Re: [CALBIRDS] How to find a fellow birder

  • JenC5@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
      Steve,

      One of the reasons I have not contributed actively to this list is that the
      tone, in the past, has quickly become rather nasty and to be truthful, I was
      rather intimidated. My question was not intended to solicit personal
      solicit fellow birders (which I thought this list was intended for).
      Obviously, you disagree. In the future, I will refrain from taking an active
      part in this list (just in case the answer is available "somewhere" else).
      Thanks anyhow.
      Jen Castro
      Oak Glen, CA

      > Jen,
      >
      > It's no longer a suggestion, it's a rule. Every message you send to this
      > list must include your first and last names, your e-mail address, and your
      > city.
      >
      > The Inland Empire is a big place. I think you'll find you get answers
      > faster if you ask specific questions rather than general ones. You don't
      > need to include a street address, but a city is minimum acceptable.
      >
      > Also, please use the web site to do research before asking questions. This
      > list and its web site are still young, but if you go to the Bookmarks
      > section, then Audubon Chapters, then SoCal Audubon Chapters and clicked on
      > your county, you'll find San Bernardino Valley AS.
      >

      > Good birding,
      > Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
      > Co-listowner

    • Bob & Carol Yutzy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2001
        Hi Jen,

        I would suggest looking in your local newspaper for nature oriented filed trips and attend them and find some other
        bird, butterfly or flower lovers and see if you can get together and go out with them. Check out the clubs listing in
        the paper and look fo the above oriented groups and don't forget photography clubs - they usually have some bird
        oriented folks.

        Another option would be to check with your local Junior college, Senior college and/or high school with adult education
        programs. Look for bird, california plants and animals, and similar classes and take them (or arrange to go on their
        field trips).

        Check at any nature centers for groups or trips and attend them.

        Also find out if there are any nesting, atlasing, banding or other bird projects you could volunteer for by asking any
        or all the above.

        You are bound to meet bird oriented people there in any of these.

        Also if you have a nearby bigger city, get involved and attend their Audubon meetings. I bet you meet some other people
        who live near to you who also attend the meetings.
        It might even be worthwhile to run an ad in your local paper looking for like oriented people and set up regular
        meetings (at a safe public place/library, etc.) and field trips.

        I would also try to get the beginning type birding magazines - Birder's Digest, Wild Bird and Birder's World.

        Well those are just some ideas.

        Good Luck,

        Bob Y. in Redding Calif.

        JenC5@... wrote:

        > Steve,
        >
        > One of the reasons I have not contributed actively to this list is that the
        > tone, in the past, has quickly become rather nasty and to be truthful, I was
        > rather intimidated. My question was not intended to solicit personal
        > solicit fellow birders (which I thought this list was intended for).
        > Obviously, you disagree. In the future, I will refrain from taking an active
        > part in this list (just in case the answer is available "somewhere" else).
        > Thanks anyhow.
        > Jen Castro
        > Oak Glen, CA
        >
        > > Jen,
        > >
        > > It's no longer a suggestion, it's a rule. Every message you send to this
        > > list must include your first and last names, your e-mail address, and your
        > > city.
        > >
        > > The Inland Empire is a big place. I think you'll find you get answers
        > > faster if you ask specific questions rather than general ones. You don't
        > > need to include a street address, but a city is minimum acceptable.
        > >
        > > Also, please use the web site to do research before asking questions. This
        > > list and its web site are still young, but if you go to the Bookmarks
        > > section, then Audubon Chapters, then SoCal Audubon Chapters and clicked on
        > > your county, you'll find San Bernardino Valley AS.
        > >

        > > Good birding,
        > > Steve <mailto:steve@...>, <mailto:mobile@...>
        > > Co-listowner

        > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email.

      • Scott Spencer
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2001
          >Hello,
          >I have been a "backyard birder" for some time and can recognize most (but not
          >all, especially differentiating the finches) of the birds that come along.
          >How does one find a fellow "birder" to do day trips with? Any reference to
          >lists or organizations would be appreciated. Thanks.
          >Jen

          To persist beyond what probably seems reasonable -- here's another idea

          My wife (and I, of course) belongs to the American Birding Association

          <A HREF="http://www.americanbirding.org/">Click here</A>

          out of Colorado Springs, CO - which publishes an annual directory
          called "A Birder's Resource Guide". It includes names & addresses of
          (willing) members sorted out by state and first three digits of their
          ZIP code, eg. mine is CA/940/Spencer. If you're interested and will
          supply me with the equivalent info for your area - I'll xerox a page
          or two of our '01 Guide and send it along. Presumably the people in
          this book are at least moderately tolerant of calls from strangers
          asking for area birding info.

          I'd need your ZIP and a mailing address, right? Looking that over
          again, I see that what I really need is just a mailing address ;<}

          Cheeps, Scott

          P.S. Looking once more at my last two lines -- I conclude that in
          this mailing list business, you want to be concise -- but not so
          concise that you "damage the surroundings" or "hurt" one of your
          email correspondents. We're all in this birding biz for pleasure,
          right??
          --
          Scott T. Spencer aka stspencer@...
          Menlo Park, CA spouse: AWfolks@...