Re: Belt size ?

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 18, 2008
      I couldn't find a belt in the end. I was quoted £37.50 from one company, but when I went
      to order, they said that they had ran out of stock... as if!

      I ended up buying a large 5mm rubber O-Ring cutting it with a knife and making my own
      belt by gluing it. It took a while to get it right, and I had to adjust the position of the
      motor by sliding it back to tighten the slack. But the spindle is running very nice now.

      Take a screwdriver to the top of the Z-axis cover and inspect the state of the belt. I've got
      just about enough decent sized rubber left to make another one. So I could make you one
      if you want. It's a slightly bit thicker than the stock belt, but works quite well, not perfect.

      I'll takes some photos when I get home later.

      Dan :-)

      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Randall" <rlogan@...> wrote:

      > My PNC-3000 machine started to make strange belt noises so now I'm
      > paranoid about the belt snapping in the middle of a job. Did anyone
      > finally find a source for replacement belts?
      >
      > Thanks for any info.
      >
      > Randall

      > > > My belt is 4mm wide, 3mm thick and 413mm circumference V-Belt. But
      > > some may have
      > > > other sizes in their machine.
      > >
      > > I dropped 4mm Vee belt into Google and found this pdf.
      > >
      > > http://www.pantograph.co.uk/pdfs/bands.pdf
      > >
      > > May not help, or it may get you to someone who can give you an idea
      > > where to get them ?
      > >

      > [snip]
      >
      > > Dave

    • Randall
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2008
        > I couldn't find a belt in the end. I was quoted £37.50 from one
        company, but when I went
        > to order, they said that they had ran out of stock... as if!
        >
        > I ended up buying a large 5mm rubber O-Ring cutting it with a knife
        and making my own
        > belt by gluing it. It took a while to get it right, and I had to
        adjust the position of the
        > motor by sliding it back to tighten the slack. But the spindle is
        running very nice now.

        > Take a screwdriver to the top of the Z-axis cover and inspect the
        state of the belt. I've got
        > just about enough decent sized rubber left to make another one. So I
        could make you one
        > if you want. It's a slightly bit thicker than the stock belt, but
        works quite well, not perfect.

        > I'll takes some photos when I get home later.
        >

        > Dan :-)

        Thanks Dan,

        Thanks for the offer on the custom belt, I'll try to find a simpler
        solution for now - I'm sure this problem will come up again with other
        members in the group.

        The fact that you have made it work well with an O-ring gave me the
        idea to check with SDP (Stock Drive Products). They have quite a
        selection of neoprene belts with a circular cross section (like an
        O-ring). I wasn't certain that a belt with a circular cross section
        would work well with the CAMM3 pulleys but now I think I'll try to
        order some and give them a try. I'll let you know how it turns out.

        Randall