G code and Rolands.

  • neilcarter38
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2007
      Hi all,
      Having discovered this site and read through all the posts. You guys
      must be the collective knowledge on Camm 3's.
      So I pose a question to you. I have a Camm 3 that due to a move from
      the UK to Oz I have not used. My background was in writing
      postprocessors at Unigraphics but now I am looking at machining some
      very small parts. cutter Dia from 1 mm to 0.2 mm.

      I really need g code to the Roland. Can this be done.
      and does the stepper motors run on half step?

      My thinking so far was. The roland camm 3 is a great well built small
      mill.
      so remove all the guts and steppers and convert it to run on a Mach 3
      control, which runs g codes half steps and leads to a great robust mill.

      or sell it and get something else but may be compremize a great solid
      machine.

      Whats anyones thoughts.

      I am only able to say I need to drill holes in the right place and
      create very small channels in to 3 mm thick plastic, and some of it is
      3d in the channels so NO STL style machining or dr engrave etc.
      The spindle needs to do 12k rpm so a small mod there too.
      looking forward to your views and best advice.
    • Dave Mucha
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2007

        > I really need g code to the Roland. Can this be done.
        > and does the stepper motors run on half step?

        I think the display on mine is good to 2 decimal places and that is
        in mm. so 0.01mm ?

        if that is the standard resolution of the machine, do you need better
        than that ?

        Before going to the cost and work of swapping out things, I would
        recomend you test the unit to see if it will do what you need just
        the way it works.

        I'm happy with mine, but have been toying with the idea of selling it
        as I am getting close to the end of my Mini-Mill CNC project.

        Dave
      • Neil Carter
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2007
          HI Dave.
          Thanks for your reply, I do not have my roland working or have any cam software currently linked up to it. What do you use for programming and what sort of post do you use? does it write out as Hpgl code.
          Thanks.

          http://mail.yahoo.com