PNC-3000 Vacuum attachment design anyone?

  • Randall
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
      Hi group,

      Has anyone made a clever (practical will do) vacuum attachment for the
      PNC-3000 to suck off the cuttings (and sometimes just dust) while
      machining?

      I find myself holding a shopvac up to the workpiece more than I care
      to. It would be nice to have a better solution but rather than
      re-inventing the wheel I thought I would check here first. If no
      designs exist I will get started on one and post it to the group if
      anyone's interested.

      Thanks,

      Randall
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
        Ages ago I made a vacuum tube adapter to do the exact thing you wanted. However the
        tube I used was too small and not providing enough suction to make it useful. I never got
        around to replacing it with a larger diameter tubing. But again, I'll post some photos when
        I get back.

        I just tend to let it finish and then vacuum right at the end rather than all the way through.
        Have you used some coolant? that tends to clump the swartf together quite well, + you get
        a nice surface finish.

        Dan :-)

        --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "Randall" <rlogan@...> wrote:

        > Hi group,
        >
        > Has anyone made a clever (practical will do) vacuum attachment for the
        > PNC-3000 to suck off the cuttings (and sometimes just dust) while
        > machining?
        >
        > I find myself holding a shopvac up to the workpiece more than I care
        > to. It would be nice to have a better solution but rather than
        > re-inventing the wheel I thought I would check here first. If no
        > designs exist I will get started on one and post it to the group if
        > anyone's interested.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Randall

      • cadcamcreations
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18, 2008
          Hi Group

          There was a vacuum attachment available for this machine long ago
          and its design was a bit like a circular brush attachment for a vacuum
          cleaner pipe, It was basically a ring which clamped onto the main body
          of the collet spindle and the long bristles hung down so forming a
          curtain around the cutter.The important thing though that the bristles
          were free to move when the cutter went in any direction.
          The rigid part of the collar did not go any further down than the
          bottom end of the spindle so would not foul any surface to be cut.
          At one side of the collar was a horizontal pipe to attach to a pipe.
          If this is too confusing I could do you a CAD drawing.

          Kind Regards

          Graham
        • Randall
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2008
            --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "cadcamcreations" <cadcamcreations@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Group
            > > >
            > There was a vacuum attachment available for this machine long ago
            > and its design was a bit like a circular brush attachment for a vacuum
            > cleaner pipe, It was basically a ring which clamped onto the main body
            > of the collet spindle and the long bristles hung down so forming a
            > curtain around the cutter.The important thing though that the bristles
            > were free to move when the cutter went in any direction.
            > The rigid part of the collar did not go any further down than the
            > bottom end of the spindle so would not foul any surface to be cut.
            > At one side of the collar was a horizontal pipe to attach to a pipe.
            > If this is too confusing I could do you a CAD drawing.
            >
            > Kind Regards
            >
            > Graham

            Thanks Dan and Graham,

            I like the idea of the brush for a curtain Still provides access to
            the collet for easy tool changes; the bristles would probably help
            loosen some of the compacted dust that forms behind the tool when I'm
            machining FR4 PCB material as well.

            I would be happy to see any photo's you may have.

            Thanks again,

            Randall
          • txmagnia
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21, 2008
              I just posted a picture of Roland's vacuum attachment for a PNC-3000.

              This vacuum attachment measures 7 3/4" long x 4 3/8" wide

              Inside diameter around the spindle area is 3" inside x 1 1/2" tall.

              A 1 1/4" diameter tube pulls from the spindle. Tube is 4" long.

              A soft bristle brush fits over the 3" cylinder to pull chips away from
              your work. Makes changing the end mill in the collet a little harder
              to do.

              Hope this helps if you are trying to make your own version.

              Jack