Re: Controller unit help

  • Randall
    Message 1 of 8 , May 14, 2009
      Hello AJ

      I would agree with Dan, you really do need the controller.

      I just took a look at the schematic for the PNC-3000 and found that building a controller box would be relatively simple. Most of the parts you need are readily available (And cheap!) some are not available at all (the chips that interface to the X/Y/Z Jog Wheels).

      My guess would be that the button you "need" most is the MANUAL control button that allows you to put the machine into a mode that will allow a remote computer to control the unit. Access to the Z0/Z1/Z2 buttons would also be nice but this would require a bit of finicky work in replacing the jog switches (which is very possible but a bit more time consuming to figure out).

      Essentially the control panel is made up of 22 buttons, 3 Jog wheels+decoders and 4 x $0.40 shift registers, also 6 LEDs and another shift register for the LEDs. If you're handy with a soldering iron (or can do wire wrap) you should be able to have something up and running in a few hours.

      The states of the 22 buttons are converted into a serial data stream by the shift registers and clocked out the curly interface cable. If I were to make a new controller, I would purchase a nice enclosure for the new electronics and set it next to the machine. Of course if you are really ambitious, you could make a stylish enclosure to mount on the front of the machine were the original controller did (Hey, I would, PNC-3000's are great!!)

      Now if you wanted to include the Jog switches, this would require the
      substitution of the MSM5210 decoder chips (3 of them). This is not as
      complicated as it seems but would require some input/help from an electronics person (such as myself). There are many quadrature jog switches available for about $3 to $10 each (depending on the "feel" you desire)

      So total cost would be about $50 + a days work. Hope this inspires you to do the work. You could also try Brian at Cammtech (web address is in the Links section) Last time I spoke with him he had a PNC-3000 he was pulling parts from - maybe there's still a controller kicking around?

      Good luck, please keep us updated with your progress!

      Randall

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "david876474" <danielbriggs@...> wrote:

      > You do really need the controller, as you need to home the machine and turn it off manual as a minimum each time it's powered on.
      >
      > However all is not lost!
      >
      > If you look in the files section and the complete service manual, I think around page 10 there is a full blown schematic of the circuit in the controller. There are also PCB layouts further down, and even a parts list at the end!
      >
      > Now I'm not saying it's going to be easy by any means to make a new controller, but it sure it possible with that service manual ;-)
      >
      > All the best, hope that helps, and keep us all posted on your progress,
      >
      > Dan
      >

      > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "arjacobs2" <arjacobs2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi I have a camm-3 with no controller unit :( (the one with the curly cord) I've searched and searched for years and can't find one. I need a way to use this machine with out it, Is this possible?
      > >
      > > I would imagine in this day and age there must be a way to just use my computer as a virtual control, but i dont know the first thing about programming.
      > >
      > > I've heard that vcarve can control it- but not only is it out of my price range but i still have heard you need the control box!
      > >

      > > Is there anyway to control it purely with mach 3? that i do have, But i'd need the proper setup, that i also dont know the first thing about this machines servos etc to do it.
      > >
      > > Is anyone out there willing to help me, and give me advice for what i need to do. I figure there has got to be a a VB program that can be written.
      > >
      > > I know i'm not the only one out there with this situation. So please if you know how i can control it through my computer with out the controller attached please please help me :0)
      > >
      > > Thank you
      > >
      > > AJ

    • Randall
      Message 2 of 8 , May 14, 2009
        Hello again AJ,

        With respect to your missing control panel, I forgot to mention that making up a new control box with just one or two of the more important buttons is not possible. The machine expects a serial bit stream from the control panel and therefore all of the shift registers are required to get the control panel working properly. Sorry, no simple way of getting just one or two buttons working.

        Randall

        > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "arjacobs2" <arjacobs2@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi I have a camm-3 with no controller unit :( (the one with the curly cord) I've searched and searched for years and can't find one. I need a way to use this machine with out it, Is this possible?
        [snip]
      • jerry poole
        Message 3 of 8 , May 15, 2009
          AJ,
          I just by chance have a spare controller.
          I do not know if it is in good shape yet.
          I will try it out this afternoon and see and let you know if you are interested.
          jerry

          I would agree with Dan, you really do need the controller.

          I just took a look at the schematic for the PNC-3000 and found that building a controller box would be relatively simple. Most of the parts you need are readily available (And cheap!) some are not available at all (the chips that interface to the X/Y/Z Jog Wheels).

          My guess would be that the switch you "need" most is the MANUAL control switch that allows you you put the machine into a mode that will allow a remote computer to control the unit. Access to the Z0/Z1/Z2 buttons would also be nice but this would require a bit of finicky in replacing the jog switches (which is very possible but a bit more time consuming to figure out).

          Essentially the control panel is made up of 22 buttons, 3 Jog wheels+decoders and 4 x $0.40 shift registers, also 6 LEDs and another shift register for the LEDs. If you handy with a soldering iron (or can do wire wrap) you should be able to have something up and running in a few hours.

          The states of the 22 buttons is converted into a serial data stream by the shift registers and clocked out the curly interface cable.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 19, 2009
            I have a spare controller for the camm-3.
            It works fine, no troubles in the testing found.
            let me know if you still need it

> [...]

            > However all is not lost!
            >
            > If you look in the files section and the complete service manual, I think around page 10 there is a full blown schematic of the circuit in the controller. There are also PCB layouts further down, and even a parts list at the end!
            >
            > Now I'm not saying it's going to be easy by any means to make a new controller, but it sure it possible with that service manual ;-)
            >
            > All the best, hope that helps, and keep us all posted on your progress,
            >
            > Dan
            >

            > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups. com, "arjacobs2" <arjacobs2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi I have a camm-3 with no controller unit :( (the one with the curly cord) I've searched and searched for years and can't find one. I need a way to use this machine with out it, Is this possible?

          • A Jacobs
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2009
              Jerry,

              Yes! if you have one i would definitely like it, how much are you looking for ?  sorry for the late reply I have been using my new toy (blackberry) for email and have neglected to check my yahoo mail, I am very interested you can reach me here or at    arjacobs2@...         (blackbrry)

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009
                Jerry,

                Yes! if you have one i would definitely like it, how much are you looking for ?  sorry for the late reply I have been using my new toy (blackberry) for email and have neglected to check my yahoo mail, I am very interested you can reach me here or at    arjacobs2@gmail. com         (blackbrry)

                Thank you!
                AJ