Acquired PNC-3000, is this a fault?

  • rowifi
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2009
      Hi all - Found this useful group as I've just acquired one of these machines..

      I thought it was duff because after power up all I could do was jog the positions. No response from the Manual button , no response from the Motor button - pretty useless.

      So I took the control panel apart - tried it again ( open up ) and all worked as expected - put it back together - then it didn't again.
      Then - unplugging and replugging the panel while machine was still on - seemed to set it back working again.

      I can't see how its an physical intermittant because it all looked fine internally - it seemed more like a 'power up issue'.

      I just wondered if anybody else has had or seen these symptoms.

      Now I'm looking out for the best way to use it to do simple 2D machining of plastics ( maybe brass / aluminium ??? )

      I use solid-edge for my 3d work and can output most formats. Any recomendations appreciated as I'm trying to avoid the trial and error route.

      I'm guessing it was worth the £50 I owe for it if I'm going to keep it??

      Rob
    • Kim Galibert
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2009
        i have a pnc3100, so i can't be too much help with the weird cpanel problem.

        but i wanted to mention that deskproto works great with my machine, and has a free trial, might work well for you too.

        kim

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2009
          Thanks, I'll download the trial.
          I've downloaded the trial of Ventric also, but before I play, I have some maybe simple questions.

          I will be using my laptop to control it ( Windows XP ) I guess I can use it serial or parallel - I note there is a Windows Driver available but I couldn't see it in the files. Is it needed? If so where do I get it from?

          Ventric Cut2D created a CNC file - but I failed to spot the part which would 'send it to the PNC-3000' Or do I need to output it to Modela and use Modela to control the machine?

          ( I've now noted the same thing with Deskproto )

          So I assume I HAVE to use MODELA???

          Thanks
          Rob
        • pejohnson@talk21.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2009
            Ive been using Deskproto in the school I work at for some time.  I output on Parallel, I cant remember off the top of my head but once you have set up the cutter library, and set the machine to be the PNC 3000, once you have saved the file of codes (single or two sidded) you go to one of the drop down menus (I think second from the right across the top) and there is a thing to send the file to the machine (you sellect the file and send it) it ISNT very obvious but it is there.

            One MAJOR issue I have with deskproto considering its price just as a post processor it can't machine verticle surfaces.  it will always taper them.

            I spent a long time messing about with deskproto and still havent sorted this issue out.  It does say in the instruction book about it too.  There is another issue you have to take into account.  Thats the x/y start point.  i will look when in work and get some screen dumps.  If you dont set it correctly it does some very odd things that have the potential to distroy cutters and materials!!

            If you are doing 2d work, engraving and such you could try techsoft 2d designtools  this has the drivers (they are a roland dealer, and do cutters etc too)  You can assign drawing colours to different tools, depths, and machine order.

            Pete

            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2009
              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "rowifi" <alphamode@...> wrote:

              > Hi all - Found this useful group as I've just acquired one of these machines..
              >
              > I thought it was duff because after power up all I could do was jog the positions. No response from the Manual button , no response from the Motor button - pretty useless.
              >
              > So I took the control panel apart - tried it again ( open up ) and all worked as expected - put it back together - then it didn't again.
              > Then - unplugging and replugging the panel while machine was still on - seemed to set it back working again.
              >
              > I can't see how its an physical intermittant because it all looked fine internally - it seemed more like a 'power up issue'.
              >
              > I just wondered if anybody else has had or seen these symptoms.
              >
              > Now I'm looking out for the best way to use it to do simple 2D machining of plastics ( maybe brass / aluminium ??? )
              >
              > I use solid-edge for my 3d work and can output most formats. Any recomendations appreciated as I'm trying to avoid the trial and error route.
              >
              > I'm guessing it was worth the £50 I owe for it if I'm going to keep it??
              >
              > Rob

              Hi Rob,
              Its worth checking the motor brushes on your machine, you need to take
              off the upper metal panel and disconnect the wiring joining clip
              [ dead easy ] on the motor there are two black plastic covers with a small crosshead screw securing the brushes, which are on long springs.
              Check the length of the carbon part if they are about 10mm long or less change them.
              Also and this applies to anyone with this machine check the fuses in the right side of the machine and inside the back and check they are the correct rating,
              if not and you machine something tough and the cutter is stopped or meets some resistance there is a small board in the machine which houses the manual motor contoller this will blow and need replacing and guess what I probably had the last spare about ten years ago!

              regards

              Graham