Re: camm 3 machine, new to lst

  • bcdeg2004
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
      Hi Guys,

      I bought my PNC-3000 very recently on eBay (UK) for £600, and I think
      mine is a bargain.

      As a beginner, I have made the effort to learn my way round a bit of
      some of the Roland software (in the files section here and on their
      websites), but I'm not that familiar with any other CAD progs so it
      was not such a big deal as it is if you do already have and know your
      favourite progs.
      For what it's worth, I thought the Roland S/W engraving capabilities
      were good / easy, but the general machining stuff was less fun. It
      seemed to want to do a lot of things for me automatically, whereas I
      would have preferred to actually see and study the g-codes and then
      get fewer surprises when I run the thing.

      So I want to keep it in OEM spec for engraving, and to be able to
      inject it directly with g-codes for other stuff.
      Tricky.
      But I've looked at the circuit diagrams and I think with a single PCB
      track cut, it should be possible to tri-state the big I/O IC's
      drivers and then feed my step and direction signals into the PCB at
      TTL levels so as to use the existing motor drivers. It looks to me
      like the XYZ counters will also still work at the same time which
      will be cool if it does work.

      This wont do the 1/2 stepping etc that you can do with Geckos or the
      like, but it might just keep me happy.

      And no, I have NOT done this yet, so there could be some fatal flaw
      in my thinking, but the main problem is escaping the wife and kids to
      go and play.
      Has anyone else done similar modifications to those I'm planning?

      Steve