CAMM3 file format

  • cyberzl1
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2007
      Just stumbled across this group.

      I have a PNC3000 unit that works. I have fired it up and run some
      basic stuff using the ACAD driver.

      I am playing around with some 3d stuff and postprocessing, but trying
      to understand the CAMM3 format of NC files. It's not G-code and some
      have said it may be a variant of HPGL.

      Anyone have any input on this?

      thanks

      JW
    • jws
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
        J.W. Look for these pgms Vmodela, mdx3p, 3Ddesign, 3dtext. Programs from Roland. They are floating around on the web somewhere, maybe the files section of this group. I don't exactly remember where but they are out there. Hope this helps,

        J.W.S.
        I have a PNC3000 unit that works. I have fired it up and run some
        basic stuff using the ACAD driver.

        I am playing around with some 3d stuff and postprocessing, but trying
        to understand the CAMM3 format of NC files. It's not G-code and some
        have said it may be a variant of HPGL.

        Anyone have any input on this?

        thanks

        JW

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
          CAMM-3/files/

          The PNC-3000 uses the CAMM-GL1 language. This is specially written for Roland
          products, and over the years has been updated with more functions e.g. for use with 4th
          axis or automatic tool changers. e.g. the MDX-650 uses the CAMM-GL3 language. And I
          think the MDX-40 uses the CAMM-GL2 language.

          Dan :-)

          --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "cyberzl1" <cyberzl1@...> wrote:

          > Just stumbled across this group.
          >
          > I have a PNC3000 unit that works. I have fired it up and run some
          > basic stuff using the ACAD driver.
          >
          > I am playing around with some 3d stuff and postprocessing, but trying
          > to understand the CAMM3 format of NC files. It's not G-code and some
          > have said it may be a variant of HPGL.
          >
          > Anyone have any input on this?
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > JW

        • cyberzl1
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 10, 2007
            Thanks.

            I have copies of the software(Modela, etc).  But what I would really like is a synopsis of the codes for CAMM-GL1.

            Does anyone have a copy of the programming manual in PDF(or similar)?

            Another question:  Is it possible to update the firmware in a PNC-3000 to get some of the new functionality?

            JW

            david876474 <danielbriggs@...> wrote:
            The software is available in our files section here: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/
            CAMM-3/files/

            The PNC-3000 uses the CAMM-GL1 language. This is specially written for Roland
            products, and over the years has been updated with more functions e.g. for use with 4th
            axis or automatic tool changers. e.g. the MDX-650 uses the CAMM-GL3 language. And I
            think the MDX-40 uses the CAMM-GL2 language.

            Dan :-)

            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups. com, "cyberzl1" <cyberzl1@.. .> wrote:

            > Just stumbled across this group.
            >
            > I have a PNC3000 unit that works. I have fired it up and run some
            > basic stuff using the ACAD driver.
            >
            > I am playing around with some 3d stuff and postprocessing, but trying
            > to understand the CAMM3 format of NC files. It's not G-code and some
            > have said it may be a variant of HPGL.
            >
            > Anyone have any input on this?
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > JW

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • rsdanielrs
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
              --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, cyberzl1 <cyberzl1@...> wrote:

              > Thanks.
              >
              > I have copies of the software(Modela, etc). But what I would
              really like is a synopsis of the codes for CAMM-GL1.

              > Does anyone have a copy of the programming manual in PDF(or similar)?

              There is a user manual for a different product that has a summary of
              all the CAMM-GL I commands. (It took a while to figure out that its an
              i not a 1 or l.) There is also a list of Device Control Instructions
              (Escape commands) that should be approximately right. 90% are the same
              as a DXY-1100 plotter. So they should be closer for a modeling machine.

              <http://www.cs.uml.edu/~fredm/courses/91.548-spr03/files/egx-300users.pdf>

              A few definitions might by useful:

              Essentially, DXY-GL plus RD-GL I (Roland Digital Group's graphic
              language) is equivalent to HPGL (Hewlett-Packard graphic language) and
              to CAMM-GL I. This is a pen plotter command language and is not to be
              confused with HPGL/2, which is a raster plotter (read printer) command
              language.

              Unfortunately HPGL was never really standardized, unlike HPGL/2, so
              there can be differences.

              If you can find a command reference manual for a Roland *pen* plotter,
              "DXY-" followed by a model number. They are essentially equivalent.

              What the plotter manuals call "DXY-GL" commands are equivalent to
              CAMM-GL I mode 1 instructions, and what they call RD-GL I is
              equivalent to CAMM-GL I mode 2 instructions.

              I am at a large research center and hospital in Riyadh. One section of
              the hospital closed down and some of their equipment was stored in the
              basement.

              So one day I am wandering around in a store room and I found a
              pnc-3000 manual lying on the floor. I started searching...

              I found the machine, complete with all attachments and tools except
              for the Command reference manual, as well as a matching plotter, copy
              of Master CAM Mill with dongle and all manuals, and a graphics tablet.

              So what if it is Win 3.1, I'm old too.

              Dan Carroll
            • cadcamcreations
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2007
                --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "rsdanielrs" <Edward_Carroll@...>
                wrote:

                > --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, cyberzl1 <cyberzl1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > I have copies of the software(Modela, etc). But what I would
                > really like is a synopsis of the codes for CAMM-GL1.
                > >
                > > Does anyone have a copy of the programming manual in PDF(or
                similar)?

                > There is a user manual for a different product that has a summary of
                > all the CAMM-GL I commands. (It took a while to figure out that its
                an
                > i not a 1 or l.) There is also a list of Device Control Instructions
                > (Escape commands) that should be approximately right. 90% are the
                same
                > as a DXY-1100 plotter. So they should be closer for a modeling
                machine.

                > <http://www.cs.uml.edu/~fredm/courses/91.548-spr03/files/egx-
                300users.pdf>

                > A few definitions might by useful:
                >
                > Essentially, DXY-GL plus RD-GL I (Roland Digital Group's graphic
                > language) is equivalent to HPGL (Hewlett-Packard graphic language)
                and
                > to CAMM-GL I. This is a pen plotter command language and is not to
                be
                > confused with HPGL/2, which is a raster plotter (read printer)
                command
                > language.
                >
                > Unfortunately HPGL was never really standardized, unlike HPGL/2, so
                > there can be differences.
                >
                > If you can find a command reference manual for a Roland *pen*
                plotter,
                > "DXY-" followed by a model number. They are essentially equivalent.
                >
                > What the plotter manuals call "DXY-GL" commands are equivalent to
                > CAMM-GL I mode 1 instructions, and what they call RD-GL I is
                > equivalent to CAMM-GL I mode 2 instructions.
                >
                > I am at a large research center and hospital in Riyadh. One section
                of
                > the hospital closed down and some of their equipment was stored in
                the
                > basement.
                >
                > So one day I am wandering around in a store room and I found a
                > pnc-3000 manual lying on the floor. I started searching...
                >
                > I found the machine, complete with all attachments and tools except
                > for the Command reference manual, as well as a matching plotter,
                copy
                > of Master CAM Mill with dongle and all manuals, and a graphics
                tablet.

                > So what if it is Win 3.1, I'm old too.
                >
                > Dan Carroll

                Do you want some software to trial on this machine? I could upload it
                to you? It runs on windows and machines out 3D STL files or 2D DXF
                files or your own drawings in the software?
                It will run for three days but sometimes just keeps on working
                I use it every day.

                Graham
              • rsdanielrs
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 28, 2007
                  --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Do you want some software to trial on this machine? I could upload it
                  > to you? It runs on windows and machines out 3D STL files or 2D DXF
                  > files or your own drawings in the software?
                  > It will run for three days but sometimes just keeps on working
                  > I use it every day.
                  >
                  > Graham

                  A gracious thanks for the offer.

                  At the moment I am just trying to get everything running:
                  Manual moves ok.
                  Serial line works.
                  Simple moves via serial aren't quite what I expect.

                  I believe it is user error and have a bit of RTFM to do first.

                  I am not running Windows but eComStation, a decendent of OS/2. In the
                  way that Vista is a decendent of NT (and OS/2 by the way).

                  It can run all the Win 3.1 stuff in addition to native programs and
                  Linux ports. So I am playing with the 3.1 programs I have first. With
                  more difficulty it also runs much of the 32 bit Win stuff.

                  Why? It is consistent. I know it. It has no viruses.

                  That doesn't mean it is theoretically virus proof. Just not a target
                  big enough to bother shooting at. There are advantages to being a weed
                  in a monoculture when viruses are about.

                  If I get to the point where I need more sophisticated software I will
                  surely take you up on the offer.

                  Thanks again,

                  Dan Carroll