Re: Importing a DXF into 3dengrave

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 15, 2008
      --- In CAMM-3@yahoogroups.com, "bcdeg2004" <bcdeg@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Dan.
      > You are quite correct about the sample .dxf. It's surprising what you
      > can learn from a banana.
      > I have a much better idea about what is going on, but I now see I need
      > to ask another question.
      > I understand how you can cut down to any section of banana, and produce
      > a flat area surrounding it, but I dont want to do the surrounding area.
      > Say I have an almost finished work piece, which just needs to have a
      > rectangular internal pocket milled into it (with corner rads ~ tool
      > sized). How do I do that?
      > The only way I can see to do it is with 3dEngrave. This wont let me
      > create the simple (Z -ve) rectangular hole/relief without me first
      > creating a (z +ve) relief enclosing the work piece. Then the tool path
      > generated insists in milling the whole external enclosure.
      > I'm learning slowly, but definitely missing something at the moment, so
      > any pointers will be well received.
      > Steve

      If you load up Modela Player, you can select Option -> Layout (I think) and drag the blue
      rectangle to select the cutting size (along with surfacing and the border it cuts etc.). This
      *should* only cut the area you select.

      I do know for a fact that you can select certain areas to cut, with certain tools, in certain
      orders in Modela Player 4. But it didn't take to my PNC-3000 too well as that software is
      made for newer machines.

      I've uploaded a guide I found from Roland on how to get the best cut using Modella. I've
      uploaded to the file section, but you could try this direct link:
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gEa1R8v-
      G8TbbaJQmibz4LU1gFdqy55hEt7vesxBPAdGPssD0kBfQKJaXzwrLAbZyK66BPk4NdVojxA_3r
      M-Kg/modela_cutting_tips.pdf

      I've also uploaded some Roland manuals for Virtual Modella and for 3DEngrave.

      Dan :-)