com, cyberzl1 <cyberzl1@.. .> wrote:

                    > Does anyone know what stepper motors are used in these?
                    >
                    > I haven't pulled mine apart yet to look.
                    >
                    > I'm thinking about bypassing all of the controls and using aftermarket stepper drivers and Mach3 to retrofit my machine. Why? Because I have some high end stepper drives available, and Mach3 will give me more functionality (more easily) than the Roland interface.
                    >
                    > If I do so, is anyone interested in my old electronics? Probably the whole package of boards (probably minus the spindle motor controller).
                    >
                    > JW

                  • Brett Gober
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                      Here's what I got to replace my x and y drives:

                      http://catalog.orientalmotor.com/item/all-categories/pk-series-stepping-motors/pk268m-02b?&plpver=11&origin=keyword&by=prod&filter=0

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                        I was so tempted to make some new pulleys as well. I phoned practically every belt company in the UK!
                        I ended up making my own belt by splicing some reinforced o-rings. Not elegant, but can keep up with the torque. (Did quite a few med/heavy ally jobs last time I had it fired up)

                        Did you loose the quadrature encoder on the bottom of the near pulley? You could always redraw it? Or did you have to loose the IR sense board as well?

                        Thanks,
                        Dan

                        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, Brett Gober <bgober1@...> wrote:

                        > Dan, I replaced my pulleys so I wouldn't have to worry about my belt. I did lose the speed control though.

                      • bgober1
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 28, 2009
                          I went with a smaller pulley on the spindle to increase the speed a little.